PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Back-up Light Switch Wiring

blitz209
07-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Trying to have my back-up lights working on my 86 accord m/t. When I took a look at the switch; I only saw a green wire and it was cut. I couldn't find any loose wires/cables. Is there any other ways I can wire a new switch when I receive it?

King Peetis
07-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Funny, I was working on mine this past weekend. There should be two wire leading to the switch. One green and one yellow. About 10 inches from the switch, there should be two bullet connectors. Disconnect and investigate. Be ready with a can to catch the gear oil when you remove the switch. Be prepared to install the new one so as not to loose too much oil. Also the wires are soldered to the switch leads--no connectors needed.

blitz209
07-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Where would I be able to locate the two bullet connectors (ie: above/under tranny or near the bumper)? Because right now the only thing visible is a good inch and a half or less of green wire on switch and can't locate the connectors/leads. I'll try to post a pic when I can. And thanks for replying.

import racer
07-31-2012, 07:17 AM
Should be in that harness that goes past the distributor.

King Peetis
07-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Should be in that harness that goes past the distributor.

Yep, you should see a couple of wires branching from the harness on the right side down low near your cross member...

lostforawhile
07-31-2012, 06:37 PM
I'll try to find the wire color codes, if the connectors at the switch are gone, you can take the cover off the outside of the switch,clean the metal terminals and solder wires to the switch, then you can attach spades or bullet connectors or whatever you want, thats what I had to end up doing. Just make sure to heat shrink the soldered terminals at the switch, you will need to unscrew the switch to do this, the switch will have two wires, it's one of the only switches in the car that switches the hot side of the circuit instead of ground. one wire comes from the fuse, then goes out into the harness to the bulbs

blitz209
07-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the help! I'll work on it this coming weekend.

lostforawhile
08-01-2012, 04:39 AM
yellow, green/black