PDA

View Full Version : Suspension parts.

elarson88
09-28-2012, 06:51 PM
So today I found out my car needs some front suspension work to pass inspection. It needs:
Left upper/lower balljoints
Right upper/lower balljoints
Left and right tie rod ends
Left and right strut rod bushings
And an exhaust flex pipe

I have found all the parts on rock auto,except the upper balljoints. It seems that you need to get the upper control arms as they are one piece. Is this correct? I was quoted like $500 to install all this. Is most of this easy to replace with basic understanding and tools?

2ndGenPreludeSi
09-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Its all simple to replace... Just not too simple to align it afterwards haha. But still would be cheaper to replace the parts, then take it in for an alignment.

Vanilla Sky
09-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Accords don't have camber adjustment because the upper A arms are one piece. Preludes have upper A arms that have separate, adjustable ball joints. If you're doing the work anyway, I'd look into sourcing a pair of 2nd gen Prelude upper A arms. If you ever decide to lower the car, you'll have camber adjustability without rebuying parts.

elarson88
09-29-2012, 12:18 PM
So I want to go all moog on these parts. After reading reviews around here they seem to be the best. Here is the order I've put together.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a177/CaptainErik/rockautoorder.png
The only thing I'm not sure of is do I need 1 or 2 sets of the strut rod bushings? Moog control arms come with all the bushings right?

ShyBoyCA6
09-29-2012, 01:02 PM
So I want to go all moog on these parts. After reading reviews around here they seem to be the best. Here is the order I've put together.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a177/CaptainErik/rockautoorder.png
The only thing I'm not sure of is do I need 1 or 2 sets of the strut rod bushings? Moog control arms come with all the bushings right?

Yeah moog control arms already have the bushings. For the strut bushings i think there is four in a set. moog sells 4 in a set i believe but its better to contact them before ordering the parts.

I also suggest some sand paper not the rough kind to sand away the rust and to clean around where the lower ball joint sits. Then add grease where the ball joint sits and some on the metal part of the ball joint itself. this will make for a better installation then putting it bone dry. also metal and metal contact is a NO. so add grease. they will come out easier next time you change them.

MessyHonda
09-30-2012, 09:53 AM
im getting ready to do my front end again. last time i went with the value parts and now it makes nasty noises when i go over bumps. elarson88 that looks like a good list. also when you are changing the parts you should look into the axels to see if they need replacing.

elarson88
09-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Well I don't think I'll be doing prelude a arms as those preludes are hella rare in the junkyards around here. If I do lower, I'll just get the camber kits when the time comes. For now I just want to get it on the road. I'll definitely sand/ grease where I need to. I think the axles are good as my mechanic looked it over and said that was all I need. There's no funny noises when turning or grinding at all. Hopefully I'll be ordering the parts in the next day or so! Then I can ask you guys how to install them when I start to screw up ...

elarson88
10-31-2012, 06:44 PM
So I'm thinking my mechanic told me the wrong tie rod ends to change. Is it common for the inner fronts to fail? Because my outer fronts look pretty bad and seem way easier to replace? Also are the strut rod bushings and radius rod bushings the same thing?

AZmike
10-31-2012, 09:31 PM
So I'm thinking my mechanic told me the wrong tie rod ends to change. Is it common for the inner fronts to fail? Because my outer fronts look pretty bad and seem way easier to replace? Also are the strut rod bushings and radius rod bushings the same thing?

Outer tie rod ends go bad more frequently than the inner tie rod ends in my experience.

They are not the same thing. The strut rod bushings isolate the shock's shaft from the upper shock mount. They are located in the upper shock mounts (2 for each shock). The radius arm bushings provide compliance for the forward portion of the lower control arm. They are located in the front cross member.