PDA

View Full Version : how to fix holes in trunk lid seal?

derolph
07-27-2012, 11:33 AM
My 88 LX-i has some holes in the trunk lid seal and they seem to be the cause of some water leaking into the trunk during heavy rains. See photo below. I'm wondering whether I can seal those holes some way. If not, then I'll need to replace the entire seal. I have never removed or installed one of these seals.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/farmpond/Automotive/trunkseal.jpg

Would electrical tape work? Or, some kind of sealer compound?

Dr_Snooz
07-27-2012, 12:43 PM
I'd be looking more at the taillight gaskets than the trunk weatherstrip. Do you get condensation in them? If so, then the gaskets need to be replaced. The last time I replaced gaskets, they were $15 each. Which is a lot. I have had good luck substituting a thick bead of silicone for the gaskets.

As for the weatherstrip, it's a topic that hasn't really come up here. The seals on these cars seem to last an extremely long time. I don't know of any place to find replacements or any way to make a universal type replacement work. Attempts at seal repair tend work work better in theory than practice. The best bet is to replace. If you need it. Which I don't think you do.

derolph
07-27-2012, 01:30 PM
I understand your thinking the leak is probably coming from somewhere else but I"m pretty sure it's coming from the trunk lid weatherstrip because the wetness on the trunk carpet seems to occur directly below the holes on the weatherstrip. There are 2 or 3 mores holes near the one in the photo.

Actually, the problem was worse at one time and I found a hole rusted through the trunk rim near that hole in the weatherstrip. I patched the hole with body filler and that improved the situation and I thought for awhile that the problem was solved. But, some recent heavy rainfall here reveals there's still a slight leak. I'll take another careful look at the trunk rim (under the weatherstrip); perhaps there's still a hole in the metal. If I find no rust holes in the metal, then I'm still inclined to think water can still leak into the trunk along the rim.

I think I'll try electrical tape, knowing it may not stick and may not stay in place a long time. Replacing the weatherstrip may ultimately be the only good solution. If necessary, I hope I can find one somewhere besides a Honda dealer, where prices tend to be outrageous.

import racer
07-27-2012, 02:48 PM
You could try some weather strip adhesive that might seal up the holes.

Shawn87AccordDx
11-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I'd be looking more at the taillight gaskets than the trunk weatherstrip. Do you get condensation in them? If so, then the gaskets need to be replaced. The last time I replaced gaskets, they were $15 each. Which is a lot. I have had good luck substituting a thick bead of silicone for the gaskets.

Do you know anywhere that sells the gaskets? I had about 2" of water by the spare tire...my tail lights are fogged.

t3_demitriy
11-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Моя 88-я LX имеет несколько отверстий в уплотнении крышки багажника и они, кажется, являются причиной некоторых протечки воды в стволе во время сильных дождей. См. фото ниже. Мне интересно, могу ли я запечатать эти дыры каким-то образом. Если нет, то мне придется заменить весь уплотнения. Я никогда удаления или установки одно из этих уплотнений. Будет электромонтажные работы ленте? Или какой-то герметик соединения?

http://a.d-cd.net/e4f646u-960.gif

разрежь и вставь силиконовую трубку

derolph
11-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Моя 88-я LX имеет несколько отверстий в уплотнении крышки багажника и они, кажется, являются причиной некоторых протечки воды в стволе во время сильных дождей. См. фото ниже. Мне интересно, могу ли я запечатать эти дыры каким-то образом. Если нет, то мне придется заменить весь уплотнения. Я никогда удаления или установки одно из этих уплотнений. Будет электромонтажные работы ленте? Или какой-то герметик соединения?

http://a.d-cd.net/e4f646u-960.gif

разрежь и вставь силиконовую трубкуCan anybody read this? I don't even know what language it is.

t3_demitriy
11-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Rassian

t3_demitriy
11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Can anybody read this? I don't even know what language it is.
google translator to you in a help

ghettogeddy
11-12-2012, 09:29 PM
he basivly had most or your post in there then added this and the picture
Electrical work will be tape? Or a sealant compound? Cut and paste the silicone tube

my best idea would be to adjust the trunk lock so it closes tighter. those wholes should not allow water in