PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Honda Accord M/T Transmission Issue

Gt-r
08-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Alright I've been doing looking round the forum and I found the answer i needed to my question. My 89 accord is doing the whining noise whenever I get to 5th gear. It actually starts in 3rd and gets louder as you shift higher.

From what all of you said i have to do a fluid change on the transmission. Question...How the hell do I do that on the manual transmission? I don't know where to put the fluid in at cause I never had to do this.

And while I'm here what would be the cause of me having to shift down to 2nd then third gear just to get to 4th gear from 5th.

ShyBoyCA6
08-12-2012, 05:46 PM
From what all of you said i have to do a fluid change on the transmission. Question...How the hell do I do that on the manual transmission? I don't know where to put the fluid in at cause I never had to do this.

The Drain plug should be at the bottom left of the transmission forgot which tool i used but if i'm not mistaken a socket wrench with no socket. To fill it with new oil the cap for that is side of the transmission, you should be able to spot it. i can remember what size of socket to remove it. You will need like a U shape hose with a long cone to put the new oil.

Also i think your 5th gear is probably toast and working its way down to the other gears as well. but im sure someone else could answer this better since i haven't had this problem yet myself.

Gt-r
08-12-2012, 06:06 PM
The Drain plug should be at the bottom left of the transmission forgot which tool i used but if i'm not mistaken a socket wrench with no socket. To fill it with new oil the cap for that is side of the transmission, you should be able to spot it. i can remember what size of socket to remove it. You will need like a U shape hose with a long cone to put the new oil.

Also i think your 5th gear is probably toast and working its way down to the other gears as well. but im sure someone else could answer this better since i haven't had this problem yet myself.

Issue is I still have my fifth gear. It still pulls itself along just fine. I just have to move the transmission into 2nd then 3rd then fourth before releasing the clutch.

MessyHonda
08-12-2012, 11:10 PM
how many miles on that trans? sounds like its on its way out. what i do is jack up the passanger side up and take off the wheel. like Shyboy said the drain plug is near the bottom of the trans and you can take if off with a 3/4 ratchet. i take off the fill hole plug witch is a 17mm and just fill it up till it starts to drip. It takes around 2.5 quarts of oil.

Gt-r
08-12-2012, 11:34 PM
how many miles on that trans? sounds like its on its way out. what i do is jack up the passanger side up and take off the wheel. like Shyboy said the drain plug is near the bottom of the trans and you can take if off with a 3/4 ratchet. i take off the fill hole plug witch is a 17mm and just fill it up till it starts to drip. It takes around 2.5 quarts of oil.

I don't know the miles on the transmission itself. The car total has roughly 259,000 on the dashboard. But the guy who I bought the car from said he rebuilt the transmission roughly 6 months ago. So there is no telling really the miles on the rebuild.

MessyHonda
08-12-2012, 11:40 PM
yeah sounds like something is not right. Use Honda manual fluid when you switch the oil

Gt-r
08-12-2012, 11:46 PM
What gets me though is it happened out of the blue. the day I drove the car home and for bout 2 months after that no noise no issues whatsoever. Then I'm heading home from a friends house and BAM! it starts the whining noise and it starts shifting funny. I did find out after I started this thread that two of the transmission bolts were bout to fall out.

POS carb
08-13-2012, 02:29 PM
I had a similar issue. All of a sudden it became difficult to get into gear, by the time I made it home 4th wouldn't engage all the way, it would grind when I let the clutch out. Opened it up and found parts had started eating into each other. Also found the bolts at the torque rod were missing/loose when I got the engine pulled.

You can try a fluid change but I'd do it with cheap motor oil first, I think your trans is toast.

There is a drain bolt and a fill bolt on the passenger side of the trans, just shove a 3/8 ratchet into it to remove it (it has a square hole in it)
You're supposed to fill it with a hand pump through the fill hole until it comes out, I hate hand pumps so I take out the power steering/speedometer gear deal on the top and pour it in with a funnel.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se001_m02.png
#6 is drain
#8 is fill

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se001_e19.png
#3 is what I remove to fill the trans, it is held by one 10mm head bolt (#10 in the drawing)
You don't need to remove the hoses or speedo cable, just move it out of the way and don't get dirt on the gear

Dr_Snooz
08-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Well I would start by checking the fluid level in the trans. If it's missing bolts, and the issues started out of the blue, then I would say you lost a lot of fluid and it's busy grinding itself to filings now. I don't see any reason to think the trans is bad just yet, but if you don't correct this ASAP, it will be. (Also make sure all the bolts are tight.)

Gt-r
08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Alright. Next time I can get the car to sit still I'll try doing the fluid and see if it corrects the issues. Cause I can't afford to get a different transmission or a rebuild kit.