PDA

View Full Version : Key Replacement

Metal_GearRex94
09-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Does anybody know a good site for key replacements?

Dr_Snooz
09-10-2012, 02:46 PM
If you have an existing key, then Wal-Mart or any hardware store. If you don't, then you need a locksmith. If you have the key code, the dealer should be able to punch a new one for you from that alone.

Metal_GearRex94
09-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Where can I get the key code from?

DBMaster
09-10-2012, 03:10 PM
^I did that once after buying a used car that came with no original keys. You can contact Honda US and prove you are the owner of the vehicle and you can get the key code based upon the VIN. You might be stuck going to a Honda dealer and paying $10-20 for an official key, but I found that having a clean, first generation key can make all the difference. If you go this route, store the one you get and only use copies made directly from it.

Metal_GearRex94
09-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks will look into, I didn't mention the fact that the car did not come with the keys (didn't want to be seen as a theft) So most defiantly will go that route. thanks.

RAZR
09-10-2012, 03:52 PM
^I did that once after buying a used car that came with no original keys. You can contact Honda US and prove you are the owner of the vehicle and you can get the key code based upon the VIN. You might be stuck going to a Honda dealer and paying $10-20 for an official key, but I found that having a clean, first generation key can make all the difference. If you go this route, store the one you get and only use copies made directly from it.

I got my OEM keys from my honda dealer for 6 bucks a piece but they said my car was to old for them to cut keys

247shuer247
09-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks will look into, I didn't mention the fact that the car did not come with the keys (didn't want to be seen as a theft) So most defiantly will go that route. thanks.

theif !!!! lol

jk shit if you have no key just buy some jingle keys and unlock any honda lol

charliekuney
09-12-2012, 06:53 PM
I got OEM keys cut from the Honda dealership with my registration for $4.99 each. Do not get hardware store keys...they are generally low-quality and might break in a lock or the ignition.

Dr_Snooz
09-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Where can I get the key code from?

The code is stamped into the metal of the original key. It's a good idea to make a note of it when you first buy a car, in case you end up needing it later.

2oodoor
09-13-2012, 09:50 AM
sometimes you can luck up at the junk yard and the keys are left in the ign or inside somewhere, then you could snag the whole lock and key.
The keys to the 86 DX I had would fit my 86 LX doors but not the ignition, yet the same key that belongs to the LX fit both :ugh2:
The 87 Lxi keys don't work though:tongue:

ecogabriel
09-13-2012, 02:58 PM
I got OEM keys cut from the Honda dealership with my registration for $4.99 each. Do not get hardware store keys...they are generally low-quality and might break in a lock or the ignition.

DBMaster x2 here:

I got an OEM key cut for my civic (paid 7-8 bucks or so); you only need your car registration or tag w/you and they take the VIN to make the key.
Because that key worked perfect, I made hardware store copies from it and I use those instead of the OEM which I keep as a master key from which to make copies from.

HON-DUH
09-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Wait, so if I just go to my local Honda dealership with my registration and my blank Honda keys, they'll do em for $4.99 each?

Because when I called them like 3 months ago, all I asked was if they made copies from a blank I had and they wanted to charge me $10+

Thanks

ecogabriel
09-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Wait, so if I just go to my local Honda dealership with my registration and my blank Honda keys, they'll do em for $4.99 each?

Because when I called them like 3 months ago, all I asked was if they made copies from a blank I had and they wanted to charge me $10+

Thanks

They provide the blanks, but the price is pretty much what the dealer wants to charge (I was charged 7.99 plus tax). Ask in another dealership if there is another in the area; it is worth having a good master key from which to make copies to use.

Dr_Snooz
09-18-2012, 07:35 PM
A lot of times, the dealer will kick you down a 10% discount or so if you just ask. The markup is so high, apparently, that they can knock off a few percent for anyone and not feel it.

MessyHonda
09-18-2012, 08:49 PM
i only use my key for the ignition and trunk. i have an alarm with keyless entry. I thought all the original honda keys were sold. maybe they made a new batch.

Metal_GearRex94
09-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Another question. I took Of the ignition switch, because it was already out of place, some one tried to break into it car,while the last owner had it, anyways. I took the whole ignition part off, and know I need an Ignition switch with the key, does any one know if I can use the numbers on the part to get an oem part and key, or are those irrelevant numbers?