PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Riddle For Ya!

mindlos
10-20-2002, 03:45 PM
At least it stumps me. Why does my fuel gauge go no further than three quarters level on a full tank of regular (87 octane here) and just gets to the full mark when on plus (89 octane). I have tried this three times now and behaves consistently (only because sometimes plus and regular cost the same). Havent tried super. How does the fuel gauge work and why would the octane affect it.

Just curious.

Dutchboy
10-20-2002, 05:07 PM
propabaly becasue of the different levels of water in the kinds of fuel mabye?

im not sure....that sure is wierd

79EK1
10-20-2002, 05:45 PM
It's probably because the 89 octane gas is blended differently than the 87 to get the extra two points. If the 89 has a higher density, then the float level will be higher in the tank, and your gauge will read full.

smufguy
10-20-2002, 07:18 PM
this is the first ever i have come across something like this. The density should not be an issue due to the difference in octane levels, but its still a puzzling factor. hmmmm......

Immeraufdemhund
10-20-2002, 07:58 PM
you think his float might be messed up?

79EK1
10-20-2002, 10:38 PM
Well, I couldn't think of any other reason why the float level would change consistently (3 times) with the different gas. Seems odd to me as well.

mindlos
10-21-2002, 08:25 AM
I guess the float is messed up somehow. Is it solid floating material that can absorb solvent or is it a sealed air ball? Might be absorbing some of that 87 unrefined extra impurities and sinking a bit. My car sounds like a steam engine on that 87 so I'm not using it any more. Also, when the low gas gas light comes on with the needle just a tad past the empty mark it usually fills up with about 13.5 gallons. I guess they have to err on the conservative side for liability issues.

Ah well ...

ACCORD EX
10-21-2002, 08:47 AM
mine shows always below the actual ! but that's better than showing over the actual right ? ! :D

MIKE

mindlos
10-21-2002, 09:08 AM
Certainly! Of course the dumbest thing is getting to empty then thinking to yourself I still got some to go. Only happened once driving cross country except it was the wrong place and time: where there were no gas stations along the highway for miles and miles. Actually I wasnt driving so it wasnt my fault and we almost ran out of gas. Literally running on fumes and the car was jerking. I swear I was going to kick the guy to the gas station along the highway. In retrospect, it was a pretty good thriller. Better than any Stephen King I read. I dont understand how people run out of gas.