PDA

View Full Version : got my first love back

1989 accord lxi
08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Hello to everyone on here viewing! Well the time has come and i bought me and my wife another 89 lxi 1 owner 112,xxxmiles and its nice and clean drove our last one to 300,xxxmiles!!!! Was wondering since a newer a20a3 motor owner does any body have spark plug info which are great good and bad? thank you and happy hondaing!!!

import racer
08-15-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm running E3's and they work great,but most like using NGK's .

DBMaster
08-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Oh boy! Welcome and congrats on finding one with such low mileage! I used a number of spark plug sets during the life of my car and I have to say that it doesn't seem to make much difference. The set that was in when I wrecked it was E3 (http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/) I got them on special from Drivewire. I also used Bosch platinum, regular Champion (what the car came with from the factory), NGK, Denso, Autolite Platinum, and Split Fire (on clearance at a local K-Mart). All worked fine and none seemed to do anything for fuel economy or performance. Platinum plugs will last about twice as long as copper-core plugs so there you go.

Now, I KNOW that other people here will have different opinions.

Dr_Snooz
08-15-2012, 05:59 PM
I think the general consensus on the board is that NGK V-Power plugs are the best for these cars. I haven't really done any experimenting though.

And welcome!

MessyHonda
08-15-2012, 11:25 PM
I think the general consensus on the board is that NGK V-Power plugs are the best for these cars. I haven't really done any experimenting though.

And welcome!

yes...i paid 9 bucks each for the Iridium NGK plugs and it ran better with the V powers. This is after i swapped to OBD1 and MSD blaster coil and MSD box. so just save your money and get the v powers

A18A
08-15-2012, 11:37 PM
I've always had a shitty experience with iridium plugs in these cars. dunno why that is

lostforawhile
08-16-2012, 03:16 AM
they were designed to run on NGK V power, I don't know why any others would have been in the engine from the factory unless the dealer changed them, I know NG works with Honda designing plugs for their new engines and has fr years

DBMaster
08-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Lost, my Accord was built in Ohio and it most definitely came from the factory with Champion plugs and a Delco battery. I was the original owner. My only spark plug grip ever was that the exposed metal parts of Autolite platinum plugs would rust. Never noticed any differences, pro or con, from one spark plug to the next. I think a lot of it is psychological.

Dr_Snooz
08-16-2012, 07:18 PM
I have to say that the first generation Bosch Platinum plugs made a noticeable power improvement on my old '76 Accord.

obdriver6
08-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Welcome! I'm running Bosch platinum 2 and they've worked good so far, might go NGK on my next set of spark plugs.