PDA

View Full Version : 2k-3k hessitation

maine0388
10-11-2012, 04:51 AM
Got a little bit of a concern going on with my 87 lx carbed accord. Done a few searches and have come up with mixed results. A couple months ago I noticed a hessitation when accelerating, usually between 2.5k and 2.8k which would be elminated by accelerating a little harder than normal. Didnt think much of it just thought i needed a tune up. Then one day it just dies.
Turns out the timing belt stripped at the crank. Valves looked ok so I got the cranked lined up with the cam and threw a new belt on. Started up and idled just fine. Been driving it for a week now since the belt replacement and its still doing the same thing. Ive noticed it getting a little worse actually. Im going to go out on a limb and say its a timing issue. Im getting ready to do a tune up and was wondering if there is anything else I should look for. Has 135,xxx miles on it and the body is in great condition so I would like to do all I can to hopefully get another 100k miles out of it. Ive read something about the vaccum advance diaphrams, where are they located and what should I be looking for when checking them. This is my first carbed car and dont know much about the mechanics of how they work but im mechanically inclined to do most things considering i just did a timing belt myself. Thanks to the posts on this forum that is. Everything is stock. Has AC but no belt running compressor. Starts, warms, idles, and otherwise drives fine except the surges in the 2k-3k range on normal conservative acceleration.

Sorry for the long post and thank you all in advance for any insight you may have to give.

Buzo
10-11-2012, 06:43 AM
The little venturis in the top of the carb are loose. remove the air filter and try to move them with your fingers, if they move, you need to tighten both of them using the respective screw that is in the back of the carb. I don't recall if this can be done with the carb installed or not. try to just tighten them first and see if the problem gets solved. If not you may need to change their oring's.

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/2816/venturi.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/venturi.png/)

maine0388
10-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks ill give it a shot. Would never have thought of that. Are they what holds the butterflies?

Buzo
10-12-2012, 08:33 AM
They are the little round things in the center of each throttle. I think I used a wrong picture, but the idea is the same regardless of the model of the carb.

2oodoor
10-12-2012, 01:34 PM
you will probably enjoy a surprising amount of pep too if you advance the base ignition timing about 2-3 degrees higher than the recommended 15btc. Every one Ive had responded really well to this and eliminated some little hesitations and running issues with no negative effects or preignition.