PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch harness

Metal_GearRex94
09-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Are the ignition switch harness different from and 86-87 and 88-89 or are they all the same? Also including if the pins inside the harness line up with the main harness in the bottom of the steering column.

HLW
09-27-2012, 10:16 PM
The 86-89 ignition switches are the same.

The column multi switch on the 86 is physically different from the 87-89 but electrically they are the same.

lostforawhile
09-28-2012, 03:42 AM
they arent the same, search before giving information, the hatch switches are totally different, and the later switches wont line up in the same position on the column, the position of the welded on tabs changes and the switches change with it

POS carb
09-28-2012, 07:08 AM
The catalog I use at work lists the same # for all years and submodels
Honda 35130-SE0-900
Beck Arnley 201-1647

2oodoor
09-28-2012, 08:44 AM
The question was are the harnesses the same, does that mean color code and pin position?
Not disagreeing with any replies^^^but I will say I don't trust catalogs now Napa and Rock both have messed up on my car a few times recently.

Dr_Snooz
09-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Checking the part numbers on Majestic's site would settle this. Too bad I'm too lazy to find them...

HLW
09-29-2012, 12:15 AM
they arent the same, search before giving information, the hatch switches are totally different, and the later switches wont line up in the same position on the column, the position of the welded on tabs changes and the switches change with it

Lost,

It;s interesting that you say they are different and will not fit since I took one form an 88 or 89 and it fit my 86. Granted they are both sedans, but they fit physically and the electrical connection is the same. This is the switch itself, not the ignition lock.

HLW
09-29-2012, 12:23 AM

Lost,

I just realized you might be referring to the column multi-switch.If you look at what I said, I said the 86 column multi-switch is different fr0m the 87-89 physically. I did not indicate either way for the sedan to hatch.

The initial question was only about the ignition switch and they are the same between the 86-89.

lostforawhile
09-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Lost,

It;s interesting that you say they are different and will not fit since I took one form an 88 or 89 and it fit my 86. Granted they are both sedans, but they fit physically and the electrical connection is the same. This is the switch itself, not the ignition lock.

I put an 89 hatch switch on my 86 they do not just bolt in, the tabs welded to the column are completely different and the switch sits either too towards the driver or two far away, I cant remember, if you put it in the turn signal cancel wont work and the surround around the switch wont fit, you are talking about the combination switch?

HLW
09-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Lost,

I think that is a good handle for you. you seem to have lost your head somewhere.

Please go back to school and learn to read.

The question was about the ignition switch, which is the same on all 86-89 Accords.

To make sure that there was no confusion about the column multi-switch I also stated that the 86 column multi-switch is different form the 87-89.

I have bolted in a column multi-switch from an 88 sedan to my 86 sedan and it does bolt in, but it makes a noise indicating that it does not fit properly even without trying to put the cover over the multi-switch. It also connects to the wiring harness and functions while making the bad noise it makes.

Since the hatch has a rear window wiper and washer, the multi-switch for a hatch may not fit in the sedan, but I did not indicate that it would.

For your information, the ignition switch is the plastic part with wires coming out if it that bolts to the back of the ignition lock and is only used to turn the car on and off and start the engine.

This is the ignition switch
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/LS897/image/2/

And this is the ignition lock withe the switch cylinder and keys.
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/gen/LA8731/image/2/

You seem yo be mixing that up with the column multi-switch
http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=935673&imageurl=http%3A//www.rockauto.com/info/Airtex/1S1267.jpg

As you stated earlier, please make sure you understand what you are responding to and have the correct information before you reply.

lostforawhile
09-29-2012, 06:53 PM
thats a good way to talk to a long time member, the way your post was worded i thought you were talking about the combination switch, if you measure the position of the tabs on the column, you'll see they are different after the mid generation model changes, I had to go through a lot of trouble to fit an 89 switch in my 86, as the 86 hatch switches simply don't exist. I'm not sure if they are the same now, but the high end ignition switch from nappa, was marked with their brand on the outside, and in a plastic Honda bag inside of the box. my switch doesn't even do anything but serve as an interlock to make sure the column is unlocked as my ignition circuits are controlled by an RFID recognition system and two toggles

Dr_Snooz
09-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Good grief. Why would we look things up and have facts when we can argue and squabble over opinions?

Majestic shows the same part number (35130-SE0-900) for all 3g's 86-88. In 89, they show two different part numbers, the original number (35130-SE0-900) and a new number (35130-SE3-013). All 89 body styles show both numbers and I'm not sure how they determine which one you need. Was there a recall mid-year on steering columns that might explain a design change and new part number?

lostforawhile
09-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Good grief. Why would we look things up and have facts when we can argue and squabble over opinions?

Majestic shows the same part number (35130-SE0-900) for all 3g's 86-88. In 89, they show two different part numbers, the original number (35130-SE0-900) and a new number (35130-SE3-013). All 89 body styles show both numbers and I'm not sure how they determine which one you need. Was there a recall mid-year on steering columns that might explain a design change and new part number?

I think they all have the same ignition switches, but the combination switches changed during the same change where the seat belts,etc changed. I believe an 89 column will bolt right in,so if you have to use a later combo switch, I would just swap the column, I should have done that before I spent all the time modifying the switch, I wonder if the switch change had something to do with cruise or no cruise, but the horn contact can be switched to a switch that had the cruise slip ring, it's just held on with a screw,all of them have the points where the cruise slip ring screws on

HLW
09-29-2012, 09:28 PM
I think they all have the same ignition switches, but the combination switches changed during the same change where the seat belts,etc changed. I believe an 89 column will bolt right in,so if you have to use a later combo switch, I would just swap the column, I should have done that before I spent all the time modifying the switch, I wonder if the switch change had something to do with cruise or no cruise, but the horn contact can be switched to a switch that had the cruise slip ring, it's just held on with a screw,all of them have the points where the cruise slip ring screws on

Lost,

That is exactly what I said when you told me to get my facts straight. I do not understand how you could have thought I was saying the 86-89 column multi-switch were all the same since the to were in different paragraphs that indicated the ignition switch and the column multi-switch separately.

The 86 column multi-switch is weak in the turn signal lever, so it was redesigned to reenforce the weak point. In doing this, the column multi-switch was made thicker making the 87-89 column multi-switch not fit properly on the 86 column.

I did not want to talk to you the way I did in my last reply, but in my experience, when someone keeps making the same mistake in what the are reading, you need to do something drastic to get them to re-read and think about what they are replying to. That combined with the fact that being told I was wrong when in fact I was correct pissed me off to the point of being a little harsher than was probably needed. For that I apologize. It doesn't matter if you are a long time member or just joined yesterday, when you tell someone they are wrong when they are not is asking to be treated with a lack of respect commensurate to the disrespect you give them by telling them the are wrong when they are not.

I understand that everyone makes mistakes from time to time, even I make mistakes periodically. The problem is when you compound your mistake by making the same mistake multiple times, you come off as arrogant and un-intelligent. I know from other posts of yours that you are not un-intelligent.

I hope we can all pay better attention to what we replay to before we reply.

Oldblueaccord
09-30-2012, 07:59 AM
With him good luck sir.

wp

Metal_GearRex94
09-30-2012, 01:36 PM
"And this is the ignition lock withe the switch cylinder and keys."

Would that also fit on 86-89 Honda's?

HLW
09-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes, the 86-89 ignition locks are interchangeable. The 86-88 have the same part number, the 89 has a different part number but it will work on the 86-88.

lostforawhile
03-21-2013, 01:22 AM
Lost,

That is exactly what I said when you told me to get my facts straight. I do not understand how you could have thought I was saying the 86-89 column multi-switch were all the same since the to were in different paragraphs that indicated the ignition switch and the column multi-switch separately.

The 86 column multi-switch is weak in the turn signal lever, so it was redesigned to reenforce the weak point. In doing this, the column multi-switch was made thicker making the 87-89 column multi-switch not fit properly on the 86 column.

I did not want to talk to you the way I did in my last reply, but in my experience, when someone keeps making the same mistake in what the are reading, you need to do something drastic to get them to re-read and think about what they are replying to. That combined with the fact that being told I was wrong when in fact I was correct pissed me off to the point of being a little harsher than was probably needed. For that I apologize. It doesn't matter if you are a long time member or just joined yesterday, when you tell someone they are wrong when they are not is asking to be treated with a lack of respect commensurate to the disrespect you give them by telling them the are wrong when they are not.

I understand that everyone makes mistakes from time to time, even I make mistakes periodically. The problem is when you compound your mistake by making the same mistake multiple times, you come off as arrogant and un-intelligent. I know from other posts of yours that you are not un-intelligent.

I hope we can all pay better attention to what we replay to before we reply.
The later mounting points are welded in a different position on the column, it has nothing to do with the turn signal lever, the combination switch is different,as well as the plastic shroud around it, I went to the junkyard and measured this years ago,to figure this out,since 86 combination switches were discontinued

import racer
03-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Well I know the columns are different because on one of my cars the u-joint was removable and the other was welded to the shaft.