PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar Bushings - Poly or rubber ?

Lt99
08-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Well I find myself back in a honda again temporarily (friends 91 4dr accord) while my VW is in the shop with an electrical issue.

Car steers weird at times and when I went to do the oil change the other day I see where the pass side swaybar bushing is pretty much gone where the swaybar attaches to the a-arm.

Its a borrowed car (female friend who owns 4 accords 90-93) and it may become my car so Im looking to replace all 4 bushing in the front swaybar, Should I go with poly or just normal rubber bushings. As a favor to them I will probably try and do some maintenance on the others (check swaybar bushings) on her others cars since they are letting me use this car indefinitely while my car is worked on.

Recommendations.

FYI - this one is a stick, with CAI and I tend to be a spirited driver when I drive a stick. They also drive rather spirited.

Oldblueaccord
08-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Electrical problems in a VW naw naw say it ain't so.

I would go poly on just about any bushing I can think of. its a do it once fix.

wp

Doward
08-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Poly all the way!

Tdurr
08-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Find the poly part # then type "bl" behind it, i was told it wont squeak.

Vanilla Sky
08-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Poly only squeaks with poor lubrication. Rubber flexes enough that even if it is fused to the part, it will move. Poly doesn't have that ability. For a daily driver, I'd always go with rubber, unless you didn't mind greasing them every few months, especially when there's been a lot of precipitation.

lostforawhile
08-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Find the poly part # then type "bl" behind it, i was told it wont squeak.

for energy suspension? the B means it will be black instead of red,same thing, I would rather put up with the squeaks then a mushy rubber bushing, you'll see either an R or a B at the end of the part number this designates the color,some people don't want the red and want them to look original

Civic Accord Honda
08-27-2012, 05:58 PM
yeah the letter at the end is just the color . the squeek all goes by how well they are greesed when installed. if you do it right there last for years

Tdurr
08-28-2012, 07:13 PM
I was told by a worker at the shop i got my aliment at that the black ones have graphite or something in them so it helps prevent squeaking.
He was a pretty knowledgeable guy so yra... Lol been in the car game 25+ years..

Tdurr
08-28-2012, 07:14 PM
straight from the website
" All parts available in black-Graphite
Impregnated Polyurethane to provide
you with bushings that are self-
lubricating and won't squeak"

http://www.performancesuspension.com/polyurethane-bushings.html