PDA

View Full Version : Update about un-explained high revs on carburated 89 accord

HON-DUH
07-17-2012, 06:14 PM
-

CzEcHy
07-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Loosen the adjusting nut on the throttle linkage, it should loosen the throttle cable just a tad.

Shouldn't stick after that and if you loosen it just a turn you won't notice a difference in the pedal

Just to help some more, its in the engine bay on a bracket near the carb. Two nuts on the cable on the bracket.

HON-DUH
07-17-2012, 08:13 PM
-

Dr_Snooz
07-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Replace your throttle cable.

CzEcHy
07-18-2012, 10:51 AM
He shouldn't need to replace his cable, it may just be over tightened. I had that problem with my stock carb and weber. Just have a small deflection in the cable when car is off or at idle and it shouldn't idle high ever again.

The adjusting nut, is TWO nuts, both near a bracket near the carb. Loosen both and the cable should automatically loosen. Then double check that you didn't tighten the cable more, retighten the nuts also making sure you didn't tighten the cable, then take it for a drive.

(I use to use the pull up on gas pedal trick also), so this is from experience.

Edit, if I remember correctly, the nuts should be on a small bracket connected to the side of the carb. You can't miss em, they are near the throttle linkage on the carb

POS carb
07-18-2012, 11:25 AM
either the throttle plates are sticking, return spring is broken (it's a coiled up one behind the throttle plate brackets, hard to see), or throttle cable is overtightened or damaged.

charliekuney
07-18-2012, 05:52 PM
lol, did you check to see if it was a physical blockage? Maybe some WD-40?

HON-DUH
07-18-2012, 10:53 PM
-

charliekuney
07-21-2012, 12:39 AM
hai thar

...because it doesn't always stick down, there are some occasions in which the gas pedal I guess doesn't stick and the revs are normal

You know something, I've noticed that a lot of quirks and noises from my car are due to temperature. My car acts up when it's cold - the clutch squeaks, the brakes squeal, the car fights to go into first, etc...maybe your problem is the same?

lostforawhile
07-21-2012, 06:23 AM
I know what you mean on the cable being over tightened, it's easy to do need a just a slight amount of free play