PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank size?

gtoman
09-04-2012, 06:53 PM
In my chiltons manual and the online info it says the 3rd gen accords have a 15.9 gal fuel tank. When I fill up I can never put more than about 9 gal in it before the pump clicks and once I made it splash out just a little to see if it was really full. What size is our tank really? I think mine is only 10 gal. Is this correct? Strange thing is, my fuel needle only goes to half way even when I can't fit more fuel in.

Adam

RAZR
09-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Their 15.9 Ive put 13 gallons into my 3Gee before.

Buzo
09-05-2012, 05:41 AM
You must have some problems with the venting system of your tank.

The tank is designed to vent all the vapors and send them to the canister during a tank fill, a fuel cut-off valve allows the vapors to escape to the canister, but as soon as the liquid reaches the valve it closes the vapor port and the pressure starts to build up inside the tank.

The pump in the gas station is always measuring that pressure through the pump nozzle (its called back pressure). As soon as it raises to a certain level, it automatically shuts off.

I would start replacing the fuel cut-off valve since it seems to be closing at a lower pressure than it should. Page 11-80 of the manual.

DBMaster
09-05-2012, 06:52 AM
I had problems with fuel splashing often. I never used more than the second setting on the gas pumps when filling up yet it would still splash out unless I lowered it to the first setting when I knew it was getting close. This must have been a design issue because my Mazda 3 has no problems at all with fuel splash.

gp02a0083
09-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I had problems with fuel splashing often. I never used more than the second setting on the gas pumps when filling up yet it would still splash out unless I lowered it to the first setting when I knew it was getting close. This must have been a design issue because my Mazda 3 has no problems at all with fuel splash.

my 94 Ford F250 has a similar issue with the front tank when filling it up. the gas doesn't drain into the tank quick enough. Its a design issue

POS carb
09-10-2012, 02:18 PM
my owner's manual says 60L/15.9 gal

import racer
09-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Mine Too!

lostforawhile
09-10-2012, 08:06 PM
how do you know the tank is fully empty? when it's on E there is still a reserve, you don't ever want to run out this reserve because it cools the pump, on these cars not only the FI pump but the oddball low pressure in tank pump for the carb. I think there was only one other car made that had a low pressure in tank pump for a carb and that was one of the fox body mustangs. Honda had to be strange on this one

car6289
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
I've had a few fillups of 52 to 53 litres. (about 14 US gallons)
Sounds like your sending unit in the fuel tank has gone tits up.
1/2 has become your new full.

lostforawhile
09-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I've had a few fillups of 52 to 53 litres. (about 14 US gallons)
Sounds like your sending unit in the fuel tank has gone tits up.
1/2 has become your new full.

could also be the gauge, don't forget the gauge isn't linear, 1/2 to full is different then half to empty, most gas gauges are like this, that's why is seems you run out of gas faster from 1/2 on down then from a full fill up to half ,it's just the way the senders work and the angle of the float arm

247shuer247
09-11-2012, 05:18 AM
idk but the most i have ever been able to fill it up was about 12 almost 13 gallons and that was super empty how is 3 more gallons suppose to fit ???

car6289
09-11-2012, 06:45 AM
could also be the gauge, don't forget the gauge isn't linear, 1/2 to full is different then half to empty, most gas gauges are like this, that's why is seems you run out of gas faster from 1/2 on down then from a full fill up to half ,it's just the way the senders work and the angle of the float arm

So that's why the top half of a full gas tank seemingly lasts longer than the bottom half. Thanks lost!

DBMaster
09-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Also, the shape of the tank itself has an effect. Want to hear something funny, though? I messed up my fuel and temp gauges one of the times I disassembled the cluster to replace the "D4" light. I went to a salvage yard and bought a gauge assembly to replace it. The replacement fuel gauge read a bit differently than the original. When filling up the tank it would just barely reach the "F" mark where the old one would go slightly past it. Other than that I think it also went through the first half slower than the second half.

lostforawhile
09-11-2012, 01:10 PM
idk but the most i have ever been able to fill it up was about 12 almost 13 gallons and that was super empty how is 3 more gallons suppose to fit ???
how are you determining super empty? the gauge? even when the light is on there is something like a gallon and a half

lostforawhile
09-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Also, the shape of the tank itself has an effect. Want to hear something funny, though? I messed up my fuel and temp gauges one of the times I disassembled the cluster to replace the "D4" light. I went to a salvage yard and bought a gauge assembly to replace it. The replacement fuel gauge read a bit differently than the original. When filling up the tank it would just barely reach the "F" mark where the old one would go slightly past it. Other than that I think it also went through the first half slower than the second half.

there are two different gauge makers, I assume the senders are different too

POS carb
09-11-2012, 02:11 PM
In my chiltons manual and the online info it says the 3rd gen accords have a 15.9 gal fuel tank. When I fill up I can never put more than about 9 gal in it before the pump clicks and once I made it splash out just a little to see if it was really full. What size is our tank really? I think mine is only 10 gal. Is this correct? Strange thing is, my fuel needle only goes to half way even when I can't fit more fuel in.

Adam

GTOMAN,
sounds like there is something wrong with the ventilation of the tank or the sending unit. even with a bad sending unit you should be able to put more than 9 gallons in it, unless the sender is telling you the tank is empty when it really has 5 gallons left in it. This could happen if the float has a crack or hole and is partially filled with fuel.

Best way to check would be to pull out the pump and check the float for cracks or shake it to hear for liquid inside...
or have a gas can in your trunk, run the tank dry, use your gas in the can to get to a gas station and see if you can put in more than 9 gallons.

lostforawhile
09-11-2012, 03:49 PM
GTOMAN,
sounds like there is something wrong with the ventilation of the tank or the sending unit. even with a bad sending unit you should be able to put more than 9 gallons in it, unless the sender is telling you the tank is empty when it really has 5 gallons left in it. This could happen if the float has a crack or hole and is partially filled with fuel.

Best way to check would be to pull out the pump and check the float for cracks or shake it to hear for liquid inside...
or have a gas can in your trunk, run the tank dry, use your gas in the can to get to a gas station and see if you can put in more than 9 gallons.

dont want to run it dry you can damage the pump that quick, the gas is what keeps it from burning up, thats why the reserve warning light, float is on the passenger side pump is on the drivers side

pickupman6
09-18-2012, 08:46 PM
I have went 110 miles after the light stayed on. I knew it was time to fill cause it was cutting out when I turned left. When I filled it up it took a little over 15 gallons. I have no problem believing these thing hold almost 16 gallons. I would say either your gauge or sender is bad.

MessyHonda
09-18-2012, 08:55 PM
just went on a road trip and the most I put was 12.6 gals that was with the light turning on. that was around 340-350 miles to the tank

AccordB20A
09-18-2012, 11:28 PM
this--->60L/15.9 gal

the fuel pump cannot get the last 3 or 4 liters out anyways

A18A
09-19-2012, 01:08 AM
or you could have a big dent in your tank :)

I have went 110 miles after the light stayed on. I knew it was time to fill cause it was cutting out when I turned left. When I filled it up it took a little over 15 gallons. I have no problem believing these thing hold almost 16 gallons. I would say either your gauge or sender is bad.
that's funny, mine cuts out on right hand corners, i have to swerve left for it to keep going lol

stezie
09-19-2012, 01:14 AM
I removed the tank at the weekend from my car. The red light was on before I parked the car up.
I still managed to pump out nearly 15 liters of petrol before dropping the tank, and there still was another liter that I got out from the drain bolt . ( I use the word petrol and liters cause I'm in ireland, and our gallon is 4.54 l.)

Even if you do drive the car to it dies out there is stil juice in the corners of the tank. I figured this out in my S2000 where I was running out on a motorway. The car died completly. I shaked the steering wheel left to right as the car was coasting. That brought petrol to the pick up area and the engine came back to life. I still managed 12 more miles till I got to the petrol station, when I filled I squeezed in 59.4 liters..

lostforawhile
09-19-2012, 05:16 PM
do not run the car out of fuel after the light comes on, like I mentioned before the fuel left in reserve is what cools the pump. you are supposed to stop as soon as possible after the light comes on, the light coming on is to warn you are on reserve, every time you run these pumps dry is causes damage to the pump