PDA

View Full Version : Dash clock

HLW
10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
M dash clock went out last week. When the ignition was on and the headlights were off it would show 1:00 and would not count time from there. Since I have an electronics engineering degree I decided to see if there was anything I could do to fix it before looking for a good one in a j/y.

I opened pried it open.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SxeM1crwHNg/UHJnZOELSVI/AAAAAAAAADE/VWQ7Ad18ZC0/w291-h218-n-k/DSCI0972.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NTnByLnq3_o/UHJnZNs-lSI/AAAAAAAAADM/ya68-lUi1tE/w652-h489-p-k/DSCI0968.JPG

All the parts looked OK except 90% of the solder joints were bad. If you look close you can see the crack in the solder joint in the pic below.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Tmt0G7OmXIo/UHJnZDPW8hI/AAAAAAAAADI/Dfnve_JmWFY/s680/zoomed_bad_solder_joint.png

I checked all the resisters and diode. All were good so I re-soldered everything and tested it. The clock works again.

Thought I should share this in case it might help anyone else.

Dr_Snooz
10-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the heads up. That's good info. The main relays are also plagued by bad solder joints.

My brother was an electronic engineering major too. I still take my broken stereo to him for repairs. He's the best.

Ayeobe
10-08-2012, 12:52 PM
My clock dims sometimes.. Gotta push on it to get it back =/

Thanks for the info!

Stealth
10-08-2012, 08:39 PM

HLW
10-08-2012, 11:44 PM
One thing that always bothers me, the trim/bracket around the clock just doesn't seem to click back into place like it used to, after removing it. The right side clicks in fine, but the left side just doesn't seem to want to clip in. Did anyone have a similar problem like this?

I found that even though the trim looks the same right side up and upside down, when you put it in upside down, it does not clip in properly. Rotate it 180 and it clips properly. The clips are angled a little.

Stealth
10-09-2012, 05:15 AM

MessyHonda
10-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Really? It doesn't seem the want to clip in the other way. I'll try it again anyways. Thanks.

i remember when i was at the junkyard i took a black trim bezel and when i put it on my car it would fall off. so i just bent the tabs a bit so now it will click in.

HLW
10-09-2012, 10:00 PM
i remember when i was at the junkyard i took a black trim bezel and when i put it on my car it would fall off. so i just bent the tabs a bit so now it will click in.

That's what I thought the issue with mine was, but when I went to bend the tabs, I noticed they are angled on the part that contacts the dash where it clips in so I tried rotating it 180 and that was the issue for mine.

DBMaster
10-10-2012, 10:19 AM
HLW, I PM'd you but missed the fact that you fixed your clock. I have a very clean spare around if anyone needs it you can have it for the cost of a Priority Mail small flat rate box. I think that amounts to about $5 and change. PM me and the first PM received that follows up with a PayPal transfer gets it shipped to them asap.

THIS HAS BEEN SPOKEN FOR. I AM GLAD SOMEONE WAS ABLE TO USE IT.

L8R,

seancmadison
03-07-2014, 12:11 PM
So I have only seen my clock work three times. First time When I push on it sometimes it turns on. I thought it was the clock and swapped it for a known working one thst was the second time but wile cleaning around it I pushed it and it turned off for what I thought was goin to be forever. Then a week ago it turned on for less than a minute. Would it be the clock? Or am I in for a bag of worms. And its a digital if that helps

Dr_Snooz
03-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Sounds like bad solder joints to me. There really isn't anything behind the clock other than wires.

HLW
03-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Snooz is right. Bad solder joints is most likely your problem. Open the clocks and re-solder all the solder joints.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk