PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

2geetrey
07-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Been having some issues with my 3 gee lately. Last week it doesn't start when I go to leave work, seems like the carb flooded, I try holding the gas pedal all the down and starting which usually works when it floods, not this time. So I figure I'll have the wife come get me and try it again the next day still nothing.

Yesterday I spray some carb cleaner in it the best I can with out taking the air cleaner assembly off and it starts, but it idles real low like between 250-500 rpm. If I give it any gas you hear a suction sound then it chokes it down even more then jumps up to about 1100 rpm for a couple seconds then back own to around 500.

Any thoughts?

Dr_Snooz
07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Are you smelling gas when it floods? You can try adjusting, but you're probably going to need to overhaul the carb.

2geetrey
07-20-2012, 05:56 AM
I do smell gas. When you say overhaul, are you talking a new carb, or one of those reapair/rebuild kits. I would love to throw a webber in it but that's just not in the budget right now.

Thanks for the help Dr.

Dr_Snooz
07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Rebuild kit. Overhaul is another word for rebuild.

Check to make sure the choke is not hanging up and staying closed when it shouldn't. My gut instinct is to think that the needle valve(s) are leaking, which would require a complete overhaul to fix. There might also, however, be a fuel cutoff solenoid that is malfunctioning, allowing gas to flood the carb when the car is off. That seems less likely, but you can fix that without a rebuild, so it's worth looking into. I don't know enough about these carbs to help you with that, but maybe someone will come along who can help.

Be warned that these carbs are devilishly difficult to rebuild. If yours does not have sight glasses on the bowls, I would say you have a very high likelihood of not finishing the rebuild successfully. It's nearly impossible to adjust the floats without them.