PDA

View Full Version : Turbos

lilpat86
10-19-2002, 06:50 PM
If you are putting a turbo onto an engine would you want to use the deepest dish style pistons? Or would you use a piston that is closer to a flat top?

hondaman87
10-19-2002, 08:12 PM
as far as I know u have to put the deep dish to lower your compression

smufguy
10-20-2002, 07:58 PM
lower ur compression with those special cleaves on the piston head. Talk to Justin (88turboAccord) he would help u a lot cause he had the working turbo on a A20.

sorry man, i dont know what the fuck i was smoking. :banghead:

88turboaccord
10-21-2002, 01:40 PM
My Name is Justin... Anyways, you want the dished pistons.. Reason being, that is how you lower your Compression ratio..

jteuton
10-22-2002, 08:32 AM
Hey Justin ,,,(HaHa I know his name...j/k).....could you get away with using a thicker head gasket or would that spell just more trouble?

88turboaccord
10-22-2002, 08:49 AM
Well since I went through 4 head gaskets in 1 year, I do not suggest it. Eventually I will replace the stock head gasket with a copper one.. The stock stuff doesn;t like the 20 plus psi of boost all to well.. I do not mind changing them on my car, pretty much everything is simple to me now.

jteuton
10-22-2002, 09:43 AM
Hey I didn't catch what turbo you exactly used and where you got it. I was leaning to a T-25 Garret for quick spool times or is this turbo to small for our engine size. Did your tubo have an internal wastegate? I was hoping the T-25 does and i'm pretty sure it does since it was factory equipped on alot of models.

88turboaccord
10-22-2002, 10:25 AM
I am running a t-3 super 60 turbocharger... The biggest t-3 turbo made. I don't use an internal wastegate.. I use a turbonetics deltagate markII.

jteuton
10-22-2002, 11:32 AM
Damn man but your talking alot of $$$. I was wanting a custom setup for around 4 to 5 hundred dollars (minus the exhaust manifold). T-25 are pretty plentiful around here. I'm not familiar with the type your using......who makes it? I know the T-25 garret can't handle more than 15psi .....but at first I was wanting to get about 5-6psi to save on costs (no intercooler). So cheapest setup would be a T-25, BOV, Tubing, Custom Exhaust Manifold $$$, high flow fuel pump, custom oil and cooling lines,......anything else major I'm missing .......I might spring for a boost gauge too.

88turboaccord
10-22-2002, 12:14 PM
You need:
Custom Manifold (Exhuast)
Custom Downpipe made
Blow Off valve
Ignition.. MSD BTM (Boost timing master) I would suggest this)
Inline Fuel Pump
Turbo with intergrated wastegate
Boost gauge
a "t" for the oil to the turbo (off of the oil filer housing)
an oil return set-up (to the oil pan, requires welding)
Vortech FMU 12:1
Piping
Clamps and silicone slips
Misc. clamps, hoses, stuff.
I would also get a FPR along with a fuel pressure gauge

But you are still looking for around $1200-$1500 if you play your cards right, buy a lot off of ebay.

RobT5580
10-22-2002, 12:21 PM
I dont think your gonna pull that off for 4-500, a stock fuel pump is over $150. Im not saying it cant be done cheap but you still have some core requrements to meet before you can run the turbo. I would check out www.homemadeturbo.com if you didnt already. he does it as cheap as possible but he runs higher levels of boost. I am gonna build a turbo someday but only the correct way because of the high maitnance and i want it to be reliable. I think your gonna have more problems than you want such as weak clutch etc. Its gonna be one thing after another and if its your daily driver i would reconsider unless you have another car.

jteuton
10-22-2002, 06:41 PM
I do have another car. I have an act clutch. Its not my daily driver. I can pratically get the turbo for about 50 bucks. Fuel pump 150 bucks. BOV for around 150 if I can pull that off> That leaves about 200 for the misc stuff. I already have the FPR and the gauges. Like I said this is cost without the manifold and pipes. I don't know maybe I'm crazy and Its going to cost me an arm and a leg

jteuton
10-23-2002, 07:36 AM
Ok can you answer this one question for me. How do you fool the map sensor into seeing vacuum when the manifold pressure is going to be positive. Will this screw the computer up bad and if so how is it fixed?

jteuton
10-23-2002, 09:20 AM
Also explain that 12:1 fmu......that seems awful high even on an inline pump. Your talking 100psi of fuel pressure on modest boost (5-6psi) .....want that crap out the fuel system?