PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT , TURBO ( bobafett )

Pages : 1 [2]

MessyHonda
06-30-2008, 07:20 AM
yeah i remember openloops car ran on the p75...car ran great when i got to ride in it. he was doing 168whp with that map and other stuff he had going on.

cygnus x-1
06-30-2008, 08:00 AM
For the most part I used the P75 map like it is. I did interpolate the values to fit my RPM and kPa ranges but the end result is the same.

I know what you mean about the quick jump and I thought the same thing. But I've seen the same thing with other peoples maps over on the MS forum, so I guess it's not unusual. The 40 deg. advance is scary too at first, but it's really no problem at all because the engine load is low.

The low values in the high MAP low RPM area are for easier starting and to prevent pinging if you floor it at low RPMs. Having negative values seems a little extreme to me but they won't cause any problems.

Since you'll have a turbo you'll need more upper ranges too. 700 and 1200 ought to work just fine.

I'm surprised your idle MAP is that high with a stock-ish cam. That's what I get on a cold start but once warmed up it's about 30kPa at 1000RPM idle. The low kPa rows are indeed for deceleration. Mine actually pulls down to about 17kPa with no throttle. Cruise MAP is generally about 30-50 kPa.

Not sure about your ECU but for mine, what you see is what you get. The Ford EDIS ignition I have will default to 10 deg. advanced if it doesn't get a signal from the ECU, so I guess you could call that base timing. The ECU knows this and tells the ignition what to do accordingly. So when you put 27 in the table you get 27. Otherwise it would be really confusing. I would be amazed if yours isn't the same way.

C|

cygnus x-1
06-30-2008, 08:05 AM
yeah i remember openloops car ran on the p75...car ran great when i got to ride in it. he was doing 168whp with that map and other stuff he had going on.

Messy, you're the man! (I assume)

I was wondering what map they used on that car. Did they alter the fuel or timing maps at all or just use the stock maps? Guess I should go dig up that old thread.

C|

bobafett
06-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Yeah I think you are right. Maybe the initial advance is used as the default value for the idle areas on the map... But I agree I am pretty sure that 'what you see is what you get' with this.

My car does have a stock cam but has lots of headwork and I think that definitely affects the flow in there and causes a weak vacuum on idle.

I may need to tweak the kPa ranges in my map because I'm sure it will go down a lot lower than 45 kPa on decel.

Also I should make sure that my TPS/MAP blend is not confusing the reading that my display gives for kPa. I don't think it reads anything other than kPa, but I can verify that easily enough by turning off the map blend to see how my idle works.

I guess when I get home I will start converting to this ignition map, and see what happens. :)

Accordtheory
06-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Cool to see some shit happening with your ride..Do have plans to run it on a dyno to clean up the tune in the near future?
Also, does your ecu setup, which I know virtually nothing about, have a target lambda table that it can "autotune" itself to with a wideband?

bobafett
06-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah once I get a comfortable street tune that can be driven around and it's mostly safe, and has close enough AFR on WOT, I will take to a dyno to get it tuned. The only issue I have is, if I get the tune pretty good now while its NA, I don't want to pay again when I am boosted.

So if I can do a reasonable job now I will put off the tuning until I have the turbo hardware back on, and I will spend the money where it counts - making actual power lol.

As for target AFR - yes I can do that. I have a table with MPA vs RPM, and I can specify any target AFR value I want. From there I can dictate how much % of pulsewidth it is allowed to change (50% max I believe), and how often it samples and how agressively it adjusts the AFR to make updates. along with a few other settings that I cannot recall at the moment.

I have tried to get it to work, but so far I am not seeing any correction factor applied. I may need to verify all the conditions to make sure the criteria I have in there are not preventing it from doing its thing. :)

Also you can make max and minimum rpms, so it only tries to do the auto tuning above or below certain rpms. I think I can also specify for this only to try for target AFR when the car is above a certain water temp, to keep it from doing weird shit while warming up.

cygnus x-1
06-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Honestly I wouldn't bother having it tuned until you get the turbo going. You can get a pretty good tune just by driving around and adjusting based on the logs.

And I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the new timing map. I was looking at the other LS map and it looks to be just the P75 map bumped up 2 degrees across the board. Think I'm going to try that next.

C|

LiquidIC
07-01-2008, 12:13 AM
so guess who got a speeding ticket in the RL for 55 in a 35... AND then the cop telling me that i had a nice car?:uh:

i need a ride in your car...

LiquidIC
07-14-2008, 12:03 AM
how is the tuning coming?

bobafett
07-14-2008, 08:13 AM
My ramps that I built to get out of the garage are failing so I don't want to push my luck and totally destroy them. I have priced out the metal that I will need to build new ones at about $110 and Darren is willing to weld them up for me.

So since the car is stuck in the garage for now, there are limited updates. I have the P75 ECU timing values interpolated and input into my ignition timing map. After that I needed to tweak a few other settings to get it to run right, but it seems happy now with free revving and idle conditions.

I have tires to put on it, and still need to rewire a bunch of things. I have been super busy working on WRX getting ready to sell it so I haven't had time to spend with the trusty accord.

cygnus x-1
07-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Been running the LS Integra timing map that Bobafett posted for the last couple days. I almost can't believe how much it changed the character of the engine compared to what I had before (the one I posted). It's SO smooth now and the throttle response is amazing! It even sounds better. At 5000 RPM it sings!

And I also was able to go back and lean out the fuel map in a few places, so mileage should even improve (if I can keep my foot off the go pedal!) :thumbup:

C|

bobafett
07-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Hey thanks for the update, that is really good to hear. I haven't had a chance to drive my car lately, but I am looking forward to seeing how the map works on my car. I am pretty much on my own for fuel maps (I don't have a clue how to translate them to the WinTEC4 software) but it should be doable to figure that all out.

cygnus x-1
07-21-2008, 09:59 PM
The fuel map shouldn't be too bad with a wide band O2. At least with that you can drive around and take data logs. Then go back and adjust. From what I saw in the WinTEC manual it's probably not worth the trouble to try and rework a Honda fuel map to fit. It looks like the WinTEC uses a little different scheme for calculating fueling than what I understand of the Honda's (which is admittedly not much).

There is something else about Honda timing maps I was reading that's interesting. This guy on Preludepower was saying that the numbers in Hondas timing tables are not exactly what the final timing ends up at. There are supposedly some extra compensations added. Take a look at this thread and see what you think:

http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282276&highlight=timing+advance

C|

bobafett
07-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah that is interesting.

I know in my software there are several things that contribute to the ACTUAL timing.

Coolant temp retards timing as it gets too hot, and adds timing when it is very cold. Same for intake air temp.

I can also program it to retard timing based on knock sensor input.

I had my AIT sensor disabled which caused me to run 4 degrees retarded the whole time, because it fails to a high temperature 'failsafe'.

I assume the honda ecu uses CLT and IAT to compensate with timing, but i don't know if there is some secret hidden timing values like they are indicating in that thread.

cygnus x-1
07-22-2008, 07:07 AM
The air and coolant temp comps make sense but those won't be large changes. That extra 15 degrees they talk about just seems crazy. 40-45 degrees of total advance sounds way too high. Although I thought the same thing about 30 before.

C|

bobafett
07-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Thats true. I wonder if there is a way to monitor actual timing advance on a stock p75 car and see whats up. I just wonder how you would actually datalog the 'real' timing value. 45 degrees does sound like an aweful lot of timing! But even the p75 uses 41.75 degrees off throttle. Maybe there are tps/map based timing adjustments for tip in and tip out. My ecu has that ability so when stabbing the throttle it does stuff differently than when you slowly roll on. It is possible that that could account for some of this mystery timing.

cygnus x-1
07-22-2008, 09:10 PM
I could probably do it if I had access to a running car. All it would take is a fixed reference signal from the crank and a signal from the positive side of the coil. Put both on an o-scope and watch how the coil signal phasing changes in relation to the fixed signal. Then you could calculate the change in degrees.

That would be interesting if there was a timing compensation based on rate of change for throttle position or MAP. On mine the timing advance is based solely on MAP and RPM, with no compensation for how fast the MAP or RPM are changing. Throttle position is not used at all. Fueling however does change based on how fast MAP is changing. If there is a sudden large change in MAP, extra fuel is dumped in just like the accelerator pump on a carb.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like they were talking about any kind of dynamic compensation like that. I think I'll dive in on that thread or maybe PM one of the guys and see if they can explain some more.

C|

bobafett
07-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Ahh you know what my tip in and tip out may have only been fuel related. I haven't been digging around in the software lately so it is a little fuzzy. It doesn't really make all that much sense to adjust timing based on that but you never know I guess.

86ccord
07-24-2008, 10:43 AM
yo son! your car is hot! looks good.. love your gages!

LiquidIC
08-21-2008, 12:04 AM
updates Christopher... or are you tooooooo busy ripping on the Hornet?

bobafett
08-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Yeah been ripping on the hornet and on vacaction so I haven't been working on it too much. I need to get it to a daily drivable state so I can take it to work when it rains.

Otherwise I will be soaked when I get to work like I am today. :(

Uwe at electromotive has a good idea of a tuner for me to take it to that should be local - I think he is going to get ahold of them and talk to them about my setup, and then he is going to give me their info. Hopefully they are willing to hook it up for a fair price and not a 'race car' price lmao...

Nick I am going to need you to come up one of these days so we can finish up the wiring and clean it all up so I am not embarrassed haha... Are you coming up on the 30th for the bbq? if so you should swing by on Friday (justin86 may also be there maybe friday I know he is coming up on the 30th) and we can get some more wiring done :D

So yeah not too many updates, but there is still a bunch of wiring to do, and I need to get my new tires on those wheels before I want to drive around too much especially in the rainy shit that we seem to be getting again.

LiquidIC
08-22-2008, 12:38 AM
I might be able to come up on friday night after work... but i dont know if ill be able to stay for the BBQ on Sat. ill have to see what my homework situation looks like. I start classes this tuesday, and i have a boat load.

ill try

LiquidIC
11-09-2008, 12:08 PM
no new updates???!!!!... sheit dude... i can buy a car, turbo it, and a Russian can steal it, faster then you can put a turbo on a car??

ill probably have some time this december when school is out to come up and get some more work done on the Accord

bobafett
11-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Updates are that we have the radiator overflow container finished, we have the aerocatch hood pins installed, and hopefully this next weekend Zeph and I will get his racing bucket installed, and get the rest of the wiring finished and then start the wiring cleanup phase. Also I am going to get this bitch back on the insurance so we can try to get it on the streets.

Now that I have a hood that will latch and I have prepared most of the wires that need to go to the fender for turn signals and headlights I am pretty close to being able to put my fenders back on. Zeph is gonna finish cutting up the bumper to clear the intercooler, and it will look like a normal car again.

Hopefully the coming weeks will bring good progress. :D Maybe we can dial in the wire prettying phase over December. Let me know when you wanna cruise up...

Rendon LX-i
11-09-2008, 07:20 PM
damn dude...i just got mine started today sounds like i have a big ass came lol...Its wicked as hell thou...having troubles with W/G...but good to hear you getting yours done

EricW
11-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Got any pics of how you installed the hood pins? I've been thinking about getting some of those aerocatch pins also, but wasn't sure how they would fit on the hood since the pins are flat and the hood has several different curves.

bobafett
11-10-2008, 07:14 PM
http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/hoodpins/

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/accordsaga/038.jpg

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/hoodpins/IMG_0928.jpg

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/hoodpins/IMG_0929.jpg

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/hoodpins/IMG_0930.jpg

thats the only pictures i have really. They fit pretty well. they of course had to be installed backwards so that i didn't have to build fancy tabs to hold the posts. other than that they work great.

EricW
11-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Looks good nice job, thats the same spot I was thinking about installing them. If you get a chance snap a pic of the under side of the hood.

bobafett
11-10-2008, 07:26 PM
hehe okay... its just cut away with a dremel and maybe a 4" makita grinder. its not pretty yet, but i can take some pics to show what we did. :D

EricW
11-10-2008, 07:34 PM
It doesn't have to be pretty it just has to work.:D

bobafett
11-10-2008, 07:35 PM
ya thats a good motto, i share the sentiments lol it works just fine...

A18A
11-10-2008, 07:36 PM
nice wheels!!!

Civic Accord Honda
11-10-2008, 10:47 PM
holly shit they look awesome!! hella cool how much were they?

and them tires are begging to be burnt out

bobafett
11-10-2008, 10:48 PM
haha those are brand new 0 mile Hankook RS-2's, they won't be burn off if i can help it. :)

hoodpins were about 90 bucks i think.

guaynabo89
11-11-2008, 03:56 AM
Very nice work Boba!

You are inspiring me to see if I can get any work done on mine.

What kind of timeline are you setting for yourself right now?

And whats wrong with looking good AND working right! :tongue:

LiquidIC
11-12-2008, 02:05 AM
i still say that the intercooler you have is only big enough to cool a fart blowing threw it... not the T3/T4:dunno:

im just saying

bobafett
11-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Yeah I agree, I may be pushing my luck once I get up to my power level goals. :( Oh well, bigger intercooler can be arranged if I hit that roadblock.

guaynabo89
11-12-2008, 12:13 PM
How much hp does that ic support?

I think I might have the same problem as you. My ic is supposedly only able to folw enough for up to 350 crank hp.

bobafett
11-12-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=207&osCsid=31b56c6706a6dea291ec27b7d7709fb4 good for 500 cfm

my turbo is good for 678 cfm... http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/gat357trw63a.html

hahah but is the head prepared to flow 500 cfm?? who knows...

dunno what kind of hacks it will take to fit something like this: http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=201&osCsid=31b56c6706a6dea291ec27b7d7709fb4

EricW
11-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Well my intercooler is the same size as both of yours so i guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

LiquidIC
02-02-2009, 09:36 PM
tires shredding yet?

LiquidIC
02-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Fo the shortiez

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp238/Naburke/Accord%20panel/racepanel.jpg

2ndGenGuy
02-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Oh man that is the fucking shiznitty! It's totally badass, dare I say pure functional bling. Holy shit that's rad!!

how much HP would i gain from the "safe" level of boost, and what would that safe level be? i have <5psi in my head right now, but i need to know if this is realistic. i want to get away with little to no heavy duty engine management stuff, at least right now, even if it means only 1-2psi...

Hahah! Looks like that's been thrown out the window.

86AccordLxi
02-17-2009, 11:38 AM
^that was many thousands of dollars ago.

loool

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2009, 01:42 PM
nice......lots of cash money there

LiquidIC
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
^that was many thousands of dollars ago.

loool

Alex, i was talking to Chris yesterday when we were putting everything back together and I asked him about driving it and he said, "of course, everybody who has put a lot of hours into this can drive it, you, Zeph, Alex"

i laughed and said ALEX???!?! he didnt do shit

chris then replied yeah but still... he mostly pissed me off by distracting me when i would work on it.

so yes alex even having relativity no part in the build you still get to drive it, thus showing that you are in higher favor as a friend then anyone else.

enjoy

bobafett
02-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Alex did a lot of heavy looking on in the beginning phases and helped out with motor swap... IIRC... it was all sooooo long ago. :) You all put in your time!

Yeah its funny how plans change, you can tell how my sickness evolved throughout the thread. Definitely not going to be a low budget daily driver build. Although I sometimes wish it was hehe.

The car is pretty well buttoned up again and just needs me to throw on the 1 bar map and restart the tuning process. We will see how it goes...

86AccordLxi
02-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey nick, shove it.

Zeph had to redo all the work you did anyway.

I sit and talk/listen to Chris all day long at work lol.

And besides, I already have a quick car to drive --- where's yours?

Joay
02-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Fo the shortiez

Business class. :omg:

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Wow....Alex told you lol...Damn chris im ready to see how she flys....I want a ride in it to if its a okay with you. You can even drive my boosted 3geez. your a good friend. Put some pics up bro and some vids man.

Rendon

LiquidIC
02-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Hey nick, shove it.

Zeph had to redo all the work you did anyway.

I sit and talk/listen to Chris all day long at work lol.

And besides, I already have a quick car to drive --- where's yours?

I know we joke with each other so nothing is really ever taken personally.
please alex, tell me what Zeph has redone that I did?

Im done with fast cars... theyre too expensive and i decided that if im going to dump money into a car i may want to have the potential to get my money out of it.

I build OLD cars now, for many reasons, one being that the style of old cars is unique and i do have one thing on you.... NONE of my cars look like ford probes? do yours?

86AccordLxi
02-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Wait, when did you have fast cars? Your 15sec corrado??

:tongue:

I hear you're driving a police car now, which is totally badass lol. Can't wait to see that beast.

Justin86
02-18-2009, 10:30 AM
It's slowly coming together! he he he he

LiquidIC
02-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Wait, when did you have fast cars? Your 15sec corrado??

:tongue:

why do you think i dont do that anymore... hahaha toooo expensive to build

I hear you're driving a police car now, which is totally badass lol. Can't wait to see that beast.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/40/l_6290385fc0df4e04b1d83741d5606903.jpg

now im just pooping on chris' thread

back on topic... what is this like 13 years in the making?
when Zeph gets the manifold made i say we all rally up to longview, turbo, injector, tune... and rip shit up

bobafett
03-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Okay guys another milestone today!

Last night I swapped out the 3-bar map sensor with a sensible 1-bar map. Started a new tune with this map, and the car fired right up and idled for me. Zeph as co driver helped tune it up and smooth things out.

We got my fuel level gauge working, and my speedometer calibrated. It is confirmed that my goofy little 4g/3g hybrid vss works like a dream.

The car is now 100% drivable with a very solid and comfortable street tune. I can put the throttle position anywhere I want, and the car behaves itself.

It is not fast and the tune is nowhere near where it needs to be, but for a low compression NA accord with a stock cam and a street tune, it is doing great.

Next up is probably a real camshaft (282 for the break in?) and then a real tune so I can put miles on it.

Working on preparing what I need to to get the rest of the turbo stuff together so I can take it to the next level. But at this point it is totally drivable to go to a meet in Portland, so anybody who wants to show up can finally see the car!!!

We probably put 25 miles on the car which is more action than it has seen in 4 years other than driving up to my new house which was an adventure to say the least.

WOOOOOOOOT! Maybe if I am motivated I will take a slow loud video of the car but it will be with my camera and handheld by zeph so it will probably be a terrible video. But it will at least show that it runs and drives.

Oh and it sounds angry bouncing off the limiter (set to 6000rpm for safety's sake).

MessyHonda
03-30-2009, 09:24 PM
nice...i need to retune

cygnus x-1
03-30-2009, 09:31 PM
It is confirmed that my goofy little 4g/3g hybrid vss works like a dream.

Hooray! What's the 4g/3g VSS thing about?

C|

bobafett
03-30-2009, 10:36 PM
I don't have a dash or stock speedo gauge, but I do have a programmable Autometer speedometer gauge. It didn't look like the mechanical speedo had a chance of being properly calibrated, so I just went with the programmable unit.

Anyway I needed an electronic VSS signal for my speedo gauge, for some fancy features of my ECU (valet speed limiter), and eventually as an input to my boost controller which will but used to give me gear based boost control (for traction control).

What I did was combine the bottom part of a 3g VSS, with the top portion and sensor of a 4g VSS. I gutted the internal planetary gears and ground down the 4g square drive nub to fit in the slotted 3g speedo gear shaft. Then since I wasn't keeping PS, and I didn't want tranny fluid or PS fluid all over the ground, I tapped and plugged the 'holes' from the 4g top that were overlapping past the edge of the 3g base.

It sounds sort of tricky but its very straightforward. Eventually I may take this thing apart and take pictures, but I am happy to help explain anything if you are curious.

The sensor has 3 wires. +12V, GND, and a squarewave signal output (5V?). Hooked it up and have tested the speedo now, which works great, I haven't tested the Valet limiter yet, but I know the sensor works, so it's just a matter of the wiring, which I don't want to mess with yet.

Chris

Rendon LX-i
03-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Oh i seen that chris....cygnus...he used the bottom of 3gen bottom half and the 4th gen upper half so he can have it as a plug type not a cable lol...i want to do that also...something like that. maybe im wrong. CHRIS WOOT WOOT cant wait to see this man...fuck ya im hyped as hell..good job...now time for BOOOST LOL

Rendon LX-i
03-30-2009, 10:38 PM
nevermind lol write when i wrote the post you posted lol...

guaynabo89
03-31-2009, 12:59 AM
where is the video! lol

Glad to hear you got it going. Whats left for the turbo setup? Hurry up and put a couple of thousand miles on it so you can turbo it. :D

bobafett
03-31-2009, 07:18 AM
There is still a lot left, seems like a REAL LOT when I list it out...

NA tune / break in miles
real fuel injectors (720cc??)
fancy turbo manifold built
downpipe w/flexpipe
full exhaust from downpipe back
weld aluminum bov flange to charge piping
figure out wg dump tube routing (plumb back into dp?)
get my oil restrictor pill figured out (my car has HIGH oil pressure)
mess up my oil pan even worse with a oil return line bung

those are the big items, but im sure there are 100 more. I do know that my charge piping and FMIC situation are figured out, so that won't be a worry.

but really other than the motor wanting to be boosted, there isn't a lot that I 'have' done towards actually getting this thing to be boosted.

I'm just happy that the car is in a very drivable state. I mean its not perfect, but I would have no reservations driving it 100 miles at this point.

Oh and the headlights work, and my headlight eyelids are still installed, so it looks like an actual car again from the outside anyway.

Zeph designed a very nice and simple cover to go over the top of my gauges that I should be getting back from the sheet metal shop today. I have so much glare with the current setup, I can't wait to get something covering those gauges. I will probably just paint it satin or semi flat black and call it a day.

87roach
03-31-2009, 07:54 AM
Ah hell yea! This is great to hear boba, nice that all your guys work is paying off!! Come on with the pics and vid! :D

2ndGenGuy
03-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Dude pimp! That is gonna be kick ass, can't wait to see it at the meet!! Congrats on getting it running and driving it around! Hope your tabs are current! ;)

guaynabo89
03-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Zeph designed a very nice and simple cover to go over the top of my gauges that I should be getting back from the sheet metal shop today. I have so much glare with the current setup, I can't wait to get something covering those gauges. I will probably just paint it satin or semi flat black and call it a day.

pics?

'A20A3'
03-31-2009, 11:16 AM
in for pics. :flash:

AccordB20A
03-31-2009, 12:38 PM
yay shes a runner

bobafett
03-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Took the car to get it weighed this morning. :) Slow trip home though....

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/tow/TowFront.jpg

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/tow/TowRear.jpg

On the plus side I ran into a buddy I used to work with and hadn't seen for years.
On the other plus side, my car weighs 2155 lbs with a full tank of gas.

On the downside, one of my brilliant ideas to cap a coolant line seems to not be the best way of doing things. After consideration, I think that a loop should be a more successful strategy than a cap. Especially on a high pressure water line. ;-)

2155 lbs!!!!

bobafett
03-31-2009, 12:46 PM
A couple lame videos. I apologize in advance, the sound quality is TERRIBLE, and please turn your volume down before watching. They are VERY VERY loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bILDA-gwoao - COLD START
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxINaeJ8WGw - BORING STREET DRIVING

2ndGenGuy
03-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Your car is going to fly with 500lbs in weight reduction!!! Nice work!!

Oh god I love the gauges with the big ass switches it all lights up and fires up in stages like a rocketship!

Rendon LX-i
03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
DAMN CHRIS good to see it on the road. cant wait to be in in for a drive. in a couple months also lol

'A20A3'
03-31-2009, 06:18 PM
awesome hatch!! glad to see it finally running. :flash:

guaynabo89
03-31-2009, 06:32 PM
I like the switches also. The first vid is llike a cockpit priming engines and such. I like the turning signal in the second vid. :D

bobafett
03-31-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm telling you, its just like a stock car, has all the amenities... dare I say its almost a luxury car...

Has wipers (have to time it just right so they stay down...)
Has headlights (but you have to hand crank the housings up and down)
Has a steering wheel (but its manual steering)
Has turn signals and hazard lights (no catch)
Has reverse lights (no catch)

Its just like a stock accord. ;-) Only easier to start and steal!

'A20A3'
03-31-2009, 06:36 PM
i can't wait to see what kinda numbers this thing pulls!

89T
03-31-2009, 06:53 PM
There is still a lot left, seems like a REAL LOT when I list it out...

figure out wg dump tube routing (plumb back into dp?)

hell's no.
wastegate flutter for the MFW!
trust me you'll love it.

bobafett
03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Also I am lazy and the car is already going to be so fucking loud, there is probably a very very limited return on investment with that effort.

And once we get a dump tube ran toward the ground, I will just want to go drive it anyway. ;-) Been around cars with just a dump, its terrifying and wonderful depending on where you are in relation to the noise!!!!

89T
03-31-2009, 07:11 PM
my car is relatively quiet till the wastegate opens up.
you have to remember once the turbo is in it will act like a muffler as well.

Rendon LX-i
03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
^^^ thats true...my car is not loud like it used to be...cops can go to hell now lol. You can always run your dump to your downpipe. be quiet...i wanted the open dump but idk if it would be annoying since my little turbo spools so fast. idk im thinking obout it

89T
03-31-2009, 07:33 PM
i love the sound of an open dump.

Rendon LX-i
03-31-2009, 08:57 PM
me to...they sell o2 open dumps for my t25 would look sick to lol

guaynabo89
04-01-2009, 01:14 AM
hell's no.
wastegate flutter for the MFW!
trust me you'll love it.

well thats 2 ;)

bobafett
04-01-2009, 06:35 AM
Believe me guys you won't have to try 'that' hard to convince me :)

88LXi68
04-01-2009, 07:02 AM
good to see another long time member stick with it. Looks good and can't wait to see final results!

Hash_man_Se_i
04-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Glad to hear things are going well with the project. Should be great when you get it on the road.

Oh and open wastegate dump ftw! Lol

'A20A3'
04-01-2009, 07:54 AM
good to see another long time member stick with it.

:werd:

cygnus x-1
04-01-2009, 09:10 PM
What I did was combine the bottom part of a 3g VSS, with the top portion and sensor of a 4g VSS. I gutted the internal planetary gears and ground down the 4g square drive nub to fit in the slotted 3g speedo gear shaft. Then since I wasn't keeping PS, and I didn't want tranny fluid or PS fluid all over the ground, I tapped and plugged the 'holes' from the 4g top that were overlapping past the edge of the 3g base.

It sounds sort of tricky but its very straightforward. Eventually I may take this thing apart and take pictures, but I am happy to help explain anything if you are curious.

The sensor has 3 wires. +12V, GND, and a squarewave signal output (5V?). Hooked it up and have tested the speedo now, which works great, I haven't tested the Valet limiter yet, but I know the sensor works, so it's just a matter of the wiring, which I don't want to mess with yet.

Chris

Oh, that's cool! Do you think it would be possible to rig up the 4g sensor and still be able to use the cable for the stock speedo? The one thing I really wish I had is a VSS. It would make HP, torque, and MPG calculation possible on the fly if I could get my Megasquirt to log speed. I tried tapping a signal off the stock speedo (and it does work) but the signal doesn't seem very stable I think partly because of the cable.

Where is the 4g sensor? Is it on the tranny somewhere? Next time I'm at the junkyard I'm going to look for one.

C|

bobafett
04-01-2009, 10:34 PM
The 4g VSS is a little sensor that is in the same spot as where we plug the speedo cable into the tranny. Just pull the whole assembly from a 4g tranny and you will have all the junk you need to get it to work.

I cannot think of any way to drive both the 4g VSS sensor and the stock cable, but I wonder if just converting to the 4g sensor and then running a WIRE up to the gauge cluster would work. The question is whether the stock sensor in the gauge panel has the same pulses/revolution as the 4g sensor. I do know that there are different teeth on the gears that go into the tranny, but who knows, maybe all hondas are calibrated to X pulses/mile?

It would be very very cool to somehow retain stock gauge functionality while gaining a VSS signal. How do the obd1 guys do it? Do they just keep the cable intact? I know I have read about VSS in reguard to B swaps and obd1 swaps, but never really needed to retain it.

guaynabo89
04-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Theres a wire you tap into on the gauge cluster that sends out the 2 ground 2 nothing pulses per wheel revolution the obd1 ecu needs to see. I posted a how to somewhere. Its in one of the obd1 threads.

You have to use a different wire than what the oem accord ecu uses. I forget how it goes exactly by I had to add a ground and diode also the the ecu vss signal. Its not hard at all. Just a couple of wire splices and a diode.

I reeber having to tap into the wires on the cluster while the car was jacked up and I spun the wheels by hand and comparing to the signals from my 4th gen. This was back in 02-03 I think.

I like your mod cause it gets rid of the cable. Means you can use whatever gauge you want. They also sell kits you attach to your axles with magnets to send a speedo signal to aftermarket gauges.

cygnus x-1
04-02-2009, 07:59 PM
If there is a way to use the 4g VSS to run the stock gauges I will find it. I hate that damn speedo cable!

Boba, do you know pulse rate is on the 4g sensor?

C|

bobafett
04-02-2009, 10:27 PM
not off the top of my head, but when i tried to calibrate my gauge it was showing me the pulse count. so if i try to recalibrate it i can try to give you a ballpark number. but that will be like 15,000 pulses for 2 miles - it wouldn't really be useful.

I don't have an oscilloscope or I could just spin it and figure out how many pulses per revolution of the sensor. Do we know the pulse rate of the 3g vss?

guaynabo89
04-03-2009, 01:41 AM
UNfotunately the stock speedo needs the cable and there is no way around it. The spinning piece inside the speedometer is what the speed pulser uses to send a speed signal to the accord ecu. Unfortunately its not a signal the obd1 ecu uses.

Check this post I made a while ago to see what I ean about the wires.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?p=687763#post687763

bobafett
04-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Damn you Honda!

guaynabo89
04-03-2009, 06:57 AM
lol

you damning the vss or the speedo cable?

bobafett
04-03-2009, 06:59 AM
The cable of course, its a POS, and it cluttered my engine bay for many years. ;-)

2ndGenGuy
04-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Try dealing with the speedo cable in a 2nd gen. There's no top to come off above the cluster. You have like 1/2 inch to squeeze your hand in between the dash and the gauges to pull off the cable. I've ruined at least 2 or 3 cables trying to remove the gauges for various reasons. I would love to delete that damn thing. Total POS.

guaynabo89
04-03-2009, 07:07 AM
yeah I know because of it I have no 2step. :(

MessyHonda
04-03-2009, 10:11 PM
yeah vss can be a pain....i have yet to do it...because my car runs with out it...even tho the computer throws the code for it

gfrg88
04-12-2009, 09:09 PM
yeah I know because of it I have no 2step. :(

no 2-step??? That's the funnest part of tuning a car!! 4500 rpms, pull timing and a lot of fuel, big flames are fun :)

bobafett
05-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Okay just another small update.

Ordered some goodies for the car last week:

Delta Cam - 272 intake / 262 exhaust
750cc Siemens fuel injectors
BOV flange
Turbo, Head, Wastegate, and Downpipe flanges for the turbo manifold that needs to get built.

Hopefully I will get the cam installed over the next week and see how the car behaves with that in there... Hopefully I can keep it idling with the large fuel injectors and the cam. ;-)

Moving forward slowly. Just need to build everything from the head to the tailpipe as far as exhaust goes, and some loose ends like oil return line business.

But at least its getting attention again!

Rendon LX-i
05-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Good to know.....Going to be a treat with that came/injectors in

guaynabo89
05-11-2009, 06:51 AM
cool

keep it up. Hopefully you'll get that mani situation straightened out soon.

gfrg88
05-12-2009, 12:21 PM

BOV flange
Turbo, Head, Wastegate, and Downpipe flanges for the turbo manifold that needs to get built.

Hopefully I will get the cam installed over the next week and see how the car behaves with that in there... Hopefully I can keep it idling with the large fuel injectors and the cam. ;-)

Moving forward slowly. Just need to build everything from the head to the tailpipe as far as exhaust goes, and some loose ends like oil return line business.

vids of idle with the cam and big injectors :sex:

89T
05-30-2009, 02:28 PM

BOV flange

Is it done yet?
Is it done yet?
Is it done yet?
Is it done yet?
Is it done yet?
Is it done yet?
lol!
it's been over half a month, where are you at?

Don't make me p.m. zeph to kick you in the pants. lol!

Rendon LX-i
05-30-2009, 02:29 PM
x2

guaynabo89
05-30-2009, 03:16 PM
X3 ;)

Tdurr
05-30-2009, 03:46 PM
x4

bobafett
05-30-2009, 05:02 PM
x5 :P

Lemme check.... nope - not done yet. :(

Rendon LX-i
05-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Lol......your a smart ass chris lol

MessyHonda
05-30-2009, 06:05 PM
x5 :P

Lemme check.... nope - not done yet. :(

its going to be a 30 year old car by the time the turbo spins

Rendon LX-i
05-30-2009, 07:44 PM
When it does...HOLLY SHIT its going to be bad ass lol..and i can go see it HAHA

goldyaccord
06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Get er done Chris!

Did you move to Longview?

I'm in Tigard now. have to see that beast sometime. :cool:

bobafett
06-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Holy SHIT! Man you gotta come to the meet on June 20th in Portland.

That's cool that you are back in the area. We'll have to meet up and get all caught up on everything.

What are you doing back in Oregon? I moved to Longview cause me and Amber both have jobs up there... Last I talked to you you were still in California I think...

86AccordLxi
06-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Holy shit! It's goldy!

goldyaccord
06-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Holy SHIT!

holy shit! you two are still around.

Yes, I was in Cali. Just came up in March.

There's a meet? Where in Ptown?
I came up to do flooring again... Economy been tankin' so I crossed the fence to greener pastures

What's going on with the motor?

Alex.... you crack me up. How's things?

bobafett
06-02-2009, 09:31 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67968

here is the meet thread. its at a shop called unnatural. alex will know the address. going to meet there in the AM and piggyback on their dyno day, and hang out until the evening when we will head out to PIR for drag races.

The motor is happy and healthy it just needs some tuning. Just put another cam in it last week and it doesn't idle so well anymore. I need to start from scratch with another map to get it driveable again, for some reason the map that we had with the stock cam is really not cutting it this time around. :(

Still don't have a lot of miles on the motor, but its looking forward to some revs once I get it tuned right now that I have a cam that should make power above 5000 rpm.

If you haven't seen pics of the car lately you gotta check it out. I don't have pictures of it with the dash cover on - but it looks sick.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cahumphrey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxINaeJ8WGw - here is a really crappy vid of it driving.

Thanks for the motor lol. :P

goldyaccord
06-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I was about ready to say I want my motor back! lol

and Find me a hatch shell. :P

86AccordLxi
06-03-2009, 08:38 AM
I have a 4d 5spd lxi for sale ;) ;) :)

bobafett
06-03-2009, 10:27 AM

Post Reported! Stop spamming my thread.... :P :mod:

lol

Rendon LX-i
06-03-2009, 10:40 AM

If its not sold in a few months i take that bitch off your hands. i need a dd but a clean one lol

SOrry chris LOL

goldyaccord
06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
ha ha ha. I could see Chris taking a hatchet to Alex! Alex, you failed when you said 4door.

bobafett
06-03-2009, 06:07 PM
lol i whore up my own thread more than anyone. :P I certainly don't mind heh...

whenever i have a rare update i post it and progress is documented. :D

the 4dr is a failure, but its quick for a stock 3g, i gotta give it props!

86AccordLxi
06-03-2009, 08:36 PM
The 4d is dope. Prelude seats an' shit.

2ndGenGuy
06-03-2009, 09:04 PM
The 4d is dope. Prelude seats an' shit.

My 4 door has Prelude seats too. They totally make it faster.

goldyaccord
06-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Prelude seats.. hmmm.

I think I'll stick with buying a RWD/v8 :0

me eye on used vette. we'll see!

bobafett
06-04-2009, 06:06 AM
you should get a cyclone or typhoon hehe :D or a lightning if you are into that kind of thing.

86AccordLxi
06-04-2009, 06:23 AM
My friends just picked up a 90 c4 w/ z51 package. A little rough cosmetically, but only $3k! It's fuggin rad.

bobafett
06-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Fun

goldyaccord
06-10-2009, 07:57 PM
My friends just picked up a 90 c4 w/ z51 package. A little rough cosmetically, but only $3k! It's fuggin rad.

He made out good on the deal if the mileage was right!

I want a C5 or c6.

Wont be surprised if i pick up a LT1 camaro for cheap thrills and swap to 6.0 lsx.

If I wanted syclone, I'd buy cheap s10 find the cladding and go V8. but then, finding some cladding is for cheap is not something easy to do.

What's next for your tuning Chris?

bobafett
06-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Okay I figured I will post another small update. I lowered the car back down to it's appropriate height tonight.

Also got some photos of the dash panel and some crappy photos of the car's new ride height. Still need to cruise around a bit to settle everything, and decide which corners need tweaking, I think the rear needs to come up about 1/8"-1/4" (at least in the passenger rear corner).

Without further procrastination:

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/lowered/DSCN0068.jpg

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/lowered/DSCN0069.jpg

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/lowered/DSCN0070.jpg

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/lowered/DSCN0064.jpg

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/lowered/DSCN0067.jpg

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/lowered/DSCN0074.jpg

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/lowered/DSCN0075.jpg

2ndGenGuy
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Hell yeah dude, looking sharp! Can you get it out of the driveway?

Your house is really crooked, you should get that looked at. ;)

Pico
06-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Looking Sexy.
What brand hood locks are those? I want a set

bobafett
06-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey as long as my driveway is level I don't mind that my house is at a 30 degree angle lol. I did manage to get it out of the middle of garage, with about 1" of clearance to spare on the muffler. I imagine I will be raising that corner of the car up again too, which will help. Right now its tucking which is a bit lower than I want to go with the poor Tokico's out back.

bobafett
06-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks, the hood latches are aerocatch, I bought them here - http://www.deftracing.com/aerocatch_hood_pins/aerocatch_plus_flush_locking_hood_latches.htm

certainly a major project getting them installed, but luckily zeph is not afraid to cut things up and always ends up doing a really nice job!

Rendon LX-i
06-15-2009, 08:50 PM
shit i want a set now. looks sex bro....its wierd how i NEVER seen your car that low..so its ready for saturday? lol...

AccordEpicenter
06-17-2009, 12:21 PM
looks tits chris!!

thegreatdane
06-17-2009, 02:33 PM
truly awesome! and lol at the house comment! nice place btw

ZackieDarko
06-17-2009, 06:32 PM
..so its ready for saturday? Lol...

this

bobafett
06-18-2009, 06:40 AM
definitely not ready for saturday YET. tonight and tomorrow is my last chance at getting it running well enough.

I had it idling okay at the proper AFR. but then it gets a mind of its own and idles at 18:1 and almost dies for a couple seconds. Also, after driving it around it wouldn't idle at all, but while parked it idled just fine. Not sure what the story is there.

Oh well if the weather looks decent I'll ride my motorcycle if the car doesn't cooperate by then. :) still a fun time for me lmao.

But I am hoping to get the car happy enough to drive down there.

bobafett
06-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Didn't get as much HP as I had hoped, but the dyno graph is promising for what is to come. If I had more miles on the motor I would have been more comfortable revving higher, but wanted to take it easy this time around. Once I get 1000 miles on the motor I might be ready to spin it up to 8000. :D

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/dyno/chrisdyno-001.jpeg

Rendon LX-i
06-20-2009, 11:23 PM
O thats just a big yan for her. when she breaths its going to be 300hp lol

bobafett
06-21-2009, 06:49 AM
fingers are crossed! :D hurry up and buy my manifold so I can afford the merge collector I need! Fucking thing is gonna be very expensive just for a tiny little collector. But it should make turbo placement much easier.

Rendon LX-i
06-21-2009, 02:00 PM
this week man this week. lol

Tdurr
06-21-2009, 02:33 PM
lulz, u waiting on me arnt u :P

btw, i found a big 16g for $175.. missing the WG actuator arm so im gonna offer him 150. instant upgrade. lol
/thread jack.

2ndGenGuy
06-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Dude your torque curve was NICE! Your power seems to get a bit wobbly up top. I bet if you continued that curve you'd see it hit at least 130hp by 8000RPM :)

bobafett
06-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah I am pretty sure I just need more timing. The stock P75 map has more, I just pulled some to be safe when I originally translated the maps from crome to WinTEC.

I think if I add more timing in the top end it would have kept climbing just fine. Yeah I totally can't wait to get some more miles on it so I can finally stretch that motor out a bit! 8000 rpm is going to be totally insane in an A20.

Did you get a video of my car on the dyno? I totally forgot to setup my camera to record the pulls. I guess there is always a next time! heheh

Rendon LX-i
06-21-2009, 10:38 PM
i do...i didnt get everyone but i have yours in there...its on the portland pic theard

BITESIZE
06-22-2009, 09:15 AM
That's a bad ass setup you have on the hatch. Don't know what it all does, but looks kick ass!

87roach
06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Very nice man, it's going to be hella awesome once you get it all sorted out!

guaynabo89
06-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Yup

Can't wait to see it running turbo.

The hatch definitely has a business look to it. ;)

2ndGenGuy
06-22-2009, 11:41 AM
^^ haha the hatch definitely has it's business socks.

BITESIZE
06-22-2009, 11:46 AM
I think a roll bar cage would be freakin sick in that hatch.

bobafett
06-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Yep it will definitely get a 4 pt roll bar w/harness bar in the future. I will have it built with the option to add on and convert it into a full 6pt cage further down the road. Definitely not at the top of my priority list though. First things first, I gotta get a manifold/downpipe built.

Rendon LX-i
06-22-2009, 05:23 PM
i know i know your waiting on me so you can start lol

bobafett
06-22-2009, 07:22 PM
yeah but promptly after that I will be waiting for something else lol. its not like that is the ONLY thing left. no rush man...

MessyHonda
06-22-2009, 07:22 PM
yeah it was nice to see your car in person...its a bad ass racer...yeah i almost have the same set up as you but with 170k...i guess we need to tune it.

bobafett
06-22-2009, 07:36 PM
thanks! its getting there SLOWLY but surely.

Zufer
06-27-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm still pumped on how well the car runs and dyno'd.... And good news... i'll be back soon. So get ready for some manifold fab to start soon!

bobafett
06-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah I went and took it for another little rip around last night with amber, it behaved pretty well, but we are going to have to redo the idle parts of the map!

It is definitely time to get a turbo manifold going though. :D

scars_of_carma
01-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Any update on the manifold?

bobafett
01-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Zeph has done some work redesigning the manifold, hoping to get a materials list together soon. Honestly not sure how long it will take to get the beast fabbed up, but believe me, I have learned to be patient. It will all get done, and it will get done right. Just couldn't guess when.

Rendon LX-i
01-07-2010, 07:49 PM
ummm i cant wait....chris and rendon rolling down the highway hitting boost like crazy LOL.....i wont keep up but atleast im there with you.

bobafett
01-08-2010, 08:14 AM
yeah it will have been a loooong time coming. we can throwdown at pir too which will be a blast!

Rendon LX-i
01-08-2010, 07:52 PM
FUCK ya. ill prolly have my new build done. WOOT WOOT. .....Just take your time and get it done right.

gfrg88
01-09-2010, 09:39 AM
damn, its been a long time since I've been on here.. car's looking good, can't wait to see it all finished up :thumbup:

Low Tek
01-10-2010, 01:41 AM
OMG.. Still working on that hatch? lol

Thought you would have had it done, blown up and on to a bigger motor... hahah - jk

How have ya been man, car looks good...

bobafett
01-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Hey man! Been good... busy and all that, but can't complain. What are you up to these days? Does Chris still have my buddies copy of Drift Bible? He asks me about it every so often still :P

Low Tek
01-10-2010, 05:03 PM
I hear ya about being busy - I work as a freelance photographer and jus got an offer working for a non profit place doin photo's all over Washington and Oregon.

I am not sure if he has that or not - it's the Drift Bible, right?

We should get together and hang sometime....

bobafett
10-17-2010, 09:35 AM
http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/manifold/DSCN0181.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/manifold/DSCN0182.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/manifold/DSCN0186.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/manifold/DSCN0188.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/manifold/DSCN0189.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/manifold/DSCN0191.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/manifold/DSCN0193.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/manifold/DSCN0194.JPG

Well Zeph and I did some work on the car after having it sit since the dyno day meet. This manifold has been modeled on a computer for a while now, and I finally got around to buying bends so it was time to get something done.

What you see here is the result of about 1 day of fabbing plus or minus the time spend to redo the first runner which was a bit goofy at first.

This was our first time trying to build something like this, and its tacked together now and ready to be finish welded sometime soon.

Remember this projects???!?!?!

89T
10-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Not bad! Not bad at all!

guaynabo89
10-17-2010, 01:06 PM
looks awsome man. Glad to see your still working on it. :D

Rendon LX-i
10-17-2010, 02:04 PM
NICE.....thats awesome bro. Great manifold...

2drSE-i
10-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Very nice looking manifold!

AccordEpicenter
10-17-2010, 07:19 PM
fuck you guys and your sexy bling bling turbo mani's haha. Very nice work and very original, i cant wait until it runs. Whats left until its dyno ready?

2ndGenGuy
10-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Damn, he's back! Great looking manifold! :)

87roach
10-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Wooooow I am glad to see that you're getting after it!

Tight mani :O

88lxi-shortram
10-19-2010, 05:39 AM
how much would it cost if i got someone to make me a manifold liike that? that things sick

Rendon LX-i
10-19-2010, 06:33 AM
500 dollar range or higher easy

bobafett
10-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. It is being finish welded this week. As for what is left; I need to get a new oil pan (mine is way warped from the baffling that got added), tap pan and run oil lines, build at least a downpipe to my existing 2.25" exhaust and a wastegate dump tube, install the 750cc injectors and 3 bar map sensor, and start the tune over from scratch. Not sure if i will attempt another street tune or if I will just defer to the experts and pay to get it towed to a shop for tuning. Knowing me I'll try and at least get a basemap that let's me idle and free rev and then I'll end up on the street anyway.

My wg spring is super weak (3.65psi) so I'll probably be playing around with boost target being around 6 psi max until I get the hang of the tuning. Once I take it for a shop or dyno tune it will be using around a 10 or 12 psi spring, until I figure out what the power is like. I'm a little nervous about using a 15 psi spring in a 'street car', but I'll start slow around 6 for now.

As for the cost. I have 275 into materials (it's mild steel), 2.5 yrs of r&d, and 3 days fab time into it. Zeph and I figure it's like a $300,000 manifold.

Honestly i have no idea what it would cost to recreate, it was fairly straightforward to build (read: cut bends and tack up), but we had a LOT of thought into it ahead of time. I shudder to think what it would have cost if i would have handed our original drawings to a fabricator and told them to build it. If I could have walked into a shop and paid $500 for this my car would be fast already lol.

89T
10-19-2010, 03:22 PM
hmm! drawings. nice.
I usually just place the turbo where i want it , bolt the flanges up and get to it.

I have even built one starting with the down pipe then the primaries around it.

Chris it looks really good, but can you explain the collector to me. What are the benefit's to using that style of collector. It seems there my be a bit of turbulence right where the primaries enter the collector. feed back please:)

Make sure you weld in some braces to help prevent cracking welds.

Hit me up in pm's.

Tdurr
10-21-2010, 11:24 AM
i came.

Rendon LX-i
10-21-2010, 06:52 PM
I just cant wait to see it in person.

guaynabo89
10-21-2010, 07:28 PM
i came.

you sir are going to have to walk around with a condom on at all times. :lol:

AccordEpicenter
10-22-2010, 11:56 AM
i came.

I wanted to shake your hand for being one of the very few turbo 3gs, but now... im not soo sure hahahaha

89T
10-22-2010, 02:09 PM
ooh!snap!

Rendon LX-i
10-22-2010, 02:25 PM
OUCH......ATTACK TIMMY LOL. Wait. You came. WTF LOL

Justin86
10-23-2010, 10:05 AM
SEXY!!! :thumbup:

EricW
10-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Nice work on the manifold.

ShyBoyCA6
10-25-2010, 08:17 PM
wow that looks SEX!

charliekuney
10-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Bro, I need to see this vehicle.

bobafett
10-30-2010, 10:09 AM
More updates:

The downpipe is almost done, just need to tack the t3 flange to the rest of the downpipe. The wastegate will be dumped at the front of the car ;-). Really happy with these two peices. Unfortunately honda thought it would be a good idea to use a grossly non standard flange so we will either make one if I can find plate or just hack off the cat flange and just weld on a real 3 bolt :P

Next to build is a 2.5" mid pipe to get the exhaust all connected for now. Once I get the car situated I will redo the midpipe and the rest of the exhaust and bump the exhaust after the downpipe up to 3" for good measure.

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/downpipe/DSCN0196.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/downpipe/DSCN0197.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/downpipe/DSCN0199.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/downpipe/DSCN0200.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/downpipe/DSCN0202.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/downpipe/DSCN0203.JPG

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/downpipe/DSCN0204.JPG

bobafett
10-30-2010, 10:25 AM
can you explain the collector to me. What are the benefit's to using that style of collector. It seems there my be a bit of turbulence right where the primaries enter the collector. feed back please:)

The collector was built because we needed the turbo as high as possible to enable us to still make a downpipe that doesn't make me suicidal. The limiting factors would be how close our runners can get to the hood and how long our collector is.

To be honest I have never seen another collector built like that. But we did that mostly cause we could make a short collector and it was going to be easier and cheaper than trying to build a merge collector that would be as short as we needed.

And I agree, the flow probably isn't as good as a true merge collector, however, I felt like I would lose at least that much efficiency in some of the crazy downpipe designs we had originally planned.

We didn't run any flow bench tests in the model, but I suppose I could try it and see what the computer tells us. My gut tells me that this whole setup is still going to be pretty decent flow.

Hash_man_Se_i
10-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Heck yes!... This build is looking fantastic bobafett!

New manifold, downpipe and such look real good.

87roach
10-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Shit yea, even more progress!! It's inspiring me to get on mine finally.

Like Hash said, it's looking really good man!

Tdurr
11-01-2010, 05:27 PM
I wanted to shake your hand for being one of the very few turbo 3gs, but now... im not soo sure hahahaha
u kno u wanna still haha
im the only DD atm :D
at least 3-5 days a week im boosting somewhere.

OUCH......ATTACK TIMMY LOL. Wait. You came. WTF LOL
DONT JUDGE ME!!!!

Shit yea, even more progress!! It's inspiring me to get on mine finally.

Like Hash said, it's looking really good man!

Very sexy. im loving the whole set up. also wut intake mani is that? the typhoon one?

zombellio
11-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Your car looks amazing man...top notch work on the turbo set-up

89T
11-02-2010, 02:22 PM
The collector was built because we needed the turbo as high as possible to enable us to still make a downpipe that doesn't make me suicidal. The limiting factors would be how close our runners can get to the hood and how long our collector is.

To be honest I have never seen another collector built like that. But we did that mostly cause we could make a short collector and it was going to be easier and cheaper than trying to build a merge collector that would be as short as we needed.

And I agree, the flow probably isn't as good as a true merge collector, however, I felt like I would lose at least that much efficiency in some of the crazy downpipe designs we had originally planned.

We didn't run any flow bench tests in the model, but I suppose I could try it and see what the computer tells us. My gut tells me that this whole setup is still going to be pretty decent flow.

Numbers would be cool, but not nessasary. I am just pumped you are getting closer to being done.:rockon:

u kno u wanna still haha
im the only DD atm :D
at least 3-5 days a week im boosting somewhere.
you'r days are numbered. :)

Tdurr
11-03-2010, 12:40 AM
^^ BRING IT ONN!!
hahaha i dont wanna be the only DD here.

gfrg88
12-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Bobafett?

military mase
12-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Havent been on in a long while. Build is still looking good bro

AccordEpicenter
12-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Is that mani PS compatable?

bobafett
12-29-2011, 01:01 AM
I am still alive! Obviously haven't been making a hell of a lot of progress on the car, but its still really close to be completed. I should be ordering another oil pan soon and I will get my oil lines done. The rest is easy stuff...

I am not sure if it's gonna idle at all with batch fired 750cc injectors. In order to run properly I may need to switch to sequential fuel injection which means I need to add a cam sensor. But I will see what I can get away with with the 750's without going to that trouble first.

Check back every few years I might actually have more updates. Gonna have to get it running soon and get some more videos. :P

That manifold probably isn't anything compatible. However I can reach every bolt so I don't give a shit! ;)

Chris

obdriver6
12-29-2011, 01:09 AM
DAMN! it been a year since this was last updated but its good to hear that you still have it and that you're working on it.....btw that manifold looks BEAST!!!

gfrg88
12-29-2011, 07:28 AM
you should be able to idle those 750s pretty decently :)

89T
12-29-2011, 08:33 PM
chris get you'r ass moving bro!

Rendon LX-i
01-09-2012, 02:35 PM
yeah wtf mr slacker lol. Im going to have to drop by lol

89T
02-11-2012, 07:43 PM
I am bumping every old turbo thread. Is it running or gone.

cdscowboy
02-16-2012, 05:44 PM
From what I heard from e1greigo, he has all the parts, but the motor is currently N/A, and I think it runs...

87roach
02-16-2012, 06:40 PM
It runs last I saw, I watched it on the dyno.

2ndGenGuy
02-16-2012, 10:30 PM
And he put down an impressive dyno for a stock, low-compression engine.

gfrg88
02-17-2012, 02:26 PM
where is the dyno sheet to prove these so called impressive numbers!! ;)

89T
02-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Didn't get as much HP as I had hoped, but the dyno graph is promising for what is to come. If I had more miles on the motor I would have been more comfortable revving higher, but wanted to take it easy this time around. Once I get 1000 miles on the motor I might be ready to spin it up to 8000. :D

http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/dyno/chrisdyno-001.jpeg

where is the dyno sheet to prove these so called impressive numbers!! ;)
Only one page back Gio..

None of this really matters though. Well, unless we get these guys posting again.

gfrg88
02-17-2012, 09:19 PM
reading pwns me y0!! :slap:

bobafett
05-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Ugh, I really just need to finish this project! :P

Had a lot going on lately, but the last few posts got it right, car is in about the same place it was. The work I need to do is pretty straightforward. Everyone do the old accord dance and maybe I will be able to finish it this summer hahah.

89T
05-12-2012, 01:36 PM
It's nice to see that you are still alive!

guaynabo89
06-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Everyone do the old accord dance and maybe I will be able to finish it this summer hahah.

Ive done it 3 times already.....where are the results? :wave:

89T
02-11-2013, 11:22 AM
well another summer has come and gone. with no results to carry on. A swift kick to carry you along, no results to carry on. all the posts to help you go on, still results we need to go on. Haha! Where the hell are you Chris:D
The accord dance didn't work....

Anyone want add to the poem. Maybe we can get him back to work.

Legend_master
02-11-2013, 11:51 AM
well another summer has come and gone. with no results to carry on. A swift kick to carry you along, no results to carry on. all the posts to help you go on, still results we need to go on. Haha! Where the hell are you Chris:D

89t your such a turbo hoe lol.

89T
02-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by 89T (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1117251)

89t your such a turbo hoe lol.
Haha! Just trying to get these Guys back and posting..

2oodoor
02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
The accord dance didn't work....so come on back, you're not such a jerk

You asked someone to add to the poem lol :)>

Rendon LX-i
02-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Chris is sure slacking . Time to see that beast in action

Dr_Snooz
02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm dancing too.

89T
02-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Chris is sure slacking . Time to see that beast in action

He lives out by you no? Stop by and get him going.

Rendon LX-i
02-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Gonna have too lol hit 2 step in his drive way.........wait his driveway is a nightmare lol no joke lol

89T
02-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Gonna have too lol hit 2 step in his drive way.........wait his driveway is a nightmare lol no joke lol

You have coilovers, put it up into 4x4 mode and handle it. ;)

2ndGenGuy
02-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Point your car uphill on his driveway. Should make the burnout much easier. :)