PDA

View Full Version : So my brakes started screeching.

gtoman
08-21-2012, 11:08 AM
My brake pad wear tabs started squeaking today. I don't mind spending a little more than a regular brake job but a big brake kit is out of the question.(not that anyone makes them for our cars) Is there something prelude related I should be using or looking for? What pad and rotor combo have you guys used to increase stopping power without spending a ton?

86 LX-i Hatch

Thanks in advance for any help.
Adam

Civic Accord Honda
08-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Since your car is an 86. You could get the 88-89 Accord LX-i brakes. They are a bit bigger and need 14" wheels to clear.easy to swap over just go to the junkyard and grab the whole spindle with caliper and it will bolt right up.

2ndGenGuy
08-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Good pads, and a fluid flush will make the biggest difference in stopping power. Get yourself some NAPA blank rotors (which are the best of the cheap rotors), and some Hawk HP Plus pads, and you'll throw yourself through the windshield. The pads are like $250 for a complete set though. But much it's cheaper than a big brake kit, and I guarantee will be the best upgrade you have ever done. I've also tried the Carbotech AX6 brake pads and while they take a little warming up before they bite, they are pretty awesome as well. I think EBCs pads are about half that, and a lot of people say they're pretty good. They were nice on our Integra race car, didn't seem to have any fade problems on the track. But the Hawks just have such good initial bite, even when they are stone cold... That's why I love them on the street. And for fluid, get some nice fluid like some RBF600 or ATE. They have higher boiling points. Really, the biggest thing though is your pads and clean good fluid.

gtoman
08-21-2012, 12:08 PM
I like the idea of using the 88-89 spindle and caliper along with some Hawk pads and some slotted rotors. New fluid is planned. Will the 88-89 spindles work fine with the 86 axles that I have in it now?

Adam

POS carb
08-21-2012, 12:14 PM
I agree, with good pads and tires you don't need a big brake upgrade (unless you're racing or something)

Civic Accord Honda
08-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Yes the spindles are swappable while using your axles just make sure you get them from an LX-i as the 88-89 DX/LX are the same as yours. though dont go with a slotted rotor blanks have been proven to be better

And 2nd gen guy thanks for the review on the pads and fluid im going to have to get a set on the civic. last time i went down a steep curvy mountain road my brakes started fading really bad then my fluid boiled as my pedal became a sponge :S

POS carb
08-21-2012, 12:18 PM
I did the swap, you need to get the calipers, bracket, and spindles/knuckles. Now is also the time for ball joints and wheel bearings
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/758889/1987-honda-accord/page-8

MessyHonda
08-30-2012, 11:28 AM
yeah you will need to upgrade to the LX-i or SE-i 88-89 to be clear because the dx and lx still used the smaller front disks