PDA

View Full Version : Sold my Chevy truck for a Honda

Shawn87AccordDx
10-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi all,

I just sold my 1987 Chevy 4x4 truck & used the money to buy a 1987 Honda Accord Dx with 157xxx. It has a hookup for being towed behind an RV and was owned by an older couple, so I think a few of those miles might not be on the engine.

About me:
Former USMC machine gunner with 3/7. Served in Ramadi, Iraq in 2005 where I was injured by an IED blast & was retired medically. I'm now an associate youth pastor & run a leadership program at my church. Married since December 2010. We have 2 dogs, Gunner (pocket Beagle) & Bella (pocket Puggle).

I'm new to Honda's but the mpg is way better than the 11 I was getting in the truck.

I'm taking the car in to Greg's Japanese Auto for a full inspection on Friday, then doing a full tune up.

Shawn87AccordDx
10-09-2012, 05:57 PM
And here's a pic of the Dx...

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii640/Shawn_Seeley/Image_zps6d8c814b.jpg

elarson88
10-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Nice! It looks like a twin of the first 3gee I bought. These are great cars. Where do you live that you can find them with no rust?

Dr_Snooz
10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Boy, if I had to choose between my 3g and my Chevy truck, it would be a tough call. Your new car looks epic. I hope the VA is taking good care of you.

Welcome!

2ndGenGuy
10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
What a minter! Your dogs should be right at home in the back with the seats folded down. :)

Shawn87AccordDx
10-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Nice! It looks like a twin of the first 3gee I bought. These are great cars. Where do you live that you can find them with no rust?

Kent, WA. About 30 minutes southeast of Seattle.

Honda Man
10-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Well dam that's a perrty lookin hatch ey! Welcome from Cali! That's one hell of a decision to go from an 87 Chevy to an 87 hatch. Vary good choice though!

charliekuney
10-12-2012, 06:08 PM
...it takes you 30 minutes to get from Seattle to Kent? lol

I want a DX hatch! Is it a manual?

Shawn87AccordDx
10-12-2012, 11:25 PM
So after taking my car in, here's what the guys at Greg's Japanese Auto had to say:

Recommended Repairs and Services:

Reccomend replace left headlight linkage (part was not immediately available)
Reccomend replace radiator cap (done by me today)
Reccomend replace front struts (quote of $406 + tax)
Reccomend brake fluid exchange (quote of $68 + tax but I'll do it)
Reccomend replace left front wheel bearing (quote of $258 + tax but I'll do it)
Reccomend replace catalytic converter (quote of $408 + tax but technician actually told me not to worry about it)
Reccomend replace steering rack (quote of $825 + tax but technician actually told me to just top off PS fluid)
Reccomend replace rear wheel cylinders and install new shoes (quote of $384 + tax but I'll do it)

All in all, I think I got a decent car.

I'll be replacing the front left wheel bearing first, followed by the rear wheel cylinders & new shoes. Brake fluid after that.

Civic Accord Honda
10-12-2012, 11:53 PM
welcome! very clean car! <3 hatchies!

on with the list of work you need done

1. linkage can be had at the junkyard for a couple bucks
3. if you want a stock ride you can check out Rockauto.com and order ready struts. its a new strut with spring all installed ready to bolt in(no need for spring compressor!) and only about $100 each. and the struts are really easy to change on this!
6, on the cat if you dont have emission testings you can unbolt the cat (6 bolts) then take a pipe and big hammer and knock the insides out. if yours is plugged up it will help improve your gas millage and performance. you can also drop like $30 on a "ebay test pipe" which just replaces the cat with a resonator
8. O_O $384 for shoes and wheel cylinders?!?! a set of brake shoes is about $20. hardware kit for both sides is $10 and wheel cylinders are $10 each! only takes a half hour to do the work!

also when you do the brake fluid i recommend the Valvoline dot 4 synthetic (it is compatible with the old dot3 but your be flushing it all out anyway). it has a much higher boiling point. and theses old hondas have pretty small brakes that like to boil going down steep mountain roads. but ever since i started using dot 4 i haven’t had any issues

Shawn87AccordDx
10-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the tips!

Dr_Snooz
10-13-2012, 08:31 AM
You should always verify for yourself all the repairs a shop recommends. If the rack doesn't leak and holds the road, then there's no good reason to replace it. If the front wheel bearing isn't howling, don't waste your money. Don't let the shop spend your money for you unless you've satisfied yourself that it needs to be done.

Shawn87AccordDx
10-13-2012, 09:46 AM
You should always verify for yourself all the repairs a shop recommends. If the rack doesn't leak and holds the road, then there's no good reason to replace it. If the front wheel bearing isn't howling, don't waste your money. Don't let the shop spend your money for you unless you've satisfied yourself that it needs to be done.

I'll check for leaks today with a huge sheet of cardboard. As for the bearing, I'll check the wheel play today too.

2oodoor
10-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Lol add to list, remove small panel over rearview mirror and unplug very annoying noise maker.yes you can do this to keep your sanity, cost FREE

I enjoy driving our hatch so much more after this mod. Lol

Shawn87AccordDx
10-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Lol add to list, remove small panel over rearview mirror and unplug very annoying noise maker.yes you can do this to keep your sanity, cost FREE

I enjoy driving our hatch so much more after this mod. Lol

What small panel?

2oodoor
10-14-2012, 03:56 AM
The overhead seat belt warning light thing, the sound is inside it. Annoying it goes off anytime you open the door with the car running. The light will still come on but unplugging stops the noise.

Shawn87AccordDx
10-14-2012, 06:05 AM
The overhead seat belt warning light thing, the sound is inside it. Annoying it goes off anytime you open the door with the car running. The light will still come on but unplugging stops the noise.

Ah. I think my seatbelt weight sensor must have issues. The passenger side light comes on with no one in it.

obdriver6
10-29-2012, 03:50 PM
The light on top always stays on if the seat belts are not buckled on. Once you do, they will turn off.

Skellington
10-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Nice hatch. I think mine was once that color.

Shawn87AccordDx
11-03-2012, 02:02 PM
3. if you want a stock ride you can check out Rockauto.com and order ready struts. its a new strut with spring all installed ready to bolt in(no need for spring compressor!) and only about $100 each. and the struts are really easy to change on this!

Can you find a link to the ready struts on Rockauto.com? I didn't see any here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1166879&parttype=7584

HON-DUH
11-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for you're service sir!

As for your hatch, it looks mint!

Congrats!

Civic Accord Honda
11-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Can you find a link to the ready struts on Rockauto.com? I didn't see any here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1166879&parttype=7584

wow thats odd they dont seem to have the ready struts for the 3g anymore . even autozone doesn’t seem to have them :(

2geeSEi
11-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Just get a loaner strut spring compressor from Autozone and take it back when you're done.