PDA

View Full Version : radiator fan won't come on even after replacing sensor and fan motor

rob1234
08-18-2012, 12:29 AM
I have a 198 Honda accord LX-i
I have replaced the radiator fan assembly and motor, as well as the cooling fan switch, I also replaced the thermostat. The rad fan WILL NOT COME ON.
I have replaced the fuse for the rad cooling fan still no luck however when I switched the fuse it did come on shortly then turned off again...

does the accord have a second TW/ECT switch near the therm housing, should that be replaced, also there are two switch like items in the thermostat housing one is the TW/ECT the first one and then right next to it is another sensor looking switch, what's that i tried to look on the manual but it only list the TW/ECT switch...

ecogabriel
08-18-2012, 11:22 AM
If you jump the connector in the lower side of the radiator (with the keys in ON position, or engine running) would the fans come on?
If everything else is fine, they should come on.

Yes, there is a second temperature switch in the thermostat housing (the bigger of the two, I believe).
That one only works when engine is stopped and keys are OFF; it turns on the auxiliary (driver's side) fan to cool down the engine.

Also, watch out the coolant switches; the one on the radiator operates at a LOWER temperature (don't remember the exact number but it should be around 90ish celsius) than the one at the thermostat housing (104C, that is above 212 F). I believe the connectors are similar so they may be inadvertently swapped.

lostforawhile
08-18-2012, 11:30 AM
I have a 198 Honda accord LX-i
I have replaced the radiator fan assembly and motor, as well as the cooling fan switch, I also replaced the thermostat. The rad fan WILL NOT COME ON.
I have replaced the fuse for the rad cooling fan still no luck however when I switched the fuse it did come on shortly then turned off again...

does the accord have a second TW/ECT switch near the therm housing, should that be replaced, also there are two switch like items in the thermostat housing one is the TW/ECT the first one and then right next to it is another sensor looking switch, what's that i tried to look on the manual but it only list the TW/ECT switch...

what about the fan control module under the seat? it's not just a timer it also controls the fans and don't forget the fuses there are more then one on an LXI, if you go to the three geez wiki you can download the electrical troubleshooting manual for free, read up on the FI cooling fan controls and it will make more sense

King Peetis
08-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Check out this thread

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75677