PDA

View Full Version : Just struts....

WhiteSpecV
10-20-2002, 11:11 AM
Has anyone installed just the tokico blues on their ride yet? I have an '89 LXi Hatchback, the car has 29,000 miles on it, but it needs some work. I'm bringing it back to a driveable condition for my fiancee's first car.

I was going to get a set of struts, but i figured the set of Tokico's are $289, so why not.

Any comment on fit, finish, and ride quality with stock springs?
Thanks again. Any input is appreciated. :bow:

-Joe-

DBMaster
10-20-2002, 11:15 AM
Are you sure it's 29,000 and not 290,000? At 29,000 the car should not be needing struts, unless you are just looking for a change in the ride quality. The factory struts ought to last 150,000 miles or more.

WhiteSpecV
10-20-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by DBMaster
Are you sure it's 29,000 and not 290,000? At 29,000 the car should not be needing struts, unless you are just looking for a change in the ride quality. The factory struts ought to last 150,000 miles or more.

LOL, no I'm sure. It was my grandfather's car, he passed away several weeks ago. The ride quality has been degrading over the past several years. It definitely needs the struts. All it did was sit.

Thanks for the quick reply DB, any input on the aftermarket?

-Joe-

Jims 86LXI HB
10-20-2002, 01:10 PM
You can get the tokico's for $235 at www.shox.com They are surposed to be a tad bit firmer than stock struts so they should tighten up at car with stock springs a bit as well. If you want you could always use the KYB GR-2's they are a oem valved strut and can be stolen for a absurd price at www.tirerack.com A great deal for a non lowered accord, a waste of money on one that is
lowered.

It's going to come down to how you feel about each brand and if you can justify their price. Wheather or not the assumed slight increase in firmness on the Tokico's is worth the difference in price will be up to you. The tokico's are likely 10% or so stiffer than stock. Their's no way they are stiffer than the Bilsteins, which are 15% stiffer than stock.

Hope that helps.

WhiteSpecV
10-20-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
You can get the tokico's for $235 at www.shox.com They are surposed to be a tad bit firmer than stock struts so they should tighten up at car with stock springs a bit as well. If you want you could always use the KYB GR-2's they are a oem valved strut and can be stolen for a absurd price at www.tirerack.com A great deal for a non lowered accord, a waste of money on one that is
lowered.

It's going to come down to how you feel about each brand and if you can justify their price. Wheather or not the assumed slight increase in firmness on the Tokico's is worth the difference in price will be up to you. The tokico's are likely 10% or so stiffer than stock. Their's no way they are stiffer than the Bilsteins, which are 15% stiffer than stock.

Hope that helps.

Jim,

That's exactly the info I wanted. I was waiting for a price quote to come in from Shox.com. Modacar wants $289 for the kit, but for that price, I'll go with Shox.

I've had the KYB GR2's in the past on my 240SX. I think I had them on for a week. Did not like them. I want the Tokico's, and wanted some type of feedback on them. Thanks for the input!
I'm not looking to lower the car, or auto-x it. I just want to bring it back to a driveable condition and make it handle better my the girly.

-Joe-

DBMaster
10-21-2002, 06:44 AM
I like the Monroe Sens-A-Tracs I put on mine. They give you a nicer ride on straight roads and good better control in the corners. They may not be as stiff as some of the other brands on here, bu tI am happy with them. I put them on 50K miles ago and paid right at $200 for a set of four at O-Reilley's. They have lifetime warranty adn are easy to get, no mail order involved.

WhiteSpecV
10-21-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by DBMaster
I like the Monroe Sens-A-Tracs I put on mine. They give you a nicer ride on straight roads and good better control in the corners. They may not be as stiff as some of the other brands on here, bu tI am happy with them. I put them on 50K miles ago and paid right at $200 for a set of four at O-Reilley's. They have lifetime warranty adn are easy to get, no mail order involved.

Well, shox.com wants $235 for 4 tokico blues. That's a no brainer. Handling will be improved slightly, and the pricee is right.
After the struts will be the brakes.

:werd:

-Joe-