PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord LXI, will not start/turn over

vitamin_q
08-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Hi all, I'm a recent Honda owner, I am heavily dependent on this car, and am in desperate need of help. Today I went to start my car and found the battery was completely dead. I tried to get a jump, but after about 40 minutes of charging gave up. I have already taken the battery to shucks/o'reily and had it charged, put it back in and my car will still not turn over. The dashboard lights do not even come on, although the interior light, and "key in ignition" beeper are functioning. The car had been sitting for several days, pointed upward on a slight (20 degree) hill.

I searched this forum and found one relevant posting, in which the "main fuse" is mentioned. As of this moment, I have not located the main fuse, and I do not know how to check if it is functional. I also do not own a ohm/volt-meter if that is required.

This has happened once before, but I thought it was a fluke. The last time I found my battery dead, the dash lights still came on, and I was able to get it started. I had the alternator checked and they told me that "one of the three diodes was burned out", also explaining that this sometimes might cause the battery to drain but "probably not".

Oldblueaccord
08-20-2012, 03:31 AM
The main fuse is under the hood fuse box I think its the 70-80amp one I can't quite remember.

A good battery should have 12.7 volts at rest full charged. The car will start with about 11.2V.

If your battery is good (try your headlights) and the main fuse is good I would look at the battery connections starting at the battery and following them down to the starter and the negative to the trans. There is also a negative on the valve cover driver side that needs to be hooked up.

The battery connections need to be very tight if you have the original cable ends. You should NOT be able to twist them off by hand if there tight.

wp

POS carb
08-20-2012, 06:40 AM
check the large square fuses under the hood.