PDA

View Full Version : remove radiator

1skatingrink
08-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I need to replace my radiator on my 86 lxi. Do the fans come out with the radiator? Should i buy a one row or spend extra money for two row? Thanks for any replies Bill

conozo
08-07-2012, 06:21 PM
They are attached to the radiator but removable, I believe you can take the whole thing out in one piece.

247shuer247
08-16-2012, 04:06 AM
yes they can be removed as a whole. although its a tight fit

as for the rows you would be better off with a two row radiator.

i just put in a brand new aluminum 3 row radiator works like a champ

derolph
08-19-2012, 08:48 AM
I didn't know radiators had "rows". LOL Can the rows be seen from a side view? How does a one row look different from a two row or three row?

I replaced the radiator in my 88 LX-i in 2009. I just bought the only model available from the auto parts store. It's most likely a one row, right? I've had no problems with it overheating and we do get some hot weather in summer here in Ohio. Of course, the fans sometimes kick on.

Dr_Snooz
08-19-2012, 03:14 PM
I think you'll be okay buying any old radiator. If you were pulling a trailer or had a boosted engine, you would want to think more carefully about a higher capacity radiator. These cars were very well designed for most anything the average person will encounter.

DBMaster
08-19-2012, 07:48 PM
If you want to see the "rows" look inside the filler neck and you will see the ends of tubes are in rows. My OEM and replacement radiator were both 2-row. As Snooz noted above, the factory setup is more than adequate. I never had hot running problems with mine in 23 years. Of course, both of your electric fans should be working when sitting in traffic and running the A/C in 100 degree weather. Synthetic oil knocks the temp down a couple of degrees as well.

derolph
08-20-2012, 06:08 AM
If you want to see the "rows" look inside the filler neck and you will see the ends of tubes are in rows. My OEM and replacement radiator were both 2-row. OK, mine is 1-row. Paid about $100 for it at AutoZone.

DBMaster
08-20-2012, 08:52 AM
^Hmm. I wonder if I am wrong about mine. I don't have the car anymore so I can't go check.

MessyHonda
08-20-2012, 07:14 PM
yes if i remember right the stock radiator was a 2 row radiator with metal endtanks. Now i only have a Koyo replacement that is 2 row and has plastic endtanks.

DBMaster
08-21-2012, 04:58 AM
I definitely know that the OEM radiator had plastic tanks. My first replacement unit had metal tanks, which I thought was great, until the solder joints cracked and it started leaking after only three years. The manufacturer sent me a new one, no charge, and it had plastic tanks. It was still doing fine nine years later. I would strongly recommend a Koyo radiator from an eBay seller. They are price well (under $100) and have aluminum core with decent quality construction. The one from Auto Zone may be fine as well.