PDA

View Full Version : Issue with positive camber on stock suspension

mrma5b
10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone.

I have an 89 LXi Coupe, and I just recently replaced most of the ball joints/bushings in the front end suspension. The lower ball joints and bushings were purchased from the dealership, but the tie rod ends and the upper control arms were aftermarket, since they weren't available from the dealer.

Before all this work, my alignment was pretty close to stock specs. However, I now have some positive camber (top of wheel sticks out appx. 0.5 inches from the bottom), which I can't adjust.

I've read many threads about trying to install prelude control arms to adjust camber, but they all seem to address camber after the car has been lowered. In my case, the car's suspension is stock, and I would like to keep it that way.

So I guess my question is whether the prelude arms will reduce positive camber in a stock supension setup, or if I should try my luck with another set of Accord UCAs?

import racer
10-10-2012, 12:23 PM
They might help but why it's messed up the camber to start with is what u should be concerned with.stay away from those after-market suspension parts from china.are u sure everything is tight to start with.

mrma5b
10-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Everything was tightened and torqued to spec.

I would get upper control arms from the dealership, but they didn't have any available for the driver's side. Are there any good aftermarket brands that I could try instead?

import racer
10-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Most big auto parts stores have quality parts,but you can ask them the brand like moog,555,trw.If everything is tight you should not have pos camber,soulds like something is not put in place.Go over everything and check it again.

2ndGenGuy
10-10-2012, 10:08 PM
This might be basic and stupid to suggest, but did you drive the car around after you dropped it off the jackstands? When you drop it to the ground, the tires will keep the suspension from fully compressing... Might settle in after a quick spin around the block.

POS carb
10-11-2012, 06:43 AM
This might be basic and stupid to suggest, but did you drive the car around after you dropped it off the jackstands? When you drop it to the ground, the tires will keep the suspension from fully compressing... Might settle in after a quick spin around the block.

agreed. Just a quick roll up and down your driveway one time should set it back properly if this is the issue.
Camber is not adjustable, if your camber is wrong then there is a problem with a bent control arm or the frame is tweaked. Changing to a prelude arm is a remedy but not the correct solution.

Vanilla Sky
10-11-2012, 07:15 AM
I seem to recall someone having this issue before with cheap UCAs, and the fix was to install Moog replacements. I'm sure any high quality replacement should suffice.

mrma5b
10-11-2012, 11:24 AM

I've been driving the car for about 2 weeks now, and the camber hasn't really changed at all from when I installed the new parts.

agreed. Just a quick roll up and down your driveway one time should set it back properly if this is the issue.
Camber is not adjustable, if your camber is wrong then there is a problem with a bent control arm or the frame is tweaked. Changing to a prelude arm is a remedy but not the correct solution.

The alignment was fine before the new control arms and ball joints, so I doubt the frame itself has been damaged in any way. I'm thinking just trying a set of Moog control arms is the next step I need to take.

Oldblueaccord
10-13-2012, 06:27 AM
Mrma what are your actual alignment specs?

Wp