PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Coolant Lines

-$MOKIN-
10-04-2012, 02:00 PM
I have a Automatic Transmition leak that i am trying to fiugre out where it is comming from ? When i was looking i noticed that the coolnt lines that go to the radiator might be on there wrong. ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS ? I think they are on backwards ?
Where do i start in finding the leak ?
I dont see fluid on the ground but the damn thing leaks alot somewhere.
Were do i start ?

MessyHonda
10-05-2012, 08:04 AM
go to the auto parts store and buy some fluid so you dont leak it all out or have it under the recommended specs. the next step is to clean up the whole area with engine degrease so like that you have a clean area to work with. drive it around and get it to full temp and now see where the leak is coming from.

-$MOKIN-
10-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks Messy i did that . And i found the leak .It was comming from a loose bolt on the casing .. Thank god i found it .. it took me awhile . Thanks for the input brother . The damn car runs better than it ever has right now .

ecogabriel
10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Though you solved your leak, please take a look at the transmission cooling hoses.
Mine was leaking a little from them, and being so old just could not tighten them to make them not to leak.
I bought new hose (3/8") and cut longer lines than the old ones. If in the future they leak from the clamps in the radiator, I can cut them a little and tighten them in an unused section - you do not need to tighten them to hell, anyway.
It is cheap insurance giving the age of our cars.

-$MOKIN-
10-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Though you solved your leak, please take a look at the transmission cooling hoses.
Mine was leaking a little from them, and being so old just could not tighten them to make them not to leak.
I bought new hose (3/8") and cut longer lines than the old ones. If in the future they leak from the clamps in the radiator, I can cut them a little and tighten them in an unused section - you do not need to tighten them to hell, anyway.
It is cheap insurance giving the age of our cars.

Thanks Eco...I did they all look good .. I replace one clamp . At first i thought it was them ut they wenrt wet .but i made sure they were all good.. Thanks again bro

POS carb
10-09-2012, 09:12 AM
just an fyi, it shouldn't matter if you reverse the cooler lines. It's just a copper pipe in there.

Dr_Snooz
10-09-2012, 07:28 PM
And if you ever pull both lines off and forget how they went on, just remember that Honda never designs lines to cross each other. They will always run parallel.

Also, those trans cooler lines will start to seep over time, so if they are all wet and filthy, then it's time to change them.

onebad4D
10-30-2012, 08:33 PM
@ecogabriel:

Is the 3/8" hose you're referring to part number 24? I don't want to order one from Honda --What is it made of (so I can pick up at a generic part store)?

http://parts.sonshonda.com/images/parts/honda/fullsize/975161.png

POS carb
10-31-2012, 05:08 AM
ask for transmission cooler hose by the foot at your local auto part. power steering hose will also work.

ecogabriel
11-02-2012, 06:32 PM
yes, they are (#21 and #24).

Just order transmission hose at any parts store in 3/8" (get new clamps also don't be cheap!) and then remove the cover from the old ones... you'll see what I am talking about once you get them out.

thomson85
12-19-2013, 09:42 PM
I hate to wake up an old thread. But has anyone put in an external trans filter on the cooler lines? Since our filters are internal and not so accessible, I have been considering this option.

Dr_Snooz
12-20-2013, 08:19 PM
If I had kept the AT, I would definitely have done it. You should be able to get an inline filter from any good parts store. These crazy transmissions run 300k miles before developing symptoms, so it may not be necessary. Just keep up with the maintenance and it should run a long time.