PDA

View Full Version : cam caps...

88lxi-shortram
09-02-2012, 12:19 PM
ok so i started helping my buddy finish his head gasket on his 87 lude. he apparently had no idea what he was doing and removed alot of shit he didnt need to. needless to say he removed the bolts on the cam bolts and i dont want to tighten them down completly til i know the torque specs on them... so does anyone know the specs? ive been searching here and google with no luck.

2ndGenPreludeSi
09-02-2012, 12:25 PM
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee425/brandonickolasgibson/ojn.png (http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee425/brandonickolasgibson/?action=view&current=ojn.png)

This?

lostforawhile
09-02-2012, 12:35 PM
he didn't mix them up did he? you want to torque them to spec using a criss cross pattern don't tighten any one bolt all the way at one time, tighten each bolt a turn or two,next bolt, next bolt, until you get to the final torque spec, if it's not done right the cam could bind or the rocker shafts could bind

88lxi-shortram
09-02-2012, 12:56 PM
thx for the diagram. and lost by "mix them up" you give me the impression that eac bolt should only be used on the original hole it was in.... and in that case, yes he did mix them up.

lostforawhile
09-02-2012, 03:47 PM
thx for the diagram. and lost by "mix them up" you give me the impression that eac bolt should only be used on the original hole it was in.... and in that case, yes he did mix them up.

i mean the caps themselves, did he take the rocker assembly apart? if you dismantle the assembly and mix up the caps the entire thing would have to be bolted to the head and line bored, the bolts doesn't matter

cygnus x-1
09-03-2012, 05:38 AM
It would be pretty tough to mix up the caps since I'm pretty sure they're marked. And even then most of them are unique and things won't fit if they're mixed up.

C|

lostforawhile
09-03-2012, 06:47 AM
It would be pretty tough to mix up the caps since I'm pretty sure they're marked. And even then most of them are unique and things won't fit if they're mixed up.

C|

I couldn't remember off the top of my head, some Honda ones can get switched around