PDA

View Full Version : Oh so Lovely emissions

Angelois
10-12-2012, 06:43 AM
So last summer I did some exhaust work, rusted pipe and a bad cat. So well on a tight budget I decided to just cut the whole section out and replace it with a flex pipe. Car of course ran a bit better and well I was due for emissions in June and finally went yesterday. Well I passed the HC, CO, and NOx tests without a cat..... I passed all of the tests and still failed the "visual inspection" all cause I have no Cat. I understand thats a requirement to pass. But still if I pass the emissions test yet still fail because the part isnt there..... how is that fair?!? Anyways what do you think about a Universal Cat just to pass the emissions or even a used cat (maybe hollowed out) to pass? Or would it be better now if i jsut put a univeral one on now and leave it since I can afford it now? your opinions would be appreciated lol! But Im just so mad that I failed with passing numbers.

cygnus x-1
10-12-2012, 07:18 AM
So last summer I did some exhaust work, rusted pipe and a bad cat. So well on a tight budget I decided to just cut the whole section out and replace it with a flex pipe. Car of course ran a bit better and well I was due for emissions in June and finally went yesterday. Well I passed the HC, CO, and NOx tests without a cat..... I passed all of the tests and still failed the "visual inspection" all cause I have no Cat. I understand thats a requirement to pass. But still if I pass the emissions test yet still fail because the part isnt there..... how is that fair?!? Anyways what do you think about a Universal Cat just to pass the emissions or even a used cat (maybe hollowed out) to pass? Or would it be better now if i jsut put a univeral one on now and leave it since I can afford it now? your opinions would be appreciated lol! But Im just so mad that I failed with passing numbers.

You failed because it's technically illegal to modify any emission control according to the federal government. And the states follow the same rules. Here in IL they used to do the visual inspection first and they wouldn't even let you test if you fail the visual. Now they don't test cars older than 1996 because there just aren't enough of them around to bother anymore (road salt kills them).

I think the easiest thing for you would be to put in a universal cat and leave it. They aren't that expensive anymore and won't create any significant exhaust restriction with a stock engine.

C|

Dr_Snooz
10-12-2012, 06:31 PM
What state are you in?