PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Switch Question

import racer
07-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know what color the wires to the clutch switch are,my car starts in gear without clutch pushed in.The wires going to my switch is pink and black,I had to change the plug and I may have hooked up the wrong wires.thanks

import racer
07-27-2012, 07:01 PM
So the clutch switch has 2 wires but the brake light switch has 5 wires does that sound right.

AccordB20A
07-28-2012, 02:53 AM
clutch switch with pink and black is for cruise control only. when you push in the clutch it disables the cruise control.

import racer
07-28-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't have cruise so that doesn't help me,Where is the switch for the clutch so the car won't start without pushing the clutch.

2ndGenPreludeSi
07-28-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't know 'bout you guys. But my 2g lude doesn't have a clutch switch. I don't have cruise either though, haha. My car starts without the clutch in.

AccordB20A
07-28-2012, 02:52 PM
youll have to add the wires youself. your model obviously doesnt have a clutch switch that disables the starter

ShyBoyCA6
07-28-2012, 03:28 PM
I think the pink and black is the clutch switch and the second one(the one hiding on top) is for the cruise control when you engage the clutch. my car wouldn't start so i cut the switch wires (pink and black?) and put them together and started right up, with or without clutch being pushed. But Im gonna fix that soon since i dont like starting it without the switch for safety reasons.

oldschool3g
07-28-2012, 03:51 PM
I think the pink and black is the clutch switch and the second one(the one hiding on top) is for the cruise control when you engage the clutch. my car wouldn't start so i cut the switch wires (pink and black?) and put them together and started right up, with or without clutch being pushed. But Im gonna fix that soon since i dont like starting it without the switch for safety reasons.

Shyboy is right. I did the exact same thing with mine..starts without the clutch being pressed but ive left it in first twice and reverse once..very scary when u start it lol

lostforawhile
07-28-2012, 04:25 PM
odd the 86 has the switch but in the dx without cruise it does nothing, the dx also doesn't have the start relay which the switch lets operate. The cruise and that start relay share the same switch, it's a ground is all, the dual switch is on the brake switch, one switch two circuits

import racer
07-28-2012, 05:22 PM
I only have one switch and the pink and black wires going to it and it's plugged in.

import racer
07-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Could the 5-speed ecu have something to do with it,I changed mine but haven't drove it since .I have to get the water pump tube fixed first.

ShyBoyCA6
07-28-2012, 08:32 PM
I only have one switch and the pink and black wires going to it and it's plugged in.

Could the 5-speed ecu have something to do with it,I changed mine but haven't drove it since .I have to get the water pump tube fixed first.

remember to tighten it the same as it was before taking the switch. you barely want the pedal the touch the switch, you dont want it banging the shit out of it when you release the pedal. Also since you have the switch plugged in it should be working correct? if so then if still turning on with the clutch up then i suspect your plastic or rubber pad on the clutch pedal is broken or fell out. so check that and if its missing then that's your problem, you want that to ground your switch so when the pedal is up so the won't start the car.

Either ecu will work. Has nothing to do with the switch. all its doing is grounding it self.

A18A
07-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Shyboy is right. I did the exact same thing with mine..starts without the clutch being pressed but ive left it in first twice and reverse once..very scary when u start it lol

It's even worse if you have a remote start setup. I almost 'drove' my car through a fence once without even being near the car :lol:

import racer
07-29-2012, 03:45 AM
The little rubber pad is still there,When I took the peddles out of the coupe and put them in I had to cut the plug of the coupe because the plug on the sei wouldn't plug in the switch.The only reason I ask is because the 89 is supposed to work that way,I'm used to putting in the clutch to start from driving my 87.

ShyBoyCA6
07-29-2012, 05:53 AM
The little rubber pad is still there,When I took the peddles out of the coupe and put them in I had to cut the plug of the coupe because the plug on the sei wouldn't plug in the switch.The only reason I ask is because the 89 is supposed to work that way,I'm used to putting in the clutch to start from driving my 87.

Wait what? So why not just switch the switchs instead of cutting the plug? Also your post is confusing. ..so the coupe was what year and trim level? Or is your coupe a 89 sei?

import racer
07-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Because the car was auto and now it's manual,I took the pedals out of the coupe and put them in a couple years ago because I knew I was going to change it later on.The plug was diff when I put the pedals in so I switch the plug while I still had the car,I never did a manual swap before so wasn't sure what to change.

charliekuney
08-01-2012, 01:07 PM
From what I understand only 1989 Honda Accords had the clutch bypass - both of my 88's do not require the clutch to be depressed to start the car (so yes, it can be started in gear).

lostforawhile
08-01-2012, 01:36 PM
From what I understand only 1989 Honda Accords had the clutch bypass - both of my 88's do not require the clutch to be depressed to start the car (so yes, it can be started in gear).

whats strange is the 86-87 dx have the switch but it has no use, it might be used by the computer but not sure