PDA

View Full Version : 87 accord lx idle problems

Sohcsleeper
10-01-2012, 05:56 PM
So basically what's going on is whenever I start the car, it idles rough like its missing. This only happens on cold starts. I found a vacuum leak at the base of the carb so I will be replacing the gasket ASAP. Until then I have adjusted the idle a little higher to keep it from stalling out itself. It will idle terribly until I put it in gear and actually drive it. Then it's normal until I let it sit for a few hours. I think something may be wrong with the choke but I'm not sure. Any input or suggestions? Also, how do I adjust the choke on the carb? Thanks guys.

Dr_Snooz
10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Sounds like you've found the problem already.

Sohcsleeper
10-02-2012, 05:54 AM
Well, I've found the vacuum leak but I think the choke is sticking or something too because I don't know why a leaky gasket would cause it to idle worse the longer it sits. It seems like its slowly dripping fuel internally because when I start it up cold, it runs extremely rich until I put it in gear and warm it up. Like I have to burn all the fuel out before it will run correctly. But I don't know where to adjust the choke.

Sohcsleeper
10-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Update: while taking off the carb, I noticed that the spring assembly that operates the throttle is pretty loose and sloppy, like I can jiggle it around. Is it supposed to be this way or should it have some tension?