PDA

View Full Version : slow power windows

mykwikcoupe
07-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I've always advocated the use of Honda silicon spray on the rubber pieces throught the car. I've always lubed the run channels with them. Recently on my hatch this has been having little effect overall. I saw a video on YouTube stating Honda has issued a release stating the cause of the slow windows to be the run channel itself. What's everyone else's opinion on this. It may be a weak electrical system causes by poor contacts and 25 years of corrosion or it may be worn parts from use. It may be the run channels as stated from Honda. What's the best fix with available parts. I'm assuming most would be aftermarket due to lack of factory inventory.

2oodoor
07-26-2012, 02:23 AM
I recently found a Honda TSB on this issue, quite detailed. I don't recall seeing it here before. I will see if I can extract it fom Alldata and post it.
It does involve adjustments that lessens the bearing of the glass on the channels.

Oldblueaccord
07-26-2012, 09:00 AM
I bought a new motor from Rockauto. pretty big difference. I think the magnets get weak in the motor over time.

There is something to be gained by minor window adjustments. it takes alot of patience, which I ran out of pretty quick, but by hand you can make it slide very nice or so tight you want to get a hammer and smash it out.

wp

Dr_Snooz
07-26-2012, 12:48 PM
The cheapest option is to open the door and check things out. If something is broken or worn out, you'll see it. Also, check the adjustment and condition of the regulator. Nine times out of ten, I find them to be full of dried up old lube and fairly worn. Lube everything up well. Grease every track and all gear teeth. Oil every pivot and hit the lower felt tracks with silicone spray. If you can remove the regulator and work the lube into the mechanism by hand, that's best, but I've had plenty of success squirting randomly at the desired part and then working it in with the motor. Finish up by adjusting the regulator. I usually just go for a good tight seal when closed, but it depends on the car and the adjustment options. With some additional adjustment, you can usually make regulators work for a good while longer. I think I'm going on ten years in the 4g. I've only had to replace one motor and that was because the brushes wore out. It just stopped working one day unless I banged on the door panel. I don't think I've ever replaced a regulator, but I tend to douse everything in lube at the first hint of trouble. Of course to be fair, I abhor blowing wind and tend not to open my windows unless I have to. Like when the officer is knocking on them.

Rendon LX-i
07-26-2012, 06:57 PM
very common had this problem ever since i got my car. Even on the new GSR i just got. Slow. DB8 are something pretty easy to work on. There is adjusting marks on the regulator. Ive seen Tsb's on this as well. says to clean and adjust if needed. Im going to have to talk to a honda tech that works next to me at work. he does all the hondas and imports. doing it for years. Im sure he done tons of recalls regrading these problems. Ill will let you know tomorow.

But as form my experiance the cables on the regulator tend to bend up and make the motor work harder. I just recently greased my regulator and rails. with air compressor grease. Worst thing to use is lithum grease. SO DONT USE IT lol.

mykwikcoupe
07-27-2012, 06:38 AM
good you said not to use lithium, I was either going to use that or some silicon grease. I was planning to pull it apart anyways, just figured id find out as much as i could before i dug into it.

When spraying the tracks, Ive always just left them in place in the door. Is it more effective to remove? I was going to pull the regulator anyways and cleaning and regreasing sounds like it may be good enough to rule out everything else out except the motor.

Rendon LX-i
07-27-2012, 10:55 AM
You basicly said it bro. K talked to the the master honda tech an what tends to Run down the motors is the RUN CHANNEL. easy fix is to replace it. Honda TSB says to just replace or add there paste aka Silicone grease. in the run channel. you have to take it off thou. the rubber tends to wear out causing a dry spot and causing the windows to go up slowy.

If you just replace the regulator or motor and proceed ,IT will fix the problem for a short time before the problem comes back again.

So silicon grease/paste is applied to Run channel. HAVE to remove from door and apply it well.

Dr_Snooz
07-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Worst thing to use is lithum grease. SO DONT USE IT lol.

That's all I've ever used. What am I missing?

Rendon LX-i
07-27-2012, 05:11 PM
what happens is it drys out. becomes very thick past and collects alot of dirt making the problem worse. Ive have repaired alot of windows cause people tend apply a shit load of Lithum grease. its not meant for windows. its not meant for sunroofs either. its a bitch to clean out. i charge 0.5 tenths to remove the shit thats if it didnt already miss up the regulator.

From experiance dont use it. Used silicon paste on the run channel and air compressor grease on the regulator rail.

mykwikcoupe
08-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Pull apart both doors. The passenger side got cleaned and relubed with sil-glide from Napa. The tracks lubed with spray Teflon. The drivers was a whole other story. The regulator was cracked and the spring gone. The motor was skipping possibly worn teeth. The glass nylon mounts had been replaced and the rear moved forwardabout 1 width of the bracket the front pulled off again. I glued it back on with 3m window weld. I went and got another regulator cleaned and repined as well. I haven't had a chance to try it out with the weld drying. I sure hope everything works like new again.

import racer
08-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Why do u have to take the channels out,why can't u use a pop sickle stick to put some grease in the channels.I use synthetic grease on sunroof slides.

Dr_Snooz
08-06-2012, 06:06 PM
what happens is it drys out. becomes very thick past and collects alot of dirt making the problem worse. Ive have repaired alot of windows cause people tend apply a shit load of Lithum grease. its not meant for windows. its not meant for sunroofs either. its a bitch to clean out. i charge 0.5 tenths to remove the shit thats if it didnt already miss up the regulator.

From experiance dont use it. Used silicon paste on the run channel and air compressor grease on the regulator rail.

What is air compressor grease? Sorry, that's a new one to me.