PDA

View Full Version : (HELP!)What do i need to replace when the head gasket goes out?

silentjay123
08-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Sorry if there's already threads about this but searched for an hour and couldnt find a how-to or something like that.
I was driving down the road and i heard a knocking then my car stalled. i pulled over and my engine was smoking and there was a huge loss in oil. i got towed home and i have milky water in my radiator so im pretty sure its a blown head gasket.

My car is a 1988 dx carbed. any help is highly appreiciated. i just need to know what to replace. should i buy a head gasket kit or just a head gasket?

RAZR
08-23-2012, 06:00 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75769
Read the manual and that should be all you need

Civic Accord Honda
08-24-2012, 01:24 AM
your need : coolant, oil, filter, head gasket, valve cover gasket,intake manifold gasket, exhuast manifold gasket.

first thing you wanna do is get everything small out of the way, such as the power steering , dizzy, all the stuff like that. then id remove the radiator and flush it out good and it gives you more room to work on the car.
then unbolt the valve cover, exhuast manifold, remove the intake manifold braket from under the car, then unbolt the intake manifold, you should have enough room to push the manifold back out of the way with the filter holder removed and if you just push it out of the way you will save your self 90000 vac lines to re hook up

then remove the upper timing belt cover, any hoses or wires conected to the head on the passenger side then mark the timing belt and mark a grove on the timing cam gear in the same spot the belt mark is so you can get everything lined back up (DO NOT TURN THE BOTOM END OVER OR THE CAM! OR THINGS WILL NOT LINE BACK UP)
once thats marked unbolt the head, scrape off old gasket with gasket remover and a plastic scraper and razor blade (dont grouge head) once everything is CLEAN put new gasket on and reverse of removal .

it sounds harder then it is should take about a day your first time. just take your time with it and dont rush and make sure you have theses tools

10,12,14,17 MM sockets,
Breaker bar (or ratchet with pipe)
12MM closed end wrench (must for removing intake and exhuast manifold bolts that are hard to get to)

and a tourqe wrench (you must tourqe the head bolts down to the proper tourqe or you may blow your head gasket again)

also while your in there take a look at your timing belt. if it looks dry roted or worn replace it as soon as possible

hope that helped ive done about 6 or so head gaskets now on hondas lol

g.frost
08-24-2012, 07:12 PM
While the head is off it's a good time to check for any needed valve work; Valve seals or guides. (was there any blue smoke when cold starting?) Shade tree mechanic check for valves is to turn the head over and fill with gas. If any leak down, time to have the valves ground. ....Uh, no smoking when you do that.

silentjay123
08-24-2012, 09:17 PM
thanks that manual will be great help. do you think i can get this done in 1 day?

Civic Accord Honda
08-25-2012, 07:11 PM
in a day ? yeah should be able. my last one was like 4 hours. start early tho since this is your first time so start early in the morning and plan to work late just incase. remember its better to take your time

silentjay123
08-26-2012, 05:00 PM
could've gotten it done in one day but i had to get the head resurfaced so now just gotta wait. :( might get it done Tuesday or next weekend idk

silentjay123
08-27-2012, 12:26 PM
do i need to put gasket sealant on anything?

Civic Accord Honda
08-27-2012, 05:49 PM
i only use it on the valve cover gasket . but if you bought a new one you wont need to use any .

silentjay123
08-28-2012, 01:07 PM
yeah i bought a head gasket set at napa and it comes with alot of gaskets

88Accord-DX
09-01-2012, 09:38 PM
I'll just add some tips.
PAY ATTENTION to to the oil pressure control valve between the block & head & place it the right way.
Be sure to clean & blow out the bolt holes on the block with compressed air..With the head off, have the valve guides/seats looked at also...
With the head off, at least replace the valve stem seals!!!!
Depending on the timing belt condition & ur skill level, u can pull that head off without taking the front cover off.
Pay attention to that PCV valve hose under the intake & try not to break it. lol
U can also pull the head with the intake & exhaust manifold attatched with an extra hand.

silentjay123
09-03-2012, 08:55 AM
so its all put together but the valve cover gasket wasnt in all the way so had some oil pour out of there and a radiator hose had a hole in it so fixed that but now theres a vacuum leak somewhere