PDA

View Full Version : Land speed record..

gtoman
08-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Is there a land speed record for the 3rd gen accord? I can't seem to find it anywhere online if there is one. If there isn't one then I think we should form a task force of members to set one.

Adam

lostforawhile
08-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Is there a land speed record for the 3rd gen accord? I can't seem to find it anywhere online if there is one. If there isn't one then I think we should form a task force of members to set one.

Adam

I would like to see someone build one of the turbo cars and strip it out just to set one, we have the advantage of the wedge shape being very aerodynamic, there are a ton of tricks such as not even needing cooling fans etc, once you are running you are good, the main limiting issue are the tranny gears, to truly break a record would require a totally different set of gears and a different differential, the gears have to be setup for top speed only, many of those cars need to even be push started which is totally legal, the main difference is you aren't trying to hit top speed like in a drag race, land speed cars often accelerate very slowly yet hit much higher top end speed, a drag race car has to hit top speed in a quarter mile, a land speed car has a very long run up area before it hits the traps

gtoman
08-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I know all that...

Soooo you're in?

Adam

lostforawhile
08-16-2012, 09:56 PM
I know all that...

Soooo you're in?

Adam

if I had the funds I would be all over this

MessyHonda
08-18-2012, 04:38 PM
johnny 800hp H22 hatch

lostforawhile
08-18-2012, 05:15 PM
johnny 800hp H22 hatch

the problem is his is setup for short high speed runs, you need an exact opposite setup for land speed, you need a car that accelerates slowly but can reach a very high speed, there is a long runup to top speed before you hit the traps, most landspeed cars can't even get out of their own way in a short distance

A18A
08-18-2012, 05:37 PM
chuck some big truck wheels on the front lol.

lostforawhile
08-18-2012, 05:46 PM
think of land speed racing as the opposite of drag racing

cygnus x-1
08-19-2012, 09:49 AM
The biggest problem you will have with a 3g is keeping it on the ground. They're pretty light so without a lot of added down force you would just launch and fly. You wouldn't need ridiculous HP since they're fairly low to begin with and don't have a large frontal area. I think you would be doing very well to get one safely up to 200MPH.

C|

lostforawhile
08-19-2012, 10:34 AM
The biggest problem you will have with a 3g is keeping it on the ground. They're pretty light so without a lot of added down force you would just launch and fly. You wouldn't need ridiculous HP since they're fairly low to begin with and don't have a large frontal area. I think you would be doing very well to get one safely up to 200MPH.

C|

there was a guy who got a honda 600 up to 190 out there, if he can keep it on the ground I think we can keep these pretty aerodynamic cars on the ground, a hood spoiler no matter how stupid it looks would go a long way in keeping the front end down, this is one of those times when a big properly designed wing actually does something useful, a real one is basically an upside down airplane wing section, instead of generating lift,the faster it goes the more downforce it creates,this is also where your side skirts etc come in, the more you can slow airflow under the car the more downforce presses down on top due to the pressure difference

Dr_Snooz
08-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Realistically though, how hard would it be to re-gear the trans? All you'd have to do is find a smaller ring gear for the diff and a larger pinion gear for the mainshaft. Even if you had to have them custom machined, would it blow the build budget?

Here are some numbers I ran from the 200 MPH thread (www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74615):

Here's some fun.

http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html

A carbed MT 3g (highest geared of all of them) tops out at 160 mph with a stock trans, tires and stock redline of 6,250. If you drop the stock 3.866 final drive to 3.1, you're bang on 200 mph. Alternatively, if you bump the stock redline up to 8k, you're at 205. That's all do-able.

According to these guys, http://carspector.com/car/honda/013509/, CD for a sedan is 0.33 with a frontal area of 21.527 sq. ft. Minimum HP for 200 MPH is 376.17. It would take some doing to cram all that in the front of a 3g I think. Maybe not do-able from a HP standpoint.

A coupe (http://carspector.com/car/honda/013512/) is better with CD of 0.32 and frontal area of 20.99 sq. ft. Minimum HP for 200 MPH falls to 355.66. I can't find info on a hatch but it's probably the same.

I just found the CD for the hatch and it turns out to be the worst of all at 0.34 (http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=96767).

The coupe seems to be the best platform for a high speed car. Probably any cheap body kit from eBay will take care of the aerodynamics, a few relatively minor tweaks to the engine and trans and 200 MPH is well within reach. I would have no concerns about the suspension at that speed, though a set of coilovers would help dial in your drop.

My only real worry would be the short wheelbase. The steering would get very twitchy at higher speeds.

gtoman
08-19-2012, 04:44 PM
So the game plan would be something like this:

Find a MT coupe, add safety cage, add turbo power, increase rev limit to 8500 rpms, fab a smooth front splitter and use smooth hub caps and fab side skirts, remove side mirrors and antenna, find a slower ratio steering rack or install a larger steering wheel to lower the ratio that way, lower ride height.

Ebay body kits can sometimes make drag worse because those cheaper kits are almost never wind tunnel tested.

I bet with a few guys working together this could be done for less than the price of a good used car.. $10-11k Now where did I leave that money tree??

Adam

POS carb
08-21-2012, 10:19 AM
I hit 80mph this morning

gtoman
08-21-2012, 10:59 AM
I hit 80mph this morning

Nice. Next try for 82mph. You can do it. I believe in you, however if the cops ask, you never heard of me. Get it. :squint:

I did about 85 a few days ago but my chassis and suspension parts are all pretty worn out so I didn't think it was safe to go any faster. My gto however has taken me right to 160mph..shhh don't tell noone..

Adam

lostforawhile
08-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Realistically though, how hard would it be to re-gear the trans? All you'd have to do is find a smaller ring gear for the diff and a larger pinion gear for the mainshaft. Even if you had to have them custom machined, would it blow the build budget?

Here are some numbers I ran from the 200 MPH thread (www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74615):

I just found the CD for the hatch and it turns out to be the worst of all at 0.34 (http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=96767).

The coupe seems to be the best platform for a high speed car. Probably any cheap body kit from eBay will take care of the aerodynamics, a few relatively minor tweaks to the engine and trans and 200 MPH is well within reach. I would have no concerns about the suspension at that speed, though a set of coilovers would help dial in your drop.

My only real worry would be the short wheelbase. The steering would get very twitchy at higher speeds.

most of the ebay body kits would blow off the car at 200 MPH, it takes a well made reinforced kit to hold up at that speed, you are talking about the speed of a nascar, the suspension is very important, the salt is not totally flat, it has dips and ridges, especially in the last few years, if the suspension becomes upset at that speed, it would be a disaster, one good bounce,air gets under the car and it's all over. I think the power could be gotten out of an H22, we know they can be installed in the car, and that horsepower level is possible. I wonder if a balanced and blueprinted A20 with stronger head bolts could hold up under the bottle that long? remember you not only have to make one pass, you have a certain amount of time to repeat it for it to be official, I suppose you wouldn't need to do that if you were just wanting to prove it could be done, Don't think for a minute this is something that can be thrown together quickly or cheaply, Study Johnny O's project threads, thats basically what you are building. I've been on the salt in 93, dry lakes prepped 280 Z, took a bunch of guys and a shit load of work and sponsors to pull it off, and I didn't even break any records. It was worth it, but I know realistically whats involved, The safety is very important in these cars, you are running a lot longer then a drag car, if the car lifts at speed you have a very real chance of dying, it's happened many times before, it will happen again, I would consider going again, but my wife doesn't want me racing any more, so for her sake and my health issues I've developed I had to hang up the helmet

lostforawhile
08-21-2012, 02:54 PM
This is a really good example of what can happen at Bonneville when air gets under a car, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq-C99wjAlQ

I went 195.3 MPH and I barely missed being in the 200 MPH club, dammit. I have too many people depending on me now to do this stuff anymore

lostforawhile
08-21-2012, 03:19 PM
here you go, almost the same car I ran but he went 146, I went almost 200, this gives you an idea of whats it's like in the car, you aren't driving these cars at this speed, you are trying to keep them pointed in a straight line, the car is for all intents and purposes flying or near flight, AUGHHHHH!!!! I WANT BACK OUT THERE!!! :rant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWLBLZY1KCs if you really want to understand this stuff, take a trip out there at speed weeks, talk to the drivers,the crews,officials, you just have to go,even if you aren't running, it's incredible

Dr_Snooz
08-21-2012, 06:34 PM
This is a really good example of what can happen at Bonneville when air gets under a car, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq-C99wjAlQ

I went 195.3 MPH and I barely missed being in the 200 MPH club, dammit. I have too many people depending on me now to do this stuff anymore

That's a sobering video.

lostforawhile
08-21-2012, 06:41 PM
That's a sobering video.

another good example of why you want the best cage done by the best welder you can find, even if there's a weight penalty with a cage thats more then whats required, If you are flipping over and over or upside down, you aren't thinking is my cage too heavy? you are thinking thank God I used the heavier tubing, with a crash at the lakes, it's not just a one time impact, that cage has to hold up until all that energy is dissipated,basically all the energy that was moving you down the track at high speed has been transferred from the wheels of the car and forward motion, to the body of the car and it trying to tear itself to pieces, I almost has this happen to me, the car started getting light and I had to back off and let it settle, the Mazda flying through the air is pretty close to what would happen to one of our cars at this speed

lostforawhile
08-21-2012, 07:06 PM
another one from the salt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfX2mH_tok&feature=player_embedded

MessyHonda
08-30-2012, 11:31 AM
one day il hit 130

AccordEpicenter
09-02-2012, 02:16 PM
you guys do realize that I have enough gear to go 200mph+ on 24.5" slicks right? This is on an LX/DX trans and spinning 7500rpm. It works out to 204mph. The big problem is not the gearing, the big problem is getting the car aerodynamic enough to compete and not want to fly. Stock aerodynamics of the car produce lift, not downforce in these cars, and thats a huuuge problem at 200mph. I always wanted to try this but its sooooo hard on engines because they usually have little or no cooling and have to run wide open in high gear for miles at a time. Theres wayyyyy too much cost and impracticality to make the car a contender for salt flats or the texas mile etc. I considered blocking off the front grille of my car and seeing what it could top out at mph wise on high boost... i def have enough power to go 170-180 id say, but it would need aerodynamic body mods to go any faster and keep it on the ground, no matter how much power you have. Aerodynamics are huge in the top speed game, even more so than hp, but it is a close 2nd. I recall some guys running a civic to 211mph but they had like 700+hp and some aerodynamic body mods etc...

lostforawhile
09-02-2012, 03:51 PM
you guys do realize that I have enough gear to go 200mph+ on 24.5" slicks right? This is on an LX/DX trans and spinning 7500rpm. It works out to 204mph. The big problem is not the gearing, the big problem is getting the car aerodynamic enough to compete and not want to fly. Stock aerodynamics of the car produce lift, not downforce in these cars, and thats a huuuge problem at 200mph. I always wanted to try this but its sooooo hard on engines because they usually have little or no cooling and have to run wide open in high gear for miles at a time. Theres wayyyyy too much cost and impracticality to make the car a contender for salt flats or the texas mile etc. I considered blocking off the front grille of my car and seeing what it could top out at mph wise on high boost... i def have enough power to go 170-180 id say, but it would need aerodynamic body mods to go any faster and keep it on the ground, no matter how much power you have. Aerodynamics are huge in the top speed game, even more so than hp, but it is a close 2nd. I recall some guys running a civic to 211mph but they had like 700+hp and some aerodynamic body mods etc...
you cut out the spare tire well on the trunk or in the hatch, and run the radiator horizontally with fans blowing down and out the bottom, I had to run an electric water pump on the Z because of the distance,but this is how we did it, also mounted a fan blown big ass oil cooler under the hood and a fan blew constantly through it during the run, this allows you to close up the front end, spilling secrets here :hsugh: we just ran two tubes the underneath of the car, one was coolant to the radiator and one was back. if you have everything calculated as far as amp load, you put enough battery in the car to complete your runs and run with no alternator, you would basically take a front bumper and copy it in glass in an aerodynamic shape with no openings