PDA

View Full Version : problem with my 1982 accord hatch

ATLien
10-17-2012, 09:41 PM
i bought a 1982 honda accord hatch back! it has the 1.8L vtec jk naw but 1.8L 4cly ek1 3bbl carbureted

i bought the car not running!
its sitting at my uncles tire shop and next to his shop theres a mechanic and he took a look at it ..but he said he doesnt know shit about carburetors and said maybe i need a new distributor so i bought one and installed it and car only turned on with spray starter fluid and callled it a day next day call a friend that knows a bit about carbs but told me when he got there he knows about small carbs not car ones lol but yeah he messed with it and the carburetor looked brand spanking new!and i told him it might be the float but he said the it cant be that because the carburetor looks brand new and he started to mess with it while i went to buy a new battery for the car and installed the new battery and came back and he said the fuel pump is flooding the carburetor and the previous owner installed the new electric fuel pump ..but i dont know if he did it correctly because the fuel pump wire was connected straight to the fuse box? soo we tried starting the car but this time we disconnected the fuel pump wires from each other and started the car deflooding it if thats how you call it.....and since i never got to drive the car i got in the car and my friends poped the hood and connected the fuel pump wires together for like few secs to pump fuel into the carb and drove it around and kept repeating that...does any one have any suggestions ?

and it back fires

thanks, jaison!

Dr_Snooz
10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
There is a sight glass on the side of the carb. In a properly working carb, the fuel level will fall in the middle of the glass. If it doesn't, then you have issues that most likely require a rebuild: sunk float, bad needle valves, etc. If you need a rebuild, then consider a Weber swap if your emissions laws will allow it.