PDA

View Full Version : question about heads

GDGuy11B
10-20-2002, 06:14 AM
are all the 3g heads the same? if i get the head from an LX, could i use that to get ported and polished, then put it in my LXi? and about cam regrinds...will the reground cam still fit properly if you've had you head ported and polished?

Micah

MoonScryer
10-20-2002, 08:36 AM
Yes, and Yes.

bobafett
10-20-2002, 11:24 AM
sawweeet.

how tough would it be to snag those parts from a junkyard? and also would they need to be in good shape, or would it matter for the heads? (i know sometimes the cam has to be in ok shape to regrind it)

i would also like to add a question, along the same lines. could you swap the intake manifold and pistons from an 88-89 into an 86?

also, if i go for the ultra low boost turbo project, will i want to go with the higher compression 88-89 pistons? or stick with custom turbo pistons?

GDGuy11B
10-20-2002, 05:53 PM
someone raised a question about the distributor bolts not being the same? anybody have more info on that?

MoonScryer
10-20-2002, 06:06 PM
LXi head uses 3 bolts to hold distributor on, LX uses two.

OK, I missed that one :p

smufguy
10-20-2002, 07:56 PM
nope u did not. the distributor housing on the head is NOT part of the head, It can be taken out and its not a huge problem. If ur a carb guy and u got a efi head swapping it to ur motor, dont worry. If ur a efi guy with a carb head, dont worry again cause u can swap the last distributor mount from ur block to the one u got from the junk.