PDA

View Full Version : How to repair broken louvers?

89HatchbackLxi
09-20-2012, 02:20 PM
When I got my louvers, the middle one of the three metal bars that connects all the metal sheets together was broken in one spot, and I had tried various quick fix methods to repair it, superglue, contact cement, etc, none of which held up too long especially against all the wind where I live. A few months ago, a shop closed my hatch too hard, and that snapped a second bar of the 3...

I noticed the other day while working on my car that now my louvers seem to be warping very slightly in some areas, and I don't want them to continue warping. I want to fix the louvers but I can't think of a good way to do so.... I was wondering if anybody here might have an idea or two on what I can try to save my louvers?

Dr_Snooz
09-20-2012, 08:28 PM
I have never seen the louvers up close, so I apologize if this sounds retarded, but can you scab a piece of aluminum onto the side of the support?

89HatchbackLxi
09-21-2012, 12:34 PM
I have never seen the louvers up close, so I apologize if this sounds retarded, but can you scab a piece of aluminum onto the side of the support?

Here's a pic I had on my computer that shows them from inside the car.
http://i50.tinypic.com/de8np.jpg

Those three vertical bars run down the center, supporting the horizontal strips. The one in the middle broke first, and the one on the right side of the picture broke later on. Welding them together seems like the best thing to do, but I can't really weld and I was told aluminum is better to weld in thicker grades, and louvers are pretty thin.

Did you mean to glue or cement some aluminum on the side of it? That might work... Anything you would recommend that would be strong enough to hold the two pieces of aluminum together (preferably that could hold up against the local valley winds)?

CzEcHy
09-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Why not take two pieces of steel or aluminum and drill through bpth and the louvers thwn take a bolt and nut and tighten them. Sandwich the louver between them.

You'll need two bolt spots atleast

89HatchbackLxi
09-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Why not take two pieces of steel or aluminum and drill through bpth and the louvers thwn take a bolt and nut and tighten them. Sandwich the louver between them.

That sounds like a great idea... Thanks!

Dr_Snooz
09-22-2012, 07:17 PM

This is what I was trying to describe, but I guess it wasn't clear. I would use two screws on either side of the crack so it doesn't move around.

This (http://www.doityourself.com/stry/scab-explanation) is what scabbing means.

89HatchbackLxi
09-23-2012, 10:53 PM
This is what I was trying to describe, but I guess it wasn't clear. I would use two screws on either side of the crack so it doesn't move around.

This (http://www.doityourself.com/stry/scab-explanation) is what scabbing means.

Ah, I see. Well, thanks for the help! I think that method should work out exactly the way I wanted it to.

Dr_Snooz
09-25-2012, 08:28 PM
It will not be an invisible repair, unfortunately, but it will be strong and won't be too noticeable.

89HatchbackLxi
09-27-2012, 02:31 PM
It will not be an invisible repair, unfortunately, but it will be strong and won't be too noticeable.

On the bright side at least it's on the underside, rather than in plain view. I think I might do this to all three supports so it looks better, and adds additional support for the future.

romonharvey
09-23-2013, 01:12 PM
I know this thread is old but were did you get your louvers from i really want to get some for my hatch