PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator Pump Never Moves

1987HondaAccordLXA20
08-28-2012, 01:07 PM
I would bet this has been covered but I am new here and not sure how to find it. I have an off-idle hesitation that sometimes causes the engine to stall leaving me to restart in the middle if an intersection.

I am a chevy/gm guy and inherited this from my grandparents. It is a great car and runs good. Gets about 20MPG with frequent A/C use.

The hesitation feels like an accelerator pump fail commonly found on my 86 chevy truck and 69 Chevelle.

I took the air cleaner off the top of the carb. When the throttle cable is actuated, the accelerator pump lever never pumps the pump, no matter how much thorttle you give it.

Linkage looks good, though it looks like it goes under the carb and I would have to take it off to see.

Is the carb worth rebuilding or should I get an aftermarket. I have read about the Webers. Anyone could recommend the exact part numbers I would need to swap that would be great. Looks like it takes a kit or something.

Thanks,
Walter

1987HondaAccordLXA20
08-28-2012, 01:19 PM
By the way, I attempted to use the search forum. I get a lot of rebuild this and rebuild that, weber carb. questions, and such. I cant find anything that answers my question specifically.

I also just had another related question looking at this thing with my flashlight, is there an accelerator pump adjustment screw, as on my holley on my chevelle. I found a shop manual for this car, and tons of google topics, but what I really want is a simple diagram with an arrow that says TURN THIS TO FIX, or something like that :)

Thanks,
Walter

POS carb
08-31-2012, 02:52 PM
hmm I can't remember what the stock carb looks like anymore, but if you could provide me with some pics it would jog my memory.
I remember that there are adjustments for idle mixture, fast idle speed, and altitude compensation, but I don't remember one for the accel pump

88Accord-DX
09-01-2012, 10:44 PM
From my experience, i wouldn't mess with these stock carbs & rebuild them, they are a pain. Go with a weber & remove the nightmare of vacuum lines. (seriously)

Civic Accord Honda
09-01-2012, 11:36 PM
rebuilding a kehlin is a PIA! doable but not easy from what i have heard. it definitly sounds like something is up with the carb if your only getting 20MPG. i would just spring the money for the weber and you should get a nice incress in gas millege and fix your problems

Vanilla Sky
09-02-2012, 01:05 PM
The easy button to fix these carbs is to swap on a Weber. The 32/36 DGEV (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Accord-1986-1989-Weber-Carburetor-Conversion-kit-/271030961811?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1989%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3AAccord&hash=item3f1ab44693&vxp=mtr) series carb is good if you're more concerned with economy than anything else, but a 38/38 DGEV (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Accord-86-89-High-Performance-Weber-conversion-kit-38-38-European-Weber-/330751231219?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d024f44f3&vxp=mtr) is a better choice for performance. Both of them will get you quite a bit better fuel economy, but the 38/38 likely won't get quite as good fuel economy as the smaller carb.

2oodoor
09-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Good info here (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46572)
You know it has to work off a cam of some sort off the main throttle shaft.