PDA

View Full Version : Finding the oil leak

Da Flash
08-29-2012, 08:55 AM
I recently replaced the altenator on my daughter's '88 Accord. I noticed that there was a leak coming from the passenger's front side of the engine (it's near the cylinder closest to the distributor). I'd read that the distr O-ring could cause this and changed it out. After degreasing the engine and running it around town for a few hours, the leak is still there:burn:!!! My first thought was that the oil is coming from the valve cover because the oil collects around the "timing light hole" and runs down to the front motor mount, the oil pan and eventually the exhaust but, there is little to no oil on the head itself!!

1. Can you guys think of anything else that would cause this leak other than the VC gasket??

2. Can the lack of a "timing hole" plug let oil leak out??

Thank you for your time

88lxi-shortram
08-29-2012, 12:08 PM
replace VC gasket as that is one of the main reasons for leaks. if its still leaking try checking your egr to see if its loose. even though u shouldnt have oil coming from the egr its always a possibilty

Buzo
08-29-2012, 01:52 PM
I'll double check the dist o'ring too. How to know the guy behind the desk gave you the right size?

What I did with mine was that I put some teflon tape around the o'ring, like the one used in the natural gas piping. Re-assembled the dizzy and that stopped the leak.

Then you can look for the right o'ring size with more confidence.

2ndGenPreludeSi
08-29-2012, 02:44 PM
The cover gasket is cheap enough to replace anyways. I've always bought the cheap felpro gaskets and realized that they sell one that is rounded at the top, and one that is completely square... The square one seals better IMO.

2ndGenPreludeSi
08-29-2012, 02:47 PM
and no, the only reason anything should be coming out of the timing hole is if the rear main is leaking... and the flywheel is flingin' it out haha. I doubt it though

Da Flash
08-30-2012, 08:33 AM
I'll double check the dist o'ring too. How to know the guy behind the desk gave you the right size?

What I did with mine was that I put some teflon tape around the o'ring, like the one used in the natural gas piping. Re-assembled the dizzy and that stopped the leak.

Then you can look for the right o'ring size with more confidence.

First off, thanks for the replies! I was wondering about the O-ring, how do I know if it's the correct one (I have the distributor that DOESN'T have a flat side)? I like the teflon tape idea!!! As far as the VC gasket, I bought a new one from Honda, just like the O-ring but with there being 2 different distributor, the counter guy could've giving me the wrong one.

POS carb
08-31-2012, 02:47 PM
there is also a seal inside the distributor that can fail, if you pull the cap off and see oil INSIDE the dizzy then you'll know for sure.

part# BH3888-E0
it requires distributor disassembly

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/images/0015/48/92/15698429_large.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/758889/1987-honda-accord/page-11

lostforawhile
08-31-2012, 02:52 PM
is there a part number for the carb dizzy one of those? been trying to find one

ecogabriel
09-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Lost, do you mean the distributor shaft seal? I have a spare I bought when I replaced the bearing in mine.
I should have it somewhere (I have to search for it) , but I found out it is the same that fits 5G Civic distributors. In the EFI distributor, you only take apart the lower half of the dizzy
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76806&highlight=distributor+teardown

lostforawhile
09-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Lost, do you mean the distributor shaft seal? I have a spare I bought when I replaced the bearing in mine.
I should have it somewhere (I have to search for it) , but I found out it is the same that fits 5G Civic distributors. In the EFI distributor, you only take apart the lower half of the dizzy
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76806&highlight=distributor+teardown

yea the shaft seal in the carb dizzy, I can order the bearing from bearings and drives locally, I still need to get a bearing part number, I have several decent dizzys so I was going to go ahead and rebuild one really good one out of the parts

Da Flash
09-03-2012, 07:34 AM
For what it's worth, I doubt that it's the seal inside the distributor because there is no oil or residue inside the cap. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the carb'd vs FI distributor O-rings such as part numbers or dimensions??

I have replaced that O-ring 2 times and have no way of knowing that I'm using the right part. I've bought O-rings from the dealer and local parts store and no one has ever asked me "carb'd or FI" which is kinda scary!!!!

ecogabriel
09-06-2012, 01:33 PM
In the EFI distributor there is no way for oil to go all the way to the cap since it is split in two halves, and the sealed bearing sits between the two (mounted on the top)
I do not know about carbed distributors though.

ecogabriel
09-06-2012, 01:35 PM
yea the shaft seal in the carb dizzy, I can order the bearing from bearings and drives locally, I still need to get a bearing part number, I have several decent dizzys so I was going to go ahead and rebuild one really good one out of the parts

If it is the same as in the EFI car, just get the number from my thread. You may choose the OEM bearing or a replacement that is shielded instead of sealed.