PDA

View Full Version : Embace the Patina?

stormsurfin
07-26-2012, 07:07 AM
SO I figure there's not going to be a chance for me to restore her, so I figure why not knock all the rust off, put a little clearcoat over the bare spots and do some freehand pinstriping and whatnot. Its sorta a way of making fun of these kinda cars.
http://cdn.lsxtv.com/files/2011/05/IMG_0219-300x225.jpg
http://www.youarejokingright.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/IMG_1894-500x333.jpg

Will anybody get it?

Here's mine.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/553581_10100225029940242_810856238_n.jpg

gfrg88
07-26-2012, 10:07 AM
too played out.. Although not on these lovely old cars :) I say do it!

derolph
07-26-2012, 10:20 AM
How to tell from you pic but the sides, at least the left side, looks fairly good. I think I'd try re-finishing the hood and headlights, even if I had to do it with spray cans of paint. You might be able to remove most of that dent on the hood; do a search on youtube for videos on dent pulling.

stormsurfin
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
How to tell from you pic but the sides, at least the left side, looks fairly good. I think I'd try re-finishing the hood and headlights, even if I had to do it with spray cans of paint. You might be able to remove most of that dent on the hood; do a search on youtube for videos on dent pulling.

The sides are rusty still, just not showing primer like the hood and trunk

stormsurfin
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
too played out.. Although not on these lovely old cars :) I say do it!

Where in Colorado do you live?

lostforawhile
07-26-2012, 02:04 PM
why would you make fun of the car? why not look for a hood and spray bomb it even, with careful masking it would look decent, better then rust, you aren't going to have a lot of fans here if you are doing this just to make fun of the car., why would you think you have no way to restore it? you can do a lot more then you think without spending a lot of cash, these are cars that people here have learned to fix themselves,frequently with junkyard parts and parts obtained from other members

stormsurfin
07-26-2012, 02:52 PM
i can fix it up, i just live in a condo, commute 2 hours every day and don't know if i will get my money/effort out of it when i sell.

i went to a local junk yard and just to fix the antenna, replace the rusty gas door and headlight cover, amber signal lens, and sun visors, i'm lookin at $100.

AccordEpicenter
07-26-2012, 03:57 PM
paint the offending parts satin black. Looks good and cheap

lostforawhile
07-26-2012, 05:52 PM
i can fix it up, i just live in a condo, commute 2 hours every day and don't know if i will get my money/effort out of it when i sell.

i went to a local junk yard and just to fix the antenna, replace the rusty gas door and headlight cover, amber signal lens, and sun visors, i'm lookin at $100.

thats crazy, put an add in the classifieds here, thats way too much for those parts, I think I have a gas door, it needs blasting but I can do that , and I have numerous amber lenses around, lots of guys here collect parts or will pull small parts when they make a junkyard run, why not fix the car and keep it?

stormsurfin
07-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Its only temporary vehicle. I figure while I have it, fix it up and sell it. I'll not need a car where im going in the near future.

What would you want for the parts?

lostforawhile
07-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Its only temporary vehicle. I figure while I have it, fix it up and sell it. I'll not need a car where im going in the near future.

What would you want for the parts?

probably not much which headlight part is missing the trim or the metal part? I'll have to look at the u pull it yard next time I go but they should still have the headlight part, if it's the trim do you have the one with the dots or the lines?

stormsurfin
07-26-2012, 07:21 PM
probably not much which headlight part is missing the trim or the metal part? I'll have to look at the u pull it yard next time I go but they should still have the headlight part, if it's the trim do you have the one with the dots or the lines?

The metal is what I'm looking for, I'd like to get the same color, which is i guess dependent on luck. There's a part out in classifieds here, I think it's the same color.

$25 for the headlight cOver as well, working on parts and prices with him still.

I didn't expect someone to go junk yard shopping for me!

stormsurfin
07-26-2012, 07:26 PM
paint the offending parts satin black. Looks good and cheap

There's not much to the paint thats not blemished unfortunately.

I worked on it a bit today, well cleaning mostly. And maybe it'll deserve a maaco paint job. Not sure yet. Doing valve cover gasket at a friends house Sunday, hav a bearing on order. I'll be doing a bearing in a month or so.

lostforawhile
07-26-2012, 08:28 PM
The metal is what I'm looking for, I'd like to get the same color, which is i guess dependent on luck. There's a part out in classifieds here, I think it's the same color.

$25 for the headlight cOver as well, working on parts and prices with him still.

I didn't expect someone to go junk yard shopping for me!

people here do this frequently, many of us make regular trips to the yard, parts are hard to find in some places, and easy in others so we try and help each other. I don't make much on parts, I usually break even, but I don't mind the time to help a fellow member, I'm often there looking for stuff for my car anyway. on the valve cover gasket, it's pretty easy, the main thing to remember is clean the surface on the head really well, and in the corners where it goes from flat to round at the bearings caps, you need a little sealer in each corner. also don't overtorque the bolts, the gasket is like an O ring so it doesn't need much to make it seal. These cars go through a lot of valve cover gaskets, but it's a simple fix.

gfrg88
07-27-2012, 11:20 AM
I live in englewood. If you wanna meet up with a couple of us tonight, go to highaltitudeimports.com

Or message me so I can give you all the info

stormsurfin
07-27-2012, 01:17 PM
grfg88 - not tonight, i'll keep it in mind in the future. thanks!

lostforawhile - i seem to remember hearing from friends back in the day that these gaskets were regularly needing to be replaced now that you mention it.

I think I'm going to find some material to recover my sun visors. I'll most likely get a aftermarket deck down the road.

I'll be doing the antenna at the same time as the radio. The light cover and gas door have some heavy rust, so rust free parts rather than cleaning them up just a preference of mine.

Been casually thinking about that $50 roller paint job, don't know how that'll fare on the resale market....

gfrg88
07-27-2012, 06:10 PM
grfg88 - not tonight, i'll keep it in mind in the future. thanks!

lostforawhile - i seem to remember hearing from friends back in the day that these gaskets were regularly needing to be replaced now that you mention it.

I think I'm going to find some material to recover my sun visors. I'll most likely get a aftermarket deck down the road.

I'll be doing the antenna at the same time as the radio. The light cover and gas door have some heavy rust, so rust free parts rather than cleaning them up just a preference of mine.

Been casually thinking about that $50 roller paint job, don't know how that'll fare on the resale market....

If you do the 50 dollar paint job, get a harbor freight electric spray gun and shoot it ;)

stormsurfin
07-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Good idea on the harbor freight sprayer. Not sure if I'll have place to spray tho

gfrg88
07-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah. You probably need some kind of a ghetto rigged booth at least.. Btw, there's a meet this sunday if you're interested.. http://www.facebook.com/events/307614299334066/?notif_t=plan_user_joined

There's the link to it :)

lostforawhile
07-28-2012, 12:27 PM
if you don't plan on keeping the car, just mask carefully and just spray bomb it, I've seen some decent spray bomb jobs, it's all in the preparation and using decent spray paint, the stuff for cars will have UV inhibitors vs the walmart stuff without them

lostforawhile
07-28-2012, 12:34 PM
here's a really good article on how to use cans and get good results, if the car is pretty beat up and rusty, this will at least make it look decent and uniform, pm me too on your parts and what you need I have the gas door and the headlight cover

stormsurfin
08-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Gotta get paid before I buy parts, bills getting in the way at the moment.

As for the paint, I'll probably bit by bit clean up the dented and rusty spots, and if its not really winter yet by the time I'm finished, I'll figure out how to spray her.

lostforawhile
08-01-2012, 03:01 PM
let me know what all you need and I can put it up it's not in my way or anything I'm not asking much, better that someone has the parts then they sit and rust

lostforawhile
08-01-2012, 03:03 PM
did you ever see my sunvisors? I just need to buy some much darker tinted plexi is all, they are almost impossible to recover factory as it's vinyl molded over the foam and the button that holds it in the clip is molded over the vinyl

stormsurfin
08-01-2012, 03:14 PM
I reupholstered my sunvisors with an old pair or khaki pants, sewn just as if it were a pillow