PDA

View Full Version : 2.5G Carb and Trans issues

Civic Accord Honda
08-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Hey everyone. i found this minty 85 for dirt cheap! its all original other then the high stop light. has 102K miles
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/fastnfurious1990/85%20accord/IMG_20120814_100145.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/fastnfurious1990/85%20accord/IMG_20120814_100153.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/fastnfurious1990/85%20accord/IMG_20120814_100204.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/fastnfurious1990/85%20accord/IMG_20120814_101710.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/fastnfurious1990/85%20accord/IMG_20120814_101953.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/fastnfurious1990/85%20accord/IMG_20120814_102209.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/fastnfurious1990/85%20accord/IMG_20120814_102940.jpg

Well now that you have seen how clean it is we can talk about its problems:

It will start and run, But wont idle. He took it in for a smog test in 2009 and it failed. So he took it to Honda and they told him the insulator was bad and they replaced that. Still had the same issue so they said the carb was warped.
I have never heard of that before. So was wondering what you guys think it may be.

Now with the trans. (i haven't really driven it due to the 2009 Tags ) But from what I am told it will drive and go in to all the gears . But slip while its in gear. He thinks its a torque converter. But i would rather not drop $150 on a new one and find out its the trans because i plan on going 5 speed if the Auto is bad. But I am trying to save some money To get the tags up to date its going to cost about $700 just to get a 2013 Sticker :jaw:

Thanks

2ndGenGuy
08-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Hey man! Welcome back!

That is a clean whip you have there! I'm jelly! I wish I could help you more with emissions and the stock carb, but I really don't know anything about either of them. I would think if the carb was warped, that there would be a massive vacuum leak under it. That's something you could definitely test yourself by starting it up and spraying some carb cleaner around the base of it. It might be tricky if it won't idle. But maybe you could get someone to hold the RPMs really steady with the gas pedal, and see what happens when you spray it around there. I hope that Snooz and a couple of the other guys can chime in and help. They seem to know their stuffs when it comes to emissions!

A18A
08-17-2012, 01:02 PM
yay cah has been unbant

Civic Accord Honda
08-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Hey man! Welcome back!

That is a clean whip you have there! I'm jelly! I wish I could help you more with emissions and the stock carb, but I really don't know anything about either of them. I would think if the carb was warped, that there would be a massive vacuum leak under it. That's something you could definitely test yourself by starting it up and spraying some carb cleaner around the base of it. It might be tricky if it won't idle. But maybe you could get someone to hold the RPMs really steady with the gas pedal, and see what happens when you spray it around there. I hope that Snooz and a couple of the other guys can chime in and help. They seem to know their stuffs when it comes to emissions!
Thanks! yeah its clean. i haven't bought it yet getting it on the 10th I hope! its on hold for me until the 15th. Yeah I was definitely planing on spraying some carb cleaner around everything to check for vac leaks. was also planing on pulling the carb up and putting some of that HighTack sealant under it that I saw roodoo Talking about before

Other then the idle issue the motor runs great no ticks or anything. no blow by no smoke nothing!. I hope to get this carb fixed if not i plan to throw a rebuilt on it since it does need to pass smog. After the smog is done id like to get a Weber 38, and Later Rebuild my old A20A and install that with a set of bike carbs. But that wont be anytime soon! (no point in pulling a 100k mile motor out!)

yay cah has been unbant

Matt!! :)

2oodoor
08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Hey you! Nice find, i hope you get it.
The carb issues and trans could be related to a dgree if the base idle has been monkeyd with. The tv cable could be out of whack, it works like a primitive throttle position sensor if that helps you understand its function. If the base idle were jacked then the cable would be pulling on the tv lever early.

Civic Accord Honda
08-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Hey you! Nice find, i hope you get it.
The carb issues and trans could be related to a dgree if the base idle has been monkeyd with. The tv cable could be out of whack, it works like a primitive throttle position sensor if that helps you understand its function. If the base idle were jacked then the cable would be pulling on the tv lever early.

Hey! you have new name! Lol. Thanks its definitely my top priority to get it!

Yeah I was thinking the tv cable might of been jacked up. But how do you check the base idle? remember I know my way around a EFI honda like the back of my hand. but i haven't worked on a carb since I was 14 and I was always supervised and told what to do and how to do it (and im talking old dodge slant six carbs. honda Kehlins are a world of there own!)

Dr_Snooz
08-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Hey CAH!!! Welcome back! We missed you.

I think you're on the right track looking for vacuum leaks and sealing the base down. If you can get a copy of the smog test results, definitely do it. That will help us diagnose it. If the car does need a carb, the one on there should be rebuildable. I rebuilt the one on my '82 and it ran great. Just get a complete kit (get the floats too) and don't take apart any of the complicated linkages. You just want to tear it down enough to clean it well, but not so much that you can't get it back together right.

It looks like a really nice car. I'm not sure what the soft-focus pics are all about, because I know you can take a good picture.

Anyway welcome back again!

Civic Accord Honda
08-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Hey CAH!!! Welcome back! We missed you.

I think you're on the right track looking for vacuum leaks and sealing the base down. If you can get a copy of the smog test results, definitely do it. That will help us diagnose it. If the car does need a carb, the one on there should be rebuildable. I rebuilt the one on my '82 and it ran great. Just get a complete kit (get the floats too) and don't take apart any of the complicated linkages. You just want to tear it down enough to clean it well, but not so much that you can't get it back together right.

It looks like a really nice car. I'm not sure what the soft-focus pics are all about, because I know you can take a good picture.

Anyway welcome back again!

Thanks for the welcome Snooz!,

I found a rebuilt carb on ebay for $125 ( a rebuild kit with the float is about $75 ) so I mind as well get the rebuilt one I think?.

However before jumping to that checking for leaks and sealing the carb will come first. saving any money i can will be great!

I will see if he still has the results but it failed 3 years ago so there is a good chance there long gone.

And yeah the pics are horrid because i took them using my cellphone which has a scratched lens. and no auto focus or even a manual focus (i can get auto focus if i run android ice cream sandwich on it but i have gingerbread on it since it runs smoother with it)

Civic Accord Honda
08-28-2012, 05:45 PM
2 more weeks :o

2ndGenGuy
08-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Until you can register it?

Civic Accord Honda
08-28-2012, 08:56 PM
until its in my driveway :lol:

1ajs
08-28-2012, 09:03 PM
sick!

Taylor Smith
12-07-2012, 12:17 AM
i just a found a used carb for my 85 that im gonna rebuild... 45 bucks shipped to my door im stokked

Dr_Snooz
12-07-2012, 07:42 PM
What happened to this car, BTW?