PDA

View Full Version : No Fuel Delivery from brand new pump

bryan42688
10-12-2012, 01:12 PM
I have a brand new pump and relay in place , the old pump i turn the key to the on position and hear nothing, new pump i hear a slight buzz when i put the key to the on position, but nothing is coming out the pump i confirmed by removing the hose directly to the pump(and yes there is about 1 gallon of gas in the tank for sure that was my first step to trouble shooting) im not sure where to go with this what to do or what i should do , i believe the pump is defective or its being shut off somehow, when the pump new pump comes on for a second it cuts right back out doesn't really seem like any of my 3geez made this sound but who knows i do know why this is relevant but my tach is moving when i crank the engine and when i pour gas into the carb it does start and the tach does work Please HELP i believe the pump is airtek brand something like that

Legend_master
10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I have a brand new pump and relay in place , the old pump i turn the key to the on position and hear nothing, new pump i hear a slight buzz when i put the key to the on position, but nothing is coming out the pump i confirmed by removing the hose directly to the pump(and yes there is about 1 gallon of gas in the tank for sure that was my first step to trouble shooting) im not sure where to go with this what to do or what i should do , i believe the pump is defective or its being shut off somehow, when the pump new pump comes on for a second it cuts right back out doesn't really seem like any of my 3geez made this sound but who knows i do know why this is relevant but my tach is moving when i crank the engine and when i pour gas into the carb it does start and the tach does work Please HELP i believe the pump is airtek brand something like that

Have you checked the fuse for the fuel pump?

bryan42688
10-12-2012, 02:25 PM
yes i did im sorry i did not mention i checked the fuse 15amp number one under dash!!!

Legend_master
10-12-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm gonna say it is something wrong with the fuel pump relay(maybe mad from the factory), I am not very familiar with the fuel pump system for the carb 3geez. Maybe lost can chime in with some info.

Vanilla Sky
10-12-2012, 02:31 PM
So, it's priming and then not running? Sounds like a main relay to me. More fuel pumps get replaced in these cars due to bad main relays than for any other reason.

bryan42688
10-12-2012, 02:47 PM
let me confirm the part i replaced was in the back of the fuse box under the dash it is metal and has 4 prongs and 5 holes for prongs , im sorry my car is three miles away from me so i cant take a picture

bryan42688
10-12-2012, 02:49 PM
i just confirmed on rockauto the part i replaced was the fuel pump relay so your thinking i should replace this again? here is the part , thank you http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1166914&parttype=3380

Vanilla Sky
10-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Yup, that's the relay for a carbed car. Should have a grey case, looks like this:

http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=39219&imageurl=http%3A//www.rockauto.com/info/SMP/RY152_PRIMARY.jpg

Legend_master
10-12-2012, 02:54 PM
i just confirmed on rockauto the part i replaced was the fuel pump relay so your thinking i should replace this again? here is the part , thank you http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1166914&parttype=3380

If you still have your old one, try taking it apart and re-soldering all the leads on the bottom. Works like a charm for me every time. I never buy new ones, cause I'm cheap, and I've never heard good things about new ones.

Vanilla Sky
10-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Somehow, I glazed right over the "and relay" part in your initial post. Have you tested for power at the plug in the back when you're cranking the engine?

bryan42688
10-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Somehow, I glazed right over the "and relay" part in your initial post. Have you tested for power at the plug in the back when you're cranking the engine?

no i did not confirm power at the at the switch while cranking what would this indicate? and yes i hear it priming and how exactly does sodering the bottom connections help ,

thanks all for the great help

Vanilla Sky
10-12-2012, 03:28 PM
It would indicate that there is power at the terminal, and leaves only the pump to question.

bryan42688
10-12-2012, 03:48 PM
understood 100% im sure i will be able to solve the issue if not then ill be asking more questions

Vanilla Sky
10-12-2012, 05:27 PM
That's what we're here for. Downloading the manual might help out a ton with the diagnostic procedures.