PDA

View Full Version : B20a B20A5 Crank Bearing question??

RCracer
10-20-2002, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know the size of the crank journals (both main and con rod) for the B20a?
My local engine shop who has got the bearings and gaskets for me was told that the bearings are the same size on the B20a5 and the B20a so he got them for the B20a5 as it was easier for him to get them.
I am now ready to start putting the pistons back in as I have just finished the head and dont want to loose the engine due to some problem with the crank bearings.
The con rod bearings on the crank feel too loose can someone tell me the sizes of the crank journals on the B20a and the B20a5 just to let me know if I am right or not.
The rings and bearings he got for me are made by TOP LINE (chicago) and there part numbers are:-
PISTON RINGS RS H-19 STD
CON ROD BEARINGS RBH20 STD
CRANK MAIN BEARINGS MBH16 STD

Thanks

jteuton
10-23-2002, 08:55 AM
I haven't been following you on this so forgive me but I have to ask......why the b20a cause they are in the same boat as we......they are SLOW. You should have gone b18 series or b16. The b20's only have around 100 hp flat and have the same sorry cast pistons and long strokes that our a20's suffer from. Can you expain you choice?

YK86
10-23-2002, 09:19 AM
Because it was cheap for him and he got a whole JDM (or EDM) Accord with B20A to convert everything over to fit his aerodeck. As for the bearing specs, I'll get that later for you since I am on break right now and have to go back to work in a couple minutes.

RCracer
10-23-2002, 10:45 AM
The reason for the B20a is as YK86 said I bought a parts car with a B20a in it complete.
One of the reason for the engine swap is my auto is getting on my nerves with the flares and phantom shifts and the B20a in the UK was only avalable with a 5speed manual tranny.
Always liked the idea of having a DOHC 3rd Gen.

According to the specs I have the JDM B20a produces 160hp.
I am using the head and cams from a scrap JDM B20a that I bought (the guy I bought the scrap B20a from said it came from a prelude. Not sure as the engine was sat in the corner of a shed with a lot of parts missing when I found out about it.) so I should be pretty close to 160hp when I get the right carb or carbs.

RCracer
10-23-2002, 10:49 AM
If you coluld verify the bearing sizes YK86 that will be great.
I am pretty sure they are the same just want to be 100% sure.
Thanks.

YK86
10-23-2002, 11:15 AM
There's a bunch of specs but hopefully, I'm listing the right one.
For the B20A5, the crank main journal diameter for 1, 2, 4, and 5 are 54.976-55.00 while #3 is 54.970-54.994.
The main bearing to journal (#1, #5) 0.018-0.036.
Oil clearnance (#2, #4) is 0.024-0.042 and #3 is 0.030-0.480. Rod bearing to journal oil clearnance is 0.026-0.044.
Connecting rod end play when install on crank is 0.15-0.30

Unforutnately, I don't have anything for the B20A and I can't verify the Top Line part numbers because nobody lists them online that I know of. I can phone the local shop that sells their stuff if you really need it.

jteuton
10-23-2002, 12:17 PM
I don't have the specs on the JDM ones......they are really that strong? I understand the philosophy with going DOHC and I think you will be please with the aftermarket support. Hey do you know if the intake/exhaust manifolds have the same bolt pattern as the A series we have. I'm pretty sure they don't buy I thought I would ask somebody who has it right in front of him. Thanks.

RCracer
10-23-2002, 01:45 PM
Thanks Yasu some of that ties up with some of the figures Ive got. They are metric figures? (I hope). thanks.
The rings are on and the pistons should be in within the next few days.

The B20a has 160bhp according to the FAQ and most online sites that list the engine.
http://209.151.81.66/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86

Since I have JDM cams and head I should have around 160bhp too.
The A20a inlet will fit the B20a. I am going to run the B20a on a carb as I dont want to (or have the time) to convert to EFI (my AERODECK is my daily driver).
I am probably going to run it on a weber 38. The stock carb will have to do for now as this engine build/swap is getting a bit expensive and I am well over budget now :-)
I cant answer you about the A20a exhaust manifold fitting the B20a.

YK86
10-23-2002, 03:40 PM
The JDM B20A is 160HP and 137 ft-lbs of torque. Even if we don't get all of it, that's still a pretty damn good increase. The B20A has just as much (or little) support as the A motor but the base is much better. The A20 intake manifold fits but the exhaust manifold won't. The B20A5 USDM Prelude has the exact same exhaust manifold though.

And aerodeckuk, the specs are metric. If you need more specs such as ring gap and stuff, I can get those too.

smufguy
10-23-2002, 08:26 PM
i dont think the cams on the JDM lude and the B20A are the same cause the ones from the lude is friggin hugeeee.

RCracer
10-24-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by smufguy
i dont think the cams on the JDM lude and the B20A are the same cause the ones from the lude is friggin hugeeee.
The scrap engine I bought is/was a JDM B20a. The guy at the breakers yard was convinced it came out of a 2nd Gen prelude.
The 3rd gen accord engine fits the 2nd gen prelude (vice/versa) so it is possible he was right.

Versanick
03-17-2004, 02:41 PM
My b20a with less than 30k miles on it started making bad bottom end noise...

long story short, we finally got it taken apart, and I took the crank and block to the machine shop to get it cleaned up and decked, bored, and turned etc...

I am also curious about these bearings. I hope that they will fit... When we tore it apart, the bearings LITERALLY looked like they had 300,000 miles on them.

They were completely stripped down to the copper. COMPLETELY shot. I don't want to put in bad bearings. What bearings should I buy for? Because I need some too...

RCracer, how'd those bearings turn out?

peace