PDA

View Full Version : having problems with idle

86dxautohatchback
10-19-2002, 10:30 PM
I'm havin some probs with my idle when i first start up. It idles at about 2 and a half grand until it warms up a little and then i hit the gas and it finally goes down to about 800. Any one have any suggestions on what the prob could be?

goldyaccord
10-19-2002, 11:04 PM
that's normal.

choke comes on for about 4 mins or so and then drops down to 800.. u can disengage it by tapping the gas if u are in a hurry.....

86dxautohatchback
10-19-2002, 11:48 PM
thanks man, just not too familiar with hondas. I got one bc i couldnt afford to use my Nova as a daily driver

Champ87AccordLX
10-24-2002, 09:23 AM
Well, when mine is already warm and I go to the store or something and come back to crank it up, it shoots up to bout 2000 rpm and won't come down if I tap the gas a little. Sometimes it increases when I tap the gas. This doesn't happen all the time, just every once in a while there would be a day that it does it twice. What's up with that???

DanG86LX
10-24-2002, 09:57 AM
Champ87AccordLX>>> Well, when .. I go to the store ...
I would say, u shopping for too long, cuz the choke's bimetallic spring cools a little and partially closes the flap just enough to push the fast idle cam to its 1st step. It should really be ~ 1700rpm. The fast idle unloader doesn't work for 1st step, ur have to wait till electric heater do its job and pull the choke flap to vertical. That's how it works on my car anyway.
It might be that ur fast idle cam need adjustment, there is a screw there in FAQ.
Ben found a faulty check valve (green) on his car, i think at throttle controller, could be that too.

ACCORD EX
10-24-2002, 09:58 AM
could be the pvc valve ! and clean your car and all the linkages using a carb cleaner !

MIKE

88' Accord Ltd
10-24-2002, 01:35 PM
Mine sometimes takes a few times to start in the morning, ill start it it will go to like 1200 rpms then like in half a second it dies. Then try it again, it does the same thing. But on the third time it turns over and idles really nicely and goes into the fast idle. Any ideas what the problem could be making it die a few times before it idles fine?

DanG86LX
10-25-2002, 02:10 PM
88' Accord Ltd, that's what's bothering me for the last 3..4 years. There are several threads about that:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6618
It was seen as a fuel problem. Fuel from float bowl evaporates and goes somewhere !? but where? Well, on my car I found this carburetor thermovalve:
http://87accord.com/carbpage.html , Left side of carb, "A"
was stuck open, then fuel vapors would go to charcoal canister. This valve should be shut when its temp. is below 30*C, then vapors would go through internal vent tubes into air filter box or down into intake manifold till next start.
I removed the hose from valve and plugged them both, seem to have solved the problem.
This thermovalve is kind of nuisance but Honda got it there for a reason which become obvious shortly: when u stop for like 30mts and try starting the car again, the engine is flooded! That's when the thermovalve is open and fuel vapors are supposed to go to charcoal canister.

Other ppl suggested to cycle the ignition switch ON-2sec-OFF several times without starting the car, then push gas pedal 1..4 times, then start the engine. That way the fuel pump refill the float bowl.

Just experiment one way or the other..

accord_lx_86
11-03-2002, 02:54 AM
when i start my car it goes up to about 2500...then when it starts to idle down...the lowest it will idle at is 1500...i've adjusted both the throttle cable...and the idler to the side of the carb