PDA

View Full Version : 3 stage protected, steering wheel cruise control button for engine start!!!

3gmodifier
08-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Ok guys, I have had my coupe set up with a push to start set up since the day I built it. I figured it was time to show you how I did it. I am currently in the works of taking the majority of the setup apart so I can get pics to go along with the how to. I should have pics up soon but to give you all an idea of how it works, follow me on this. I am using a 91 prelude si steering wheel to start. I then was able isolate the wire that gets a closed signal when pressed. For me, I chose the excel/resume button. I then disconnected the harness that fed from the steering column to the underside of the dash. From there, I unplugged it to use the lead for my own use. I used a negative trigger relay setup. I soldered a wire to one end, (will get pics soon) and grounded it to chassis. The other end went to the 85 terminal on a standard spdt 5 terminal relay. So this is now the trigger. To make it full proof, the power that enables this relay to even work is tapped from the ignition harness but is DE soldered from the main ignition switch to confuse would be thieves from even seeing the starter input wire. I made a test lead and plugged it into one of the accessory ports on the under dash fuse box for power (only when the ignition is on). From there I used this lead to enable the relay to even be functional. I wanted a second fail safe so I ran a wire from the previous said wire (same wire) to the switched circuit pins of the factory cruise control master button on the left side of the dash. So at this point, the old setup would work as long as I had the ignition on. This setup works if the ignition is on and also if only the master cruise button is selected. After all of this and the rest of the connections are made (will post again with pics and more instructions), you will need to put your key in as normal, but when you crank it like usual, nothing happens. You will have to press the master cruise control button on the dash and then the resume button on the steering wheel for engine start. That along with a 3 relay, isolated circuit kill switch will make your car impossible to steal unless they can get a tow truck to take it with the alarm going off and you have woken up yet to intervene. I will get pics up soon along with a more detailed explanation soon.

3gmodifier
08-28-2012, 02:28 AM
ok this vid is kinda old but it still works to this day, didnt show the master cruise button to compete the connection but this is the day I made it work. and yes that my bikes alarm going off from reving the b20. the bike is cool but the wife was pissed that night lol.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j59/3gmodifier/th_SN852382-1.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j59/3gmodifier/?action=view&current=SN852382-1.mp4)

2ndGenGuy
08-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Man, that is a pretty slick setup! Nobody would ever think to push one of the cruise buttons to start the car, let alone, turning on the cruise system and hitting the resume button. I love it. :)

Rendon LX-i
08-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Thank You. Ive seen it on H-T and i saw yours im like i have to do This. A diagram would be epic. again thanks alot.

3gmodifier
08-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Man, that is a pretty slick setup! Nobody would ever think to push one of the cruise buttons to start the car, let alone, turning on the cruise system and hitting the resume button. I love it. :)

thank you. I had other, more simple setups on my 88 sedan but when i got the coupe, I already had the car stripped in a day or so and while installing my alarm on the firewall, i decided to make this starter set up as crazy as i could.

3gmodifier
08-29-2012, 01:10 AM

Thank You. Ive seen it on H-T and i saw yours im like i have to do This. A diagram would be epic. again thanks alot.

nice. i hardly go on h-t but glad my configuration caught ur eye. I have a few older pics that i dug up and plan to do a full how-to with pics very soon.

A18A
08-29-2012, 02:59 AM
pretty cool, maybe i should put my steering wheel with the no-longer-equipped-cruise-control buttons to some use :thumbup:

stezie
08-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Im impressed! good modification!!

obdriver6
08-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Ooooh please do a "How to-" or at least a wiring diagram! My cruise control has worked in years and this is perfect way to at least use the buttons! :)