PDA

View Full Version : ....so 3 weeks ago

Calypso
07-22-2012, 07:40 PM
3 weeks ago I bought a 89 Accord sedan (240.000km)that leaked oil like a %$^3, blew smoke, water and anything else that was in there:toilet:
After spending 3 weeks under the car, this is what I've managed.

The oil leak: New pan gasket. Still leaked. There is a plate that the oil filter mounts to. There is a gasket in there that looks like a skewed figure 8.
Oil leak fixed.

Burning Lotsa Water: New head gasket. Fixed. Also replaced the intake gasket, exhaust gasket and timing belt at this stage. New valve cover gasket.

The thing runs like a champ and drives fast with no vibrations. All Cv boots were perfect; struts look good, 1 shock is pooched. It gets 30/ miles to the gallon. (Canada, our gallon is bigger)

Now, the bad: Its developed a nasty idle problem and blows smoke like a bastard on a cold start. After that, its completely fine. Could I have missed a vacuum spaghetti thingy here some where?....I've gone over everything 3 times. I really don't think its a seal or ring, (dreaming?) Its like the PCV valve is mucked, but its brand new! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2oodoor
07-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Great job tracing that oil leak! You can check the pvc plumbing from the vaccuum source to the oil separater. Ive found the Plastic piece the pvc slides in to be cracked and not sealing too well.

2drSE-i
07-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Ive found the Plastic piece the pvc slides in to be cracked and not sealing too well.

Yep, EVERY TIME.

Oldblueaccord
07-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Mines loose too. I wonder sometimes if that adds to my oil leaks. Any good way to seal it up? Im thinking about some teflon tape for the time being.

wp

2drSE-i
07-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Mines loose too. I wonder sometimes if that adds to my oil leaks. Any good way to seal it up? Im thinking about some teflon tape for the time being.

wp

I Jerry rigged mine with some 1" hose and a PCV valve from some domestic car.

Dr_Snooz
07-23-2012, 12:58 PM
and blows smoke like a bastard on a cold start.

Probably your valve guide seals. They can be fixed with the head on the car if you know "the rope trick."

Excellent leak sleuthing, BTW.

Calypso
07-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone!...and thanks for the heads up on "the rope trick". I've talked to a few people about it and although everyone says I should just use compressed air, its an appealing idea for the simplicity.

Anyway, I've found a couple people (enthusiasts) interested in purchasing the vehicle just for the shell. ($500.00 bucky?) The car has almost no rust anywhere which I find surprising, as I know lotsa people with newer Hondas that have way more rust.

I'm looking at some newer stuff (Hondas) with FI. Seems way easier to deal with than that vacuumed carb. That is one nasty piece of engineering. Apparently, it has a mind all its own!:rant:

Calypso
08-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Ok people, you're not gonna believe this. When I purchased the vehicle, I put a good 1/2 litre of seafoam in the crankcase and I've been mucking around with the carb ever since! Today, after standing for 3 days, it didn't smoke at a cold start at all. CRAZY? I had d/l'ed the shop manual and went through a good portion of it, today. I didn't find a vacuum leak but what I did find find was a blocked tube. I stuck an aquarium fitting(air filter) on the end of the vacuum tube (metal) that I cut off before the the airbox and its running like new! :rockon: The bloody carbs are a nite mare, OMG! Long story short, For a 100 HP's, its doing pretty good.

Dr_Snooz
08-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Sweet! Nice work!