PDA

View Full Version : loss of brake pressure???

Deathconfess
08-14-2012, 04:02 AM
When braking my pedal is really soft. It seems there is some pressure but if I push the pedal down even further its like the pressure is lost and the pedal suddenly goes all the way to the floor with no stopping power. Anyone know what's going on? Every now and them ill have normal brakes but its pretty often they go soft. Especially when stopping from a high speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Oldblueaccord
08-14-2012, 05:06 AM
Well first off I wouldn;t drive it with out figuring out what is wrong.

I would look at the brake fluid level. Pull the cap off and look at the level and the fluid condition. Brake fluid is clear out of the bottle. If it low I would fill it but look for a leak.

Usually lack of pressure is the master cylinder is bad.

wp

Deathconfess
08-14-2012, 05:26 AM
Well she's off the road right now. Just changed the clutch. Working on new cv joints, tie rod ends and new bushings. I just wanna fix the brake issue while she's in the lab lol

Oldblueaccord
08-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Rear wheel cylinders get old and leak esp if the pads are right down to the metal.

Front pads down to the metal with also will make the pedal travel to far.

wp

Deathconfess
08-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Rear wheel cylinders get old and leak esp if the pads are right down to the metal.

Front pads down to the metal with also will make the pedal travel to far.

wp

Pads are good and I have fluid. I can feel the sudden pressure drop in my pedal when braking. And if I pump my brakes I usually get good pressure. I'm leaning towards the master cylinder. They are cheap and easy to fix so I'm prob going to start with that

Oldblueaccord
08-14-2012, 06:44 AM
On the cheap you could bleed all 4 corners but usually its the MC bypassing.

Not a pleasant exp loosing brake pressure. Honda is the only car I have owned/ heardof that this can happen rather suddenly.

wp

2oodoor
08-14-2012, 08:58 AM
On the cheap you could bleed all 4 corners but usually its the MC bypassing.

Not a pleasant exp loosing brake pressure. Honda is the only car I have owned/ heardof that this can happen rather suddenly.

wp

yes, at least you would have all new fresh fluid in the system that way. The fluid could be contaminated with H2O, new fluid may reseal a little.
Ive had/seen several cars lose pedal without obvious prior warning.
Come to think of it one was a 1st gen Accord...

Deathconfess
08-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Yea that's pretty much what happened... one day I got in my car went to the store, coming to stop at a light and bam, no brakes. Had to use my ebrake to stop. One of my jobs is moving to another city so I have to get this fixed asap. I just ordered a new master cylinder from jcwhitney. Hope that's the problem

DBMaster
08-14-2012, 11:38 AM
My M/C used to go out every 100K miles like a calendar. I did the brake fluid changes every 30K miles, just like Honda recommends. The M/C was the only part of the fluid circuit that ever went bad on me. Every time mine went out it the pedal would sink to the floor once the engine compartment got warm and the fluid thinned out. I never lost all the brakes, though, only half the system - just like the designers intended. First replacement was an OEM cylinder and after that I went aftermarket. They all seemed to last about 100K miles. Could be the way I brake or the hot weather here, I don't know.

Rendon LX-i
08-14-2012, 11:46 AM
check for leaks first off and do a brake flush. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (water absorbing). So if the fluid was never changed your fluid lost its boiling point so when under extreme heat you have brake fade (pedal slowing going down or instead drop)

Most likey sounds like a M/C. does not matter if its new or old shit is not made perfect and the square cut seals are the ones that are going bad in the m/c which would need to be overhauled.

So flush system and put new m/c and your golden. cheers