PDA

View Full Version : Distributor from boneyard

DanG86LX
10-20-2002, 04:21 PM
1st Q: As I mention on another thread, i got a distributor from wreckers and i wanted to have it cleaned and ready for my car.. well the one on the car needs some more cleaning since last time i had it off, i had no guts to pull the reluctor off (breaking it).
With the spare distributor i was ready for some training so i forced the reluctor off (not easy but eventually it came off), pulled off pickup coil and breaker plate (last one quite sticky), didn't remove the stator and magnet piece from breaker plate though. Now for the first time i had a look at the centrifugal advance behind the breaker plate with 2 weights and 2 springs and rotor shaft. Removed the two springs and VOILA, they are NOT EQUAL, one looked stretched a bit than the other. I wander is this by design or one spring (longer one) need to be replaced? It doesn't leave any slack when in place, but it is definitely stretch a bit compare with the other one.
BTW the rotor shaft was stuck on the main distributor shaft (harden red power stuff) so i had to remove the whole thing from the housing.

2nd Q: i thought MT and AT have same distributor, however MT is timed @ 24* on N, AT @ 15* on gear. Where is this 9* difference coming from? they might have different Vacuum Advance Diaphragm.. I have AT and didnt' notice much difference between "N" and "gear". I just fear if i plug this distributor on my car i might end up with to much advance.. :stupid:

Help appreciated, thanks.

Maydnaella
10-20-2002, 04:35 PM
holy hell...someday i hope to understand all this

smufguy
10-20-2002, 07:35 PM
well the MT and AT timings, are they the same (Hitachi or TEC). cause i never came across anything like that.

carotman
10-21-2002, 05:01 AM
indeed, manuals are 24 and auto are 15 (this is on the carbed cars)

The EFI cars have 15 on auto or manual.