PDA

View Full Version : rack n pinion

allaces
10-14-2012, 11:19 AM
ok was looking for steering fliud leak and found hose hanging off and no boot around rack on right n left boot busted. wondering if i should just replace rack n pinion or replace boots n connect line?

nswst8
10-14-2012, 11:29 AM
If the rack is not leaking, then just replace the bellows. The hose is the air equalizing hose that attaches between the bellows.

allaces
10-14-2012, 01:56 PM
will do..ill check it out. replacing boots would be alot cheaper. i spotted an 87 at pick n pull n it was really clean underneath. would u trust taken parts from there?

nswst8
10-14-2012, 02:12 PM
I use junkyard parts whenever I can but you must remember that it is a used part. So use your best judgement.

Dr_Snooz
10-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Usually the boots shred because they get loaded full of oil leaking from the ends of the rack. If everything under there is drenched in oil and you're continually losing fluid, then plan on replacing the rack.

allaces
10-14-2012, 05:42 PM
yeah it is a mess under mine, oil everywhere.

88Accord-DX
10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
As much trouble as it is to replace a bellow & your rack is probably leaking, might as well replace the whole thing with a reman... You will need an alighnment also if you replace the rack & pinion.. You can get it close with marking threads & counting turns on the outer tie rod end & measurements.

DBMaster
10-15-2012, 08:27 AM
I got very close to correct alignment specs by marking the garage floor from a plumb line hung from a set point on the steering knuckle. Counting threads resulted in being way off. A short while before my rack puked out all its fluid I replaced the boots. They were plenty wet. How stupid was I for doing that? Of course, I didn't ask here before I did it. :)

I had a number of slow leaks that accumulated until I was having to add fluid a couple times a week. Then, one day as I was pulling into my garage I left a trail of fluid all the way up the driveway. If you have leaks in the rack do plan on replacing it.

POS carb
10-15-2012, 09:50 AM
if the boot is ripped just change it. if it is leaking fluid then the rack seals are bad. I would not use a junkyard rack. There is a lot of labor to replace the rack and I would be pissed if I had to do it twice.

allaces
10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
thanks for advice everyone. decided to go new rack. time to search for diy