PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions.

Legend_master
07-22-2012, 04:05 PM
This was as close to factory as i could find in a 15" hubcap. I am undecided as to if I like them or not. Im gonna have to trim the front wheel studs to fit the front wheels, but this pic helps see how it looks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/c7a4c25b.jpg

elarson88
07-22-2012, 06:48 PM
They look similar to the 13" factory ones I had. Those actually look like some Nissan ones I have seen before. For hubcaps they look fine, but I think steelies, beauty rings and center caps would look better. Or the rims in your signature pic.

Legend_master
07-23-2012, 08:36 AM
They look similar to the 13" factory ones I had. Those actually look like some Nissan ones I have seen before. For hubcaps they look fine, but I think steelies, beauty rings and center caps would look better. Or the rims in your signature pic.

They do look similar to the older maxima ones. Those beauty rings are not cheap, if I can find a set for a nice price I will pick them up. Plus these will help with aerodynamics and gas milage.

Dr_Snooz
07-23-2012, 01:05 PM
I like them. They have a very clean and tidy look and contrast well with the dark paint and windows.

A18A
07-23-2012, 02:14 PM
i likie them. plain steelies by themselves are overrated

2oodoor
07-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Did I miss the ' i want plastic wheelcovers and no more alloy wheels for me' thread? Im confused but ok those do look close to oem.
Cut the wheel studs? Huh? Um no. Improvise if you'r going to need the long studs again:ugh2:
I guess you could paint the steelies bumper silver and use little center caps like a civic dx if thats the look you're going for?

DBMaster
07-23-2012, 03:56 PM
My LXi came from the factory with wheel covers. The Honda ones suck. After just a couple of years the silver paint was chipping off. I spent half a day sanding and repainting and they looked great for about two years and they started chipping again. Then, a chunk broke out of the edge of one - don't know why as I didn't hit anything. They were some kind of semi-flexible plastic that won't hold paint well and gets brittle. When I went with cheap covers for a while I just bought a set of cheap lug nuts. Ultimately, I got some alloy wheels from Discount Tire for $70 each.

Dr_Snooz
07-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Then, a chunk broke out of the edge of one - don't know why as I didn't hit anything.

With my sister's old '86, someone tried to jack her wheel covers one night. She drove around with a bent cover after that until she finally sold the car. It was nearly impossible to keep these cars from getting stolen during the '80s and '90s.

DBMaster
07-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Jack the wheel covers? LOL! I guess the stupid thieves didn't know that Honda's wheel covers are held on by the lug nuts. I actually watched a tire guy in 1991 try to pry off one of my covers. I had to go out to the bay and tell him that they don't pry off.

That was about the only thing I liked about them. Maybe if Krylon fusion had been around in the early 90's my paint job would have last longer. I painted my LXi factory covers charcoal gray metallic. I'll look around on my computer at home because I know there's a pic of it. People used to ask me often where I bought "those cool wheels." Unfortunately, once the paint began flaking off again they looked even worse. They were the same covers you have on yours, Snooz. I can't believe that in 1989 a $15,000 car couldn't have come with alloy rims as standard.

lostforawhile
08-01-2012, 09:59 AM
They do look similar to the older maxima ones. Those beauty rings are not cheap, if I can find a set for a nice price I will pick them up. Plus these will help with aerodynamics and gas milage.

let me go and see if I still have the box for mine, they weren't that expensive and are good stainless steel, the issue is you need ones with a shallow lip, lots of beauty rings are for american cars and the lips are too deep

2ndGenGuy
08-01-2012, 10:25 AM
I think those wheel covers look pretty good. Especially in that 15 inch size! Sporty hub caps!

ecogabriel
08-01-2012, 02:25 PM
I guess you could paint the steelies bumper silver and use little center caps like a civic dx if thats the look you're going for?

That is an alternative that I would consider once I wear out the new 13" tires I got a while back

I think those wheel covers look pretty good. Especially in that 15 inch size! Sporty hub caps!

x2

carotman
08-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Beauty rings ftw

lostforawhile
08-01-2012, 04:56 PM
That is an alternative that I would consider once I wear out the new 13" tires I got a while back

x2
the closest you will get to factory Honda silver is the Argent silver, it's a common color for American cars

Dr_Snooz
08-01-2012, 05:43 PM
I can't believe that in 1989 a $15,000 car couldn't have come with alloy rims as standard.

I can't believe that a little car with a carburetor, cast iron block and heavy steel rims could get 35 MPG.

Legend_master
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
I can't believe that a little car with a carburetor, cast iron block and heavy steel rims could continue to get 35 MPG 25 years later.

Fixed :dunno: .

I'm going to put the front ones on before I invest in beauty rings. I'll post pics when I get them on.

lostforawhile
08-01-2012, 07:11 PM
I can't believe that a little car with a carburetor, cast iron block and heavy steel rims could get 35 MPG.

the steel rims sometimes actually weigh less then early factory aluminum rims, I know these geo prism steelies I've got weigh 2 pounds less each then the teg rims I took off, they didn't have the lightweight alloys they have today so the rims had to be heavier to handle the same loads, they had the alloys but not on most production cars, too expensive