PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if I have a power antenna

elarson88
09-16-2012, 07:30 PM
So in searching around it seems like alot of these cars have the dreaded power antenna. How do I tell if mine has it as I need to replace mine. Is there a switch that controls it or does it just go up/ down as the stereo is turned on/off? My car is a 1988 Canadian LX sedan but has no power options other than cruise and a/c.

import racer
09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
The switch for the power ant is in the console by the shifter.If you have a base model you probably don't have one.

elarson88
09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Awesome believe it or not that's what I want to hear! It will be so much easier to replace!

DBMaster
09-18-2012, 11:28 AM
When my power antenna finally failed after 20+ years I replaced it with a manual one and then kicked myself for not having done it sooner. The power antennas on these cars are a real PITA. I had to constantly tweak, clean, and lubricate the thing to keep it working.

import racer
09-18-2012, 12:51 PM
I shaved mine,didn't like where it was and it leaked.Probably gonna put a shark one on the trunk since I don't want something too big .

MessyHonda
09-18-2012, 08:33 PM
When my power antenna finally failed after 20+ years I replaced it with a manual one and then kicked myself for not having done it sooner. The power antennas on these cars are a real PITA. I had to constantly tweak, clean, and lubricate the thing to keep it working.

I guess I'm lucky. Mine works but now that I have a Pandora on my radio I just have it down. just keep it lubed up and it will last longer.