PDA

View Full Version : problems

romonharvey
08-17-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm starting to have problems with my 88lxi can anyone hell me plz
First the hole right side of my dash doesnt light up at all ive changed the fuses in my car all of them
Second my passenger light doesn't work on low beam only on high does it work An I've got both brand new lights an changed the fuses still nothing
Third my Trans doesn't shirt right ive had 3 people tell me it's ok but i can't it's not right it gets stuck in first an doesn't want to shift up an it idles really bad when i try an press the gas an ur some times shakes really violently an this all started after i changed out the fluid on accident
An fourth of all i just changed out my alternator less than 6 months ago an it hasn't been driven for about 4 months now cuz i need a starter an now that i have a starter my alternator went out again
SO CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELP ME PLZ I REALLY NEED HELP

POS carb
08-19-2012, 06:35 AM
holy sht
1st
if half the dash doesn't light up the bulbs are probably bad or there is a break on the printed circuit board on the back of the gauge cluster. all the illumination bulbs get power from 1 wire.

2nd
check for power at both low beam fuses with the light switch on. if only one has power then I suspect bad light switch.
if both have power then you have a break in the wire or a bad ground on the headlight (headlamp very dim) (assuming you have the original headlamp plug and it isn't damaged, make sure all 3 pins are still in there, one may have come out)

3rd
check trans fluid level with engine off. If level is correct suspect transmission failure. Filter cannot be replaced without complete disassembly.

POS carb
08-19-2012, 06:39 AM
4th
how do you know this? Have you tested all three components?
Leaving the car sitting 4 months usually kills the battery, not the starter or alternator.

Get the battery slow charged and retested.
Car should crank up with a good battery, even if the alternator does not work.

Dr_Snooz
08-19-2012, 03:17 PM
I'd try a transmission fluid flush before resorting to a rebuild. Just me.

gtoman
08-19-2012, 03:47 PM
As for your alternator. When you change an alternator it's important to get your battery checked and charged if it is low on power. Installing a new alternator in the car with a bad or dead battery can kill a new alternator because now its working too hard trying to charge up the dead battery and run the cars electrics. Plus as my wife just noted over my shoulder..4 months is long enough to have drained your battery. You should hopefully still have a warranty on the alternator so swap it out and make sure the battery is fully charged.

Adam