PDA

View Full Version : Weird Idling issue

Gt-r
08-12-2012, 07:35 PM
I have a 89 Honda Accord that has been having wierd idle issues. Somedays it will idle normally at around 1000-1500 rpms on a fresh of the day start up. And the rest of the day it will idle normally. But like today it went straight to 3000 rpms and didn't lower down until bout 30-40 minutes later. And it would rev idle itself upto around 3500 rpms at will.

But the only time it didn't do this funky idle is when my heater hose was bout to rupture. It actually idled itself normally.

88dx1
08-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I have a 89 Honda Accord that has been having wierd idle issues. Somedays it will idle normally at around 1000-1500 rpms on a fresh of the day start up. And the rest of the day it will idle normally. But like today it went straight to 3000 rpms and didn't lower down until bout 30-40 minutes later. And it would rev idle itself upto around 3500 rpms at will.

But the only time it didn't do this funky idle is when my heater hose was bout to rupture. It actually idled itself normally.

Your distributor is probably loose

Gt-r
08-12-2012, 07:54 PM
We had checked the distributor and it's snug like it should be.

Buzo
08-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Something is opening the throttle body for you and causing the high revs.

Stuff connected to the throttle body's shaft:

1) The choke assembly. Jammed mechanism.
2) The Idle boost solenoid. Vacuum leak in the hose. (passengers side vacuum actuator).
3) AC boost solenoid if equipped. (drivers side vacuum actuator).

The service manual is somewhere here in the forum.

The only way an engine can accelerate, is letting air entering through the carburetor's throttle body, so the air flow can suck the required fuel and the combustion can be maintained.

If you apply fuel only, the engine will die. If you apply advance only, the engine will die, if you let air entering through any place other than the throttle, the engine will die.

Dr_Snooz
08-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Carb or FI?

Gt-r
08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Carbed

H86accord
08-28-2012, 09:03 PM
i think its a vacuum leak. does it die when its warm and the choke is fully open after you step on the gas? if it does it might be this vacuum line.
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual/62se300.pdf
go to page 9-3 its a hose that goes to manifold to manifold it looks like a n. check if is cracked then replace if needed.
hope that helps